Analogue

Thief of Words

Buzz- Analogue

 

All alone in her apartment, Orpheus was moved on the couch with his head leaned back after his nose was broken by a feisty woman. He chuckled at how he was hit by someone with amazonian strength but soon stopped because it physically hurt. 

Taking a look around the small living room, he noticed that although Fei didn't eat, she still had an equipped kitchen. It seemed that somebody was using it because the counters were full and there were bags of food thrown here and there. 

Behind the couch she had an interesting and highly valued collection of books. None were in greek which picked his interest.

"Don't even think of touching one of them." She said strictly as soon as she entered with a pack of ice. 

"I was just looking." 

"Don't do that either." She added throwing him the ice. He immediately put it on his cheek and sighed at how cold it felt. 

"What's there? They don't seem to be western books." 

"Wouldn't you like to know?" She asked sarcastically before she leaned on one of the counters. There was no wall to divide the two rooms. "I have a better question. What makes you believe that your wife is in my library?" 

He didn't have time to answer because Death barged in with sullen eyes. Orpheus watched the sulky creature and blinked several times before he finally opened his mouth.

"You have the Soul Registry. Isn't that were the names of the deceased are? Well, I can feel that Eurydice is not dead anymore." 

"Yeah. A saviour came from the sky and rose her from the grave. You should have seen it, it was a miracle." Death said with a serious face. Orpheus wondered for a minute if he was truly sarcastic. "If someone returns, under any form, I know. I am Death." 

"How long have you had this position for? You weren't even born when I lived like a normal person. Believe me, I know that Hades doesn't tell you everything." Orpheus said narrowing his eyes at Death itself. 

"How can you be so sure that she returned? Even if, let's say, she did revive, she cannot take a real form. She has been dead for too long." 

"I know. I know for sure. And I know she isn't the only one." 

Fei and Death glanced at each other with worry.

"Why don't you sing for her then?" Fei asked staring at the famous musician. "She can hear you no matter where she is." 

"But if she doesn't have a form then she is just a fading spirit. I need her to become complete." 

"And how do you plan to do what not even Death can?" 

Orpheus bit his lip and struggled with the answer. 

"There is a way. I heard from someone that you can bring people back to life." 

"Really? And how's that?" 

"By never having them killed in the first place." Orpheus answered knowing it was big news. But none seemed surprised. "Did you know about it already?"

"Shut up." Death said so cold and bossy that it resonated in the whole library. It was this sudden chill that everyone got. 


Dohyun glanced at Minjae and noticed he wasn't looking up from the cashing machine. Meanwhile, he sat across Park Eunbin who was silently sipping from a plastic cup filled with cheap coffee. He could  see why Minjae liked her. She had long black hair, she had dimples when she smiled and moreover, her whole face lit up and her thoughts were all visible her face. 

"Are you working here too?" She suddenly asked feeling his gaze. 

"No. I just come here for my own work. It's a peaceful place." 

"I noticed." She said both remembering the scene from earlier. 

"That was a surprise event. I don't think I had ever seen Fei so disturbed before." He said. Well, he did see her get very serious when she was fighting but that was under different circumstances. "Your kick was high. Have you taken taekwondo lessons before?" 

"No. I used to be bullied in high school so I used that as a learning experience." 

Dohyun was not sure if he should believe her or not. Eunbin started to laugh and hit his shoulder playfully.

"Yes, I did take a few lessons. It's a dangerous world for women, even now." She said widening her big eyes. "So, what do you do here?" 

"I draw. I'm a webtoon artist."

"And what's the story about?" She asked looking interested.

Dohyun glanced at Minjae and saw the raven watch with a disappointed expression. He looked like he wanted to come and chat with his crush but he had a blank mind. 

"A...nymph." he said the truth. "She has big curious eyes and long luscious hair. She came to Korea on a ship from Europe with some merchants and then she met the king. From then on, it gets rather unpleasant. Battles and wars and all that." He said not really telling this woman all that he has come up with. "But she has a good friend, a companion. He can change from a human to a raven." 

"Like a metamorphosis?" She asked.

"Sure. And he is in love with this warrior girl. He likes her so much that he grows shy and cannot say a word around her." 

"Well, isn't that dramatic." Minjae interfered with a strong slap on Dohyun's back. 

"It actually sounds really nice." Eunbin said surprising Minjae. "But you should be careful not to get too attached to your character. A good ending is one when someone dies." 

Dohyun stared at this girl with confusion but Minjae chuckled. 

"Everyone dies in this story. Believe me." 

A loud sound made everyone turn their attention upstairs. A tall and grumpy man walked downstairs looking ready to kill somebody. 

"Who's that?" Eunbin asked.

"Death." Dohyun mumbled. Nobody took his words seriously.

But Death glanced at Minjae as if they exchanged information mentally. 

"He really feels like death." Eunbin muttered watching this person go in the staff room. 

Fei came down a few minutes later with the man that attacked her. He stared at Eunbin quite intensely when he walked past her, which made Minjae move very slowly towards her. 

"Thank you for your help. But would it be possible to ask for a favor? I need someone to stay here and keep an eye on the business while I have to check on a few things." Fei started smiling kindly at Eunbin. "I'll pay you for your time, of course." 

"Sure. I'm unemployed anyway." The human girl admitted without a second thought. 

"Do you want me to come with you?" Minjae asked unconsciouly grabbing Fei's elbow. 

"No. We both know what you have to do." She said looking into his eyes with a knowing glint. He was supposed to follow Orpheus and see what exactly he wanted to do and who he was going to meet. "Hikaru left when we went upstairs, didn't he?" She added making Minjae realize what exactly she was thinking about. 

"I'll go." 

Fei patted his hand on her elbow and left to go to the afterlife, for a new interesting discussion with Death. Meanwhile, Dohyun remained with Eunbin who seemed to be deeply concerned about something. 

"Are those two dating?" 

Dohyun almost fell of his chair when he heard that question. 

"No. They're just very close." 

"Maybe but it still seems like there is not just friendship between them." Eunbin added with a hum. 

Dohyun glanced at her over his laptop with serious eyes. He was not about to laugh it off with sarcasm or a joke. 

"I assure you, Fei is already dating someone else." 

Eunbin raised an eyebrow and leaned on her hand. This place was a lot more entertaining than it looked.