Illusion

Thief of Words

Onew- Illusion

When Fei returned, she found that Minjae and Dohyun were quite far from each other. Both of them were upstairs but while Dohyun was silently working, Minjae was giving the rest of the clients a peaceful atmosphere by playing the piano. Ethos was a magical place and was actually bigger than it looked at a first glance. They had a white piano in one of the emptier sides of the library but it resonated throughout the whole building. Besides, Minjae was a supernatural being and whenever he played, even the afterlofe and the warehouse could hear. Of course, the piano was designed to entertain mythology creatures rather than petty humans. The piece that Minjae was playing was Chopin's Waltz in A minor. It was both calming and playful, naive and serious, which was pretty much Minjae's personality. 

Fei didn't disturb him, especially with Hikaru coming in. He seemed to have lost the colour in his cheeks and life was slipping through his veins. However, he still looked into Fei's eyes and smiled as if nothing happened. There were a thousand thoughts running through her mind and yet her mask was strong. 

"Where have you been?" She asked in a tone that wouldn't arise any suspicion. 

"I was busy, sorry. I know you probably had to stand in." He said walking past her and checking the computer for new orders. 

"Busy doing what?" 

"Being the hero to my own story." He said, partially joking. "I'll take care of the rest, you don't have to worry." 

But Fei did worry. Whatever he was doing was not only endangering his life but the whole world. 

Since she didn't want to fight with him, she grabbed a few books that needed to be put back on the shelves and went upstairs. Minjae seemed to be in a Chopin trance because he was going from one piece to another but that was to be expected since it was his favourite composer. 

When he begun to play another waltz, Fei couldn't help but let herself think about her past. She used to be so lively, so keen to please the gods, one in particular. 

She was a mere nymph but she enjoyed learning such skills as archery. It was the one thing that she liked about the s that pled their loyalty and life to Artemis. They were hunters like none others and they smaller and more elegant than the Amazons. Fei used to spend her time on branches, watching them whenever they came to Crete. 

"Why don't you go play with the others?" One of them asked seeing how they could all feel her stares on the back of their heads. 

"Because they are boring." Fei answered from her place. "How can you shoot so far? And how can you live in a society of women?" 

The huntress laughed and made a sign for the nymph to come down. 

"Are you going to kill me for being nosy?" Fei asked although she did not look like she was about to let herself die easily. 

"Is that what you think we do? We do not fight for sport." 

"Good to know." Fei said following the huntress. "What's this?" She asked when she received the bow and one sibgle arrow. 

"I'll give you this bow if you can shoot straight in the middle of that tree trunk."

"Is this a lesson?" 

"Only if you succeed." 

Fei smiled and her whole expression became one of someone with a purpose. It didn't work from the first try but that didn't mean she didn't persist. Fei was a persistent creature. It was almost midnight when she got that arrow tight in the tree. That was the first time she felt like she achieved something. 

Fei trained with the huntress for a short time but it was enough to make her want more. That was how a nymph prayed to the gods and how Fei met Ares. 

She didn't even have to go to Olympus because the god of war came down to earth for a woman. Fei literally stalked him until he came out of his lover's house. 

"And who might you be?" He asked leisurely elthough it was very early in the morning. 

"A nymph." She answered being a little starstruck if she were to be honest. Besides, Ares was taller than most men. 

"I know that. I meant what business you have with me." He was in good spirits for someone who was meant to be angry all the time. 

"I want to fight for you." 

Ares stared at her with a poker face before he laughed loudly. 

"Do I seem like I need a nymph in my army? I am here creating generals from my own blood with strength you can never have." 

"You don't have to train me, I just want a nudge. I want to do something not sing lullabies and dance in the forest. I want to live for real." 

Ares scoffed at how confident and yet afraid she was and figured she was harmless. 

"Fine. Go then and fight in my name. Let's see how long you'll last."

To his surprise, she did survive. Because she was not phisically strong, she used her wit and strategy. And in the end, she was called on Olympus.

"You won me good men and good treasures, Fei."

"I do keep my promises."

"And so do I. I will grant you the wish that you so fervently desire." He said in a charming way before he covered her forehead with his hand. A bright yellow glow filled her vision and then came incredible pain. Fei yelled but did not move a step. Once he let her go she didn't necessarily feel different. 

"You are not a mere nymph anymore. You are now my eyes in the wars between men. You better no disappoint me, Fei. I gifted you with powers beyond your expectations." 

She nodded and bowed at the god that gave her an opportunity to be more. The battles she fought in were gruesome and many men died under her eyes. But she never strayed from the path she had chosen. She received immortality and even the Lance of Ares which she used to kill thousands of spartans. From war to war, she confidently built her name among army leaders and shebfought even harder in order to show how grateful she was. 

And then it all went to hell, because she fell in love. How ironic.

"What are you thinking about?" 

Fei heard him move but she didn't expect him to come behind her. She turned around in order to look Dohyun in the eye and noticed he was very close. He must have watched some dramas or did some research because he blocked her with one hand and leaned in. He must have believed she was going to back off but she didn't. On contrary, she leaned up so their nose touched. 

"My past. Why? Is this one of your ways to seduce me?" 

"Is it working?" He asked looking far more flushed than she was.

"No. It looks like I am better at this than you are." She muttered looking into his eyes with a smirk. "Is my method working?"

"Yes." He said as if he was in a trance. He wanted to kiss her and he was about to when they heard someone make a ruckus downstairs.

The music stopped and Minjae rushed downstairs while Fei watched from the railing. 

"Where is she?! I know she is here somewhere!!" Was yelled by a guy who seemed to look like a bussiness man. He was dressed to impress although not too flashy. He was elegant if not for his hair which seemed to be super curly and go all directions. "You! You tell me everything! I've been waiting long enough!" He said pointing at Fei when he noticed her. 

Fei didn't rush to this noisy man, she didn't seem to care enough or maybe it was that she had done this before. It did seem like they knew each other but Dohyun wasn't sure. As soon as she reached him, the man grabbed her by her shirt forcefully. She signed for Dohyun to not interfere seeing how he wanted to do so urgently. 

"It's rude to come into my library, a place where humans come and read, and make such a spectacle." She said underlining how they were not the only people in the room. 

"Where is she?"

"Who exactly?" She asked not really looking like she was too bothered.

"My wife. I can feel her soul. She's here, amongst us." He said glaring at the nymph. "You must tell me or I will force the answer out of you." 

Fei only listened, figuring that Hikaru did something with the registry already. 

"Excuse me but that is no way you behave with a woman." Came a feminine yet harsh voice from behind the man. 

"This isn't your business, leave us." The man said not even glancing at the interruption. 

It was just like a well choreographed scene from many points, but it was real. Fei watched in amazement as the woman kicked the man so hard that he actually fell against the coffee machine. Her saviour was dressed in jeans and an oversized hoodie, her hair was cascading down her shoulders and she had big black sunglasses covering her eyes. She took the glasses off and Fei realized why Minjae was so in love. 

"You really are an angel, aren't you?" Fei whispered completely mesmerized by none other than Park Eunbin, also known as Minjae's crush. 

"Are you alright? I didn't want to kick him that hard." She added sounding apologetic. Fei nodded absentmindedly. "Ah, I promised a friend that I will come and pick up something for her and-" she stopped when she saw Minjae. "Oh, hello! I know you!" 

Minjae's eyes widened and he blocked. He swallowed and whatever came out his mouth was inchoerent. Dohyun rolled his eyes at the two supernatural beings and turned to the rest of the customers. 

"Sorry for the disturbance! You can return to whatever you were doing, everything is alright now!" He announced with a goofy smile. 

"Are you sure you are alright?" Eunbin asked Fei who nodded again. She turned to the man that was now groaning on the ground and sighed. 

"What the hell, Orpheus." She mumbled feeling very disappointed in how certain former greek characters were barging into her perfectly normal life.