Face

Thief of Words

Lim Jae Bum- Face

The mythology lessons did not end, like Minjae hoped. Moreover, Dohyun seemed to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere at Ethos and he started to do his work too. Right there, in front of Fei. One had to be blind to not notice how blunt she was in watching the human boy.

"I'm curious, what do you really see when you look at him? Death?" Minjae asked leaning against the table behind the counter. They still had a lot of books piled up and some of them had to be put on shelves.

"Nope." She answered curtly before finalizing an order. "Want me to tell you something even better? The girl you're stalking just placed an order for-"

She didn't even finish her sentence when Minjae shoved her aside and read the information carefully. His eyes widened and he started to freak out even if he had absolutely no reason to do it.

"I can't go. What if she remembers me?"

"Have you ever shown your face?"

Minjae nodded and looked rather embarrassed. He could still remember how bad their first and only meeting went.

Shifting from a raven to a man could, from time to time, happen unconsciously. It was during a nice summer day that he looked at the world below and saw her. The raven almost lost altitude because she was just gleaming with pure heavenly light.

Of course, he decided to follow her, just to enjoy her beauty. Her hair was cascading down her back and she seemed to have taken care in her outfit because she looked very professional and pretty.

She walked inside a building and spent half of the day inside. Minjae completely ignored whatever he had to do that day and focused on this woman. If Fei needed something he was sure she could ask Hikaru or do it herself.

He actually wandered around the neighbourhood for a while until he saw her come out with a disappointed expression. She went and sat on a bench and he decided to get closer. He sat on a tree in front of her and listened to her murmurs.

"Those s, I can't believe them. Dammit!"

Minjae was fascinated. All the bad words that came out of were blocked out as he could only bath in her presence. He was so caught up that he didn't expect to suddenly turn human. His desire to meet her took over him and it forced him to change his form.

Poor girl was shocked to see an adult man fall off the tree. Minjae blushed and quickly wiped off the leaves and dirt on his clothes. He looked up and their eyes met. He was ready to say something when it started to rain. He sighed and watched as his beautiful angel ran away.

Minjae sighed only at the memory while Fei shook her head.

"She barely saw you. She doesn't even know your name."

"But she did see me. I'm sure she remembers me."

"That was months ago. Maybe it was a God given meeting for you but it meant nothing to her. And you say I have false hope, ha."

"You do."

"Well, at least he knows my name unlike your 'angel'" she said making sure she pointed out the quoting signs.

"I...am planning to introduce myself properly. I don't want to be the guy with the books."

"What's bad about that?"

Both jolted in surprise at the new voice. Dohyun was leaning over the counter with a smile. His eyes were twinkling and Minjae could swear this human was a real fox.

"You are not a delivery man, you are a co-manager. You take from your busy time to deliver orders because you care for your clients. Doesn't that sound like a nice introduction?" Dohyun added with an eyebrow raised. He knew he was right and he knew the idea appealed to Minjae.

Fei chuckled as she saw Minjae fully process that theory. In the end he looked up her list of books, seven in number, and went in their search through the library. He also had to put them in a pretty box and maybe add some candies. That was a plan he had to think more about.

"Congratulations, you won him over." Fei said once Minjae walked away.

Dohyun laughed and moved his whole attention on her.

"Do you want to see how is it going?" He asked boyishly.

"What is it that is going anyway?"

"My webtoon. I've been working on it for a while now, I have half of it done."

"Sure. Show me."

She followed him to his laptop and sat down. He stood behind her and coincidentally they both placed their hands on the mouse. His hand was perfectly covering her small hand and there was no way she could shove it away this time. He leaned over her shoulder in order to search for the file and open it and she could hear him breathe next to her ear.

"So, I decided to change the main character. It is now a woman who can manipulate and even kill people only with words. But because she made a mistake in the past, she cannot use that power for her own reasons so she decides to help people instead."

"Doesn't sound familiar." She mumbled trying to focus on the laptop.

"It's you. I twisted some of your story and made it more of a Korean romance. But I also have some good battle scenes with swords and even words that come out of books. It's a bit like Inkheart but she can't truly get characters out and into books. She can however stop people from saying certain words, as if they suddenly forgot it. Or they can choke on their own words and die. Well, I still have to work on that..."

Fei was surprised by how many Greek characters he had, from Zeus himself to a centaur who looked a lot like Pirape.

"And what's her name?" Fei asked.

"Well...I was wondering if it's ok to use yours?" Dohyun asked finally leaning back and sitting next to her.

"What?" She asked genuinely not hearing him well.

"I mean, she is based on you so..." he added looking at his webtoon before moving to her.

Taking a better look at the drawings, Fei frowned. She couldn't quite see it because he was making her remember feelings that she wanted gone but now that he was further away, she was shocked.

"Where did you see this person?" She asked pointing at her drawing. "Have you seen it in a book in the warehouse?" She asked looking terribly alarmed.

"No. It just came to me. Why? Does it look weird?"

Was that what he was worried about? Fei couldn't believe what she was looking at.

Hearing a commotion, Hikaru walked to them and gasped at the face on the screen. He glanced at Fei with a worried look before he glanced at the confused human.

"It doesn't look weird. It's actually very realistic." She replied. "Sorry, I have to go back to work now."

Hikaru took her seat and checked out more of the webtoon. He would have laughed if it wasn't such a shock.

"You are full of surprises, Dohyun ssi."

"What do you mean?"

"The face in your webtoon is Fei's original aspect. She looked just like your character until she was killed and had to regenerate."

Dohyun's eyes widened, not quite believing it himself.

"But...how can that be possible?"

"I know, right? Are you sure you haven't seen her face somewhere in the warehouse? There are no documents that contain Fei's existence in the world. All are safely deposited downstairs." Hikaru commented still browsing through the webtoon. "It's pretty accurate, even her eyes."

"But why did she have to regenerate?" Dohyun asked seeing how Hikaru was inclined to tell him stuff.

"Her former lover killed her." Hikaru said as he glanced at Fei. "Well, he didn't do it with his own hands. It's actually a lot more complicated but don't ask her. It's a subject she doesn't speak of easily."

"Why was she killed?"

"Because the king was manipulated to believe she was a spy in the palace, or a witch or whatever they called her. The truth was that, she was nothing but a fool." Hikaru added feeling sad for his boss. "She was lucky though. Her body was thrown into the woods and nature helped her back to consciousness. But it wasn't easy. It took her a few years to recreate a body."

Dohyun nodded along until he remembered the arrow. He turned and looked at it but Hikaru turned his head quickly, careful not to be seen by Fei.

"Yes, that's the murder weapon. It went straight through her heart. If you stare too long at it she will know I told you about it. Let's keep this little chat between us, I still value my life outside the underworld." Hikaru said with a sincere smile.

But Dohyun was left with a lot to think about. After all, how did he truly come up with the image of his character? He honestly couldn't remember.