I'm Not Me Without You

Thief of Words

WH3N- I'm Not Me Without You

The next day was the day. The best moment of his life as both a nature spirit and a human. Kim Minjae had a date. Ever since Pirape came up with that idea yesterday, Minjae was all smiles. Hikaru didn't return to the library which meant the centaur had to take his place and keep an eye on the business. Dohyun was reading silently next to Fei, who was researching stories on the internet.

But to the underworld with them! Minjae was in his apartment, which was two subway stations from Ethos, and he was getting ready for his date. Although he was nervous, he already chose his style for the day: he was going to be semi-casual with a tint of prince charming. He stared at his reflection in the mirror and spun around until he felt like he was ready. He checked the time and noticed he had to leave or he will be late.

When Minjae arrived in the square in Gwanghwamun he walked to their meeting spot in front of King Sejong's statue and gave a happy sigh. In his hand he held maybe a dozen flyers which he planned to forget somewhere and be done with. His mission was not about publicity but about that restaurant in Jonggak where the building seemed ready to collapse.

"Morning," was Eunbin's tired salute. "Is that all? I swear I saw a box full of them at the library." She added noticing the amount of flyers.

Unlike the raven, the human girl didn't choose glamorous clothes since she knew they had to work not just have a walk.

"We start small and see how many get in the trash can." Minjae replied, containing his excitement.

Eunbin nodded in understanding and they started to make their way towards the restaurant. But before that, Minjae was careful to keep up the appearances and he gave a few flyers to passer byes that seemed interested in books. It was all going smoothly until they were halfway to Jonggak and with nothing left to do.

"How long have you worked at the library?" Eunbin asked, breaking the silence.

"Probably a few years but it feels like forever." He said although he couldn't even remember when Hades gave Fei the building. "It's always been my dream to work with my friends."

"You and Fei seem very close." Eunbin noted looking ahead. Minjae had to turn his head from her in order to express his joy in her interest. "How long have you known each other?"

"Very long. Fei has always been by herself, or at least she was when I met her. I used to fly for long hours around her little house and watch how she interacted with her neighbours. She didn't like people but if one of them was in danger, she was the first to help them. The first time I really took notice of her was when she saved a rabbit. The way her face softened up and how she empathized with his pain made me sure of her character. Fei loves nature more than anything else. I had a bad fall one night and I can't remember anything from that day except her voice singing me a lullaby. She wanted to comfort me and that was the easiest way. Afterwards I just kept going back to her and eventually-" He stopped realizing what he was about to say. Minjae glanced at Eunbin but the woman had a poker face.

"You sound like you're in love with her." She said with an awkward chuckle.

"Hell no! No, that's too much, even for me. I love her, I really do but I could never get closer to her, like kiss her or something." He defended himself, his whole body shuddering at the idea. "What about you?"

"What about me?" Eunbin asked sounding amused.

"You're a mystery to me. I don't really know anything about you except that you like clothes and you can really kick my if you want to." He said chuckling at the memory.

"There is nothing to say. I'm an only child and I had a very comfortable life until a few months ago."

"Why? What happened?"

Eunbin bit her lip, thinking if she should really tell him the truth or not. But there was something about his eyes and the whole vibe he was emitting that made her feel safe.

"I lost everything, in a way." She said but Minaje didn't look like he understood much of that short explanation, "My husband filed for a divorce. I've been a free woman for a week or so."

Minjae stopped and stared at her with his mouth wide open. He looked like the screaming painting, only he wasn't afraid but stunned.

"You were married?! How old are you? 24, 25?!"

Eunbin's eyes widened at Minjae's innocent view and slapped his arm.

"I'm 32, actually. I'll take this as a compliment." She said pointing at his expression. "I got married at 25 and was planning on having a happy family but that didn't last for long." She said sounding sour.

"Can I ask why you divorced?"

"Because I can't have children." She said and took a long breathe in before continuing. "Nothing worked and he got tired of trying. Apparently, we couldn’t be a family if we couldn’t bring a soul into the world. So here I am."

Minjae stared at her in a way that felt very odd for Eunbin. There was definitely understanding and sorrow but she couldn't see the emotion that she was expecting, which was pity. Even her parents threw her pitiful glances now and then, friends even had a party for her in order to move on and her doctor sighed heavily when they got the last blood test. But this man that she had met only a handful of times made her feel like it wasn't her fault.

"You don't have to say anything." Eunbin said when he opened his mouth.

"Actually, I wanted to say that we've arrived at the restaurant." He said with a cheeky smile.

They both turned towards the building and Minjae gasped. He hurried to the same spot that Orpheus vanished from and felt this tremendous vibration coming from below. Humans weren't aware but something very strong spiritually had its source under their feet.

"The Father of Calypso?" Eunbin asked curiously. When Minjae didn't answer, she turned to look at him. "Is there something wrong?"

Minjae nodded and grabbed his phone quickly.

"I have to call Fei. This is really bad." He said in one breath but he couldn't even press the button because something came right through his chest. Eunbin shouted as Minjae fell on the ground with an arrow coming out of him and already losing consciousness.


When Minjae was wounded, the whole library felt this sudden tension. Fei was enjoying herself with Dohyun when she stopped and her smile fell. She glanced at Pirape and they both nodded, knowing they had to get there in a blink. Dohyun didn't even have enough time to ask what was going on because Fei was already gone.

She used the elevator from the afterlife in order to arrive nearby before she literally ran like a crazy woman. Eunbin was in the middle of a watching crowd that either wanted to call the ambulance or had their phones in hand, recording everything.

"Kim Minjae!" She yelled through the multitude of curious people. His eyes opened as if he were electrocuted but it was still far from being alright. "Minjae! What the-" she threw herself next to him and analysed the damage. Whoever threw the arrow was not human, he or she needed incredible skill to reach a target that was not only far but also could hear better than most people. He was a nature spirit and a mere arrow wouldn't do much to him and yet this one in his chest was different. "It's drawing his life energy...We need to get it out of him right now or he will die." Fei said looking at Eunbin.

"Wh-what do you want me to do? We should better call for the ambulance and-"

"The ambulance can't do anything to help him. You need to take it out right now." Fei interrupted the shaking woman.

"Why don't you do it then?"

"Because whatever it's doing to him will also have an effect on me. Just pull it out quickly. You can close your eyes if you feel like it's too much. Just do it fast."

Eunbin swallowed nervously and nodded. She breathed out three times before she pulled it out with a shriek.

"You'll be fine. I'm here, you'll be fine." Fei was whispering like a mantra.

But at a closer inspection, Eunbin noticed that Fei was holding one of Minjae's hands tightly and something seemed to be going from him to her. As this was happening, Eunbin realized that Fei was taking Minjae's pain because while his wound was closing and his face was coming back to normal, Fei was crying.

"Please take my phone and call Pirape. I don't think I can carry him all the way to the library." Fei whispered before she fell back on her bottom looking like she was the one who got hurt.


Fei stood by Minjae's side the whole time. She wasn't in the best condition since she absorbed his wound and healed it. However, she still held his hand and waited patiently for the raven to open his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I have lost focus for too long. It's not going to happen again, I promise." She mumbled feeling like she was the cause of all problems.

He didn't wake up nor did he chuckle and told her it was alright. He was breathing but he was still unconscious. It must have been a harsh blow on his body.

Since there was nothing else she could do, Fei walked down stairs. Eunbin was there, shaken by everything she had witnessed. One moment they were laughing and the next, someone shot an arrow right through Minjae's chest.

"Will he be alright?" She asked as soon as she saw Fei descend the stairs. "Shouldn't we get him to a hospital? He-"

"He's fine. He'll recuperate. If you want to do something for him, just come and visit. You are his angel after all." Fei replied with a mischievous smile.

"What?" Eunbin asked not really sure of what that meant.

Fei laughed and patted the girl on her head.

"Go home and rest. You did me a great favour by putting up with that grumpy raven." Fei said not filtering her words.

When the human was gone, which took quite a bit of persuasion, Fei sat at the table and placed her head on her hands. She was emotionally tired and it was just a taste of what could happen. Whoever shot that arrow, it was well trained, even a daughter of Artemis. That possibility brought grim thoughts to Fei.

It was only an hour later when she heard the door to the afterlife barge open and she felt the imperial hatred of the lord.

"Fei!"

She turned to see Hwanung enter with an angry expression. Behind him was Death who seemed to have already gotten his share of lectures.

"You! How could you let this happen?! And what was that in the centre of the city, hm? Someone could have gotten hurt or killed!" He was raging.

"I don't see into the future. There was no way I could foresee such events. Minjae was hurt because you prefer to close your eyes to what is happening in the real world." She said glaring at the tall deity.

"It's not just her fault, sir. We're dealing with something more dangerous." Death interfered taking her side.

"Really? And what is this danger? Where is it coming from? And why couldn't a nymph that always brags about her warrior past take care of a book?" He asked looking at both of them from his imaginary pedestal.

"From Tartarus, most likely. There are signs that-"

"Tartarus! Don’t make me laugh, boy. Don’t take her defence when we both know she doesn’t deserve it. All she’s ever done was create trouble for us. Your mother sacrificed herself to get this insignificant nymph out of this world and yet you’re taking her side? You are not friends. Don't forget that." Hwanung barked at Death whose eyes widened at the random information about his past.

Fei couldn't believe how the great lord could be so insensitive.

"His mother has nothing to do with this. You say you are the great regent but I don't see you doing anything that could benefit your people. All you do is to bathe in pleasures. You are not different from Dionysus." Fei said knowing that he detested the god of wine.

Hwanung looked ready to blow up.

"You insolent wench!" He shouted and slapped her hard.

Only, he didn't. He wanted to but someone rushed in front of Fei and took the hit. A slap from such a high deity could knee a nymph. It was strong enough to throw a human a few feet. But Dohyun didn't budge. He got slapped by a mythological being and he didn't even flinch. Both Hwanung and Fei were shocked by what they witnessed.

"What-" Hwanung couldn't say anything because Hades rushed in, looking all dishevelled. The first thing he took notice of was the bloodlust in Dohyun's crystal eyes. He glanced at Fei and realized a lot was happening behind his back.

"We need to have a discussion. Just us, the grown-ups." He said and both deities were engulfed in fire before they disappeared.

Fei first looked at Death. He was shaken to the core because memories have been triggered.

"Are you alright?" She asked him first since Dohyun seemed to come slowly back to reality.

"I...I'll go." Death whispered and rushed back into the afterlife.

Now that it was just the two of them, Fei concentrated on her boyfriend. She pulled his hair back and froze. He had a scar that went down his temple. It was glowing, as were his eyes. When he calmed down, so did all these elements.

"You-" she wanted to touch his cheek but he caught her hand. His grasp was very strong which made Fei realize he was still...going through something.

"I have to go now. I feel like I'm going to break something if not." He said very seriously.