Enough

Thief of Words

Hoppipolla- Enough

After finding out that she has been betrayed by Hikaru, Fei knew that whatever grimace she showed will be taken into notice immediately by everyone. She had to hide her worries and live as if nothing happened. But without the registry and with her laptop thrown against the wall, she couldn't do her job. She stood there, in front of the window that gave to the street and pondered on her options. 

Dohyun thought several times if he should come to Ethos or not and in the end his heart won the battle. He saw her when he passed the window, which was as tall and wide as the wall. People could easily see into the library if the curtains weren't drawn. He almost didn't notice Fei staring out the window but when he waved at her, she didn't react. When he entered, he went straight to her. He left his laptop and backpack on one of the sofas as if he had just arrived home and sat next to her on the ground. He stared at her for a bit, noticing how the sun light made her whole face glow, like she was a flower. Her side profile was very satisfying to watch because in his eyes, she was perfectly proportioned from her eyebrows to her nose and to her lips. It was aesthetically pleasing to look at her. 

"What are you doing?" She asked suddenly turning her head. 

He was leaning in without thinking but just because she finally saw him did not matter. He continued to lean in until she could smell his minty breath. 

"You agreed to date me, remember?" He mumbled seeing how they were so close. 

"I do. So?" She asked having been more bothered by other stuff. She had to clean up all night and it wasn't just about the books lying around. 

Dohyun cut her thoughts short by giving her a peck on the lips. Fei blinked, not yet registering the action. So Dohyun took advantage and kissed her again and again. She smiled and stopped him when she realized what he was doing. But the human grabbed her cheeks and chuckled at how adorable and innocent she looked. 

"I am allowed to do that. I am your boyfriend now." He stated and kissed her. 

"Wait-" 

Dohyun lost his balance and Fei fell back with him over her. They were both laughing until they noticed two skinny legs near their heads. 

"What are you doing? We have clients." Minjae stated with a raised eyebrow. 

Dohyun and Fei got up quickly with guilty smiles. Minjae rolled his eyes but let it slide.

"What about you? How was your date?" Fei changed the subject. 

"It wasn't a date. But I can proudly say she knows my name now. She even promised to visit the library soon." 

"Did she give you her number?" Dohyun asked.

Minjae bit his lips before he broke into a wide smile. Dohyun was surprised to finally see the overprotective raven look so happy. 

"She did." He said before covering his face with his hands. 

"Is this the first time you ask a girl out?" Dohyun asked realising Minjae must have had his own experience after being able to live like a human. 

"No." He said.

"Yes. Yes it is." Fei corrected. "He is a handsome man and very perceptive so women always fawned over him but it was never the woman he liked." 

"They were all old ladies who wanted me to meet their daughters. And that happened back when Korea was still called Joseon." Minjae explained so that Dohyun wouldn't misunderstand. "What about you two?" 

"We're dating!" Dohyun proudly announced making a few girls that were reading behind them chuckle. 

"When did this magic happen?" He asked looking at Fei who decided to keep silent. 

"Yesterday!" Dohyun interfered again with a huge stupid smile. 

"...wonderful." 

"Ah right, you two will have to spend the day together. I have to meet Death for a bit. I had to make an appointment." She said rolling her eyes at the last part. 

"Why?" Minjae asked getting up at the same time with her. "Wait, you are letting me alone in the library? Hikaru didn't show up either." 

Fei nodded before she pointed at Dohyun. 

"You can manage by yourself. People come here to read, mostly. Dohyun is here if you need extra help." 

Minjae pouted and looked at her like a lost puppy, not liking the sound of her idea. 

"Bond. Maybe you'll get to be in his webtoon too. Another thing to brag to Eunbin." Fei said patting his head before she left. 

 

It was not out of the ordinary to have Fei come and see Death but it was somewhat rare. Especially because he liked to go out and stretch after being stuck inside making sure that all reapers do their jobs right and every soul ends up in its rightful place. There were hundreds of complaints from souls in hell per day so he had to deal with that too. He has to constantly prove that the decision was good although it wasn't even him that decides who goes to heaven and who doesn't. 

"What is it, Fei?" He asked not even looking up when she entered. The nymph walked silently and sat across him in a very classy and well mannered way. "Really, what is it? I am very busy as you can see." He asked again seeing how she wasn't acting as herself.

"There...was an incident." 

That was enough for him to stop his work and look at her with a raised eyebrow. She seemed rather calm so he hoped it was nothing big.

"Well? What incident?" 

"There is something that was stolen from the library." She started already feeling awkward for having to inform him of her failure. "My copy of the Soul Registry." 

"What?!" His voice echoed in the whole office, and it was a wide place so it resonated quite well. 

"I can get it back by myself but I need you to take over my duties for a while. I know who stole it so I can manage it but I don't need Hwanung to nag me again." She said being very serious. 

"Who stole it?" He asked getting up already feeling his workload double. 

"Icarus. I believe he wants to free his father from the Labyrinth with the help of a god. I don't know exactly which one but I took a guess and it is probably Ares."  

Death had a more understanding reaction than Horace which meant something else must have happened in the afterlife. 

"It doesn't seem to come as big news to you..." she noticed. 

"Are you sure it is a god he wants to bring back?" 

"What?" Fei asked shocked. "Who else? What else?" 

"Hades doesn't really inform the rest of the afterlife of what happens in his ancient side of hell but there have been other incidents. Tremours, more exactly. These tremours created cracks from the underworld and onto Earth." 

"So that is how those furies escaped." 

Death nodded having been informed of that, although not officially, by Hades. 

"I don't know what else or how many others took advantage of the cracks and Hades is very secretive but the tremours come for sure from the depths of the underworld." The dark and brooding Death explained before he rubbed his forehead. He couldn't believe how many disturbances were happebing at once. 

Fei's eyes widened at what Death implied. 

"Tartarus." She whispered getting a shiver at merely mentioning the ancient prison. "You think Icarus is trying to sacrifice souls so that he can bring back a titan? But that is a bit much for a creature that couldn't even follow instructions correctly." 

Death sighed and pushed his Ipad aside before he got up. He made a sign for her to follow him, which she did without a question. Death led the way to the main hallway which seemed a bit empty at the moment. He stopped in front of the door towards hell and opened it enough to catch a glimpse. 

The sounds that were coming from down there were horrible. Their voices were mingling with the ones of demons and it was a dysfunctional choir that was particularly good at laments. It was scary and heart-breaking at the same time. 

"They are usually quiet." She muttered as soon as he closed back the door.

"No. They are never quiet, you just don't hear them because  we block the sound. Someone is trying to break the spiritual barrier and if they succeed, demons will be the last worry. If Tartarus breaks, everyone dies. Everyone." Death said his face growing pale at his own words. 

"We don't know that yet." Fei added following Death back into his office. "Maybe one of us should go and check."

Both of them stopped and stared at each other, none having the desire of descending into the depths of the underworld.

"Anyway, until then it is in both our interests to have this kept between the two of us." Fei added looking into his eyes with a knowing glint.

"Just make sure to take the registry back and keep a very, very close eye on Icarus." He said taking back his place in the stiff black leathered chair. 

Fei had her hand on the doorknob when Death found it important to add something.

"If we are right, lord Hwanung should be the last person to worry about. So don't." 

Fei smiled as she walked out. That was a wicked way of telling her to ignore Hwanung and his stupid rules, not that she ever cared about them. But it was coming from the same person who slapped her for going against his orders so it was quite heavy. It never ceased to amaze Fei how in times of panic, status suddenly means nothing.