Backgrounds

Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our alarms reminded us of the early day we have to have for our flight. It was 4AM and the sun had not welcomed us yet. I reached for my phone to turn mine off. However, Jessica seemed to have a different plan as she did not seem to want to wake up at all, no matter how loud her alarm was.

"Earth to Jessica," I whispered as I shook her lightly in order to wake her up.

Jessica's eyes slowly opened itself as she let out a slight groan. Realizing that her alarm had been ringing, she immediately shut it off and turned back around to face me. Instead of waking up, she decided to fall asleep again.

"We're going to be late if you don't wake up now," I told her.

"Give me ten more minutes. I just snoozed my alarm," she told me with closed eyes.

"Fine," I sighed, "I'll start in the meantime."

Jessica groaned and rubbed her eyes.

"We had a long night. Are you not tired?" she asked.

"I am, but we still have to catch our flight," I reminded her.

"I could always get us later tickets," she pouted.

"That won't do," I shook my head, "that's another expense we don't need."

I did not care how rich Jessica thought she was. Saving as much money as you could is still important.

"Alright, alright," she nodded, "I will get up in one condition."

"And what is that?" I asked.

"Let's do what we did last night again."

Even with the lights off, I can still see the lining of her lips turning into a smile.

"I'm tired after last night. I need to recuperate," I sighed, "you're lucky enough to do it with me last night. Maybe those oysters did its purpose and maybe you did that on purpose too."

"I just wanted oysters. What are you talking about?" she denied my allegations, "eitherway, if it did work, then I don't regret it."

Last night was definitely quite an experience. I felt as if a lot of tension I had within myself had been released. It was a good feeling, especially with how delicate Jessica was with me. I wonder if this is the reason why some people like having .

 

Jessica's family decided to have one last meal with us instead of Krystal being the only one seeing us off. Even with their busy schedule, her family still set aside time just for their daughter. It showed just how much they care about Jessica and how family is important to them.

"So what's your next plan when you get back to Korea?" Mr. Jung asked Jessica, "seems like you found another purpose of staying there longer."

I looked at Mr. Jung as soon as he told Jessica those words, in the middle of me taking a bite of my pancake. I knew he was talking about me as soon as he stared at me with a smirk on his face.

"I still have lots of places I have not seen yet," Jessica answered, "due to Taeyeon being busy with college and work, we have not seen too much of Korea yet."

"Am I your tour guide or something?" I snarked.

"I decided that you are," Jessica turned to me with a smile, "plus, you're my girlfriend. Since they know about it now, there's no point of hiding it. Why would I leave out my girlfriend from my adventures?"

"I leave her to your care," Mr. Jung slightly bowed at me, "all that I ask of you is to make sure she's taking care of herself."

"Uh..." I placed my fork down, "... yes sir."

"Like I have said, I am planning on expanding my business in Korea so I will be able to visit the both of you once I'm there. It won't be anytime soon but it will definitely be coming up in the future. I just need to polish more of what I have here now before making that huge step for my company," Mr. Jung told us.

"Understood," I told him with a smile.

"What about you, unnie? How's your photography coming along?" Krystal asked her sister.

"I've managed to capture a few things here and there during my off time," Jessica told her younger sister, "the files are in my laptop but once I'm back in Korea, I'll make sure to show you a few of them."

Jessica did mention something about photography before and how passionate she was about it. I wonder if that was her profession here in the US before she fled to Korea.

"Taeyeon unnie," Krystal tried to catch my attention, "you already know that my sister is a professional photographer?"

"No," I shook my head.

"I... actually did not reveal to her what my life was here in the US until we were officially together," Jessica told Krystal.

"Really?" Krystal seemed surprised, "so I'm guessing this thing between you two did not happen until not too long ago?"

"Yeah... things are still pretty recent for us although we've known each other for quite some time now," Jessica explained.

"Seems like a weird thing to happen, coming from you who likes to move fast," Krystal scoffed.

"Excuse me, we are in front of dad and mom," Jessica glared at her sister.

"It's not like we don't already know that," Mrs. Jung spoke up, "word goes around, you know."

I wonder just how seemingly warm and open her family was. If my parents knew just how fast I move from person to person, I would definitely be reprimanded.

"I guess you're my daughter after all," Mr. Jung laughed.

"Let's not start with you," Mrs. Jung glared at him.

"Okay, okay," Mr. Jung nodded his head apologetically to his wife and turned his attention to me, "if it took Jessica a while to be with you, then that just means you're definitely worthwhile to my daughter. Not to brag but, I was a ladies man before I met my wife. It took a while to woo her but I knew she was worth it."

"Ew, dad," Jessica made a disgusted look.

"But am I wrong?" Mr. Jung asked his daughter.

"No," Jessica shook her head and stared at me with a smile, "Taeyeon is definitely worth it."

I felt my heart skip a beat all of a sudden. My face suddenly getting warmer.

"You're making her blush, unnie. I'm sure she's pretty embarrassed," Krystal warned Jessica.

"But at least she knows that," Jessica chuckled, "I didn't mind waiting, knowing that she was definitely worth it."

 

Jessica's family dropped us off at the airport. They all hugged her one by one before hugging me as well. This whole trip definitely gave me a realization of Jessica's background a little bit and where she was coming from. Seeing how her family is, this definitely gave me an insight as to why Jessica is the way she is. No matter what, I am definitely thankful for her parents because they raised a really good person.

"Alright, don't be late for your flight now," Mrs. Jung told her daughter after hugging her.

"Thank you for seeing us off," Jessica bowed in front of her parents.

This made me bow as well.

"I'll make sure to visit soon," Krystal waved her hand.

"Don't forget what we talked about, Taeyeon," Mr. Jung told me, "my offer still stands."

"I will keep that in mind, Mr. Jung," I replied with a smile.

Jessica and I looked at each other and gave a nod, as if we were thinking about the same thing in mind. We started to walk towards the gate area, a division between the outside world and the inside of the airport. Our short trip to San Francisco officially ended as soon as we went past the security area.

"That went better than I expected it to go," I mentioned, "I would have thought your parents would be awkward knowing that we're together."

"Well... that was somewhat something that I did not expect to happen during this trip. I didn't expect to have them find out about us. Knowing them though, they already know certain things about what I do and how I go about life, even in relationships with others," Jessica revealed.

"I saw that," I nodded, "it seems refreshing to know and have an open relationship with your parents. I don't think I could do whatever you do to your parents."

"Really? Then how are your parents like and how are your relationship with them?"

"My parents are perfectly fine. They're pretty strict but they loosened up as soon as I started to venture out on my own and do college. Before though, it's not as if they didn't allow me to have a boyfriend but they also emphasized the importance of education before relationships. This is why I made sure to focus on my studies instead of focusing on my feelings towards others," I explained, "I guess it shaped my adulthood and how distant I seem to others. I barely made friends in order to make sure I am focused on my studies. Even if I focused on my studies, it was not as if I was at the top of my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter