Who Is My Girlfriend?

Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was just another morning to most but for me it was different. I took Zero outside as usual to start my day but what had changed was that I am Kim Taeyeon, the mother of Zero and the girlfriend of my sleezy neighbor, Jessica Jung. I looked beside the woman next to me, who was sipping on her warm coffee. She gave me a warm smile in return.

"Something the matter?" she asked.

I stared at her for a while. I was still trying to take in the fact that I am actually in a relationship, especially to a woman like her.

"Nothing," I shook my head.

"Go sip on your coffee before it gets cold," she suggested.

"Got it," I nodded and sipped on the warm cup of coffee upon my hands.

"Hm... now that we're in a relationship, should we have some names for each other?" she suggested.

"Don't think up of funny thoughts now, Jessica," I glared at her.

"Baby, babe... seems too cliche..." she thought.

"I think we should slow down on the names," I told her, "we don't need to rush. It'll come if anything. Even so, what's the need for names anyway?"

"I don't know," she pursed her lips, "I think it adds some foundation in our relationship."

Baby definitely is overused and so is babe. But it'll be cheesier if we used different names like pudding and jelly. I didn't really find any point on using names on each other. We were born with names given to us by our parents and I don't mind being called with this name, even if it's someone I'm in a relationship with. However, I can understand the fun in calling each other different names. But what would suit Jessica?

Jessica's phone rang all of a sudden, breaking my trance. She looked to see who it was calling her and put her phone back in her pocket.

"Aren't you going to pick up?" I asked.

"It's nobody," she shook her head with a smile, "just a spam caller."

"I see."

Zero came towards me and danced around, signaling that he was done with his potty break. I took an immediate gulp of my coffee to finish it before heading back inside. Jessica did the same thing and took the empty cup from my hands so I can handle Zero.

Upon going up the stairs to our apartment, Jessica stopped by her door.

"I thought you were going to go in?" I asked her, pointing towards my door.

"I'm just going to put away the cups first and take care of something real quick. I'll be there shortly after," Jessica answered.

"Alright," I muttered and went inside my apartment with Zero.

Upon going inside, I took Zero's harness off of him. I could hear some chatter going on next door coming from Jessica's room. Does she usually speak to someone over the phone that loud?

After a few minutes, there was a knock in my door and I already knew who it was, hearing as that the chatter subsided from her room already. After wiping Zero's feet, I opened the door for my guest.

"Sorry I took a bit," she apologized.

"You're fine," I shook my head and stepped aside, "come in."

After letting Jessica into my apartment, I walked over to the bathroom to wash my hands real quick before attending to her.

"What was the phone call about now?" I asked her nonchalantly while walking towards the living room.

"Phone call?"

"Oh," I forgot, she didn't know I could hear her from the other side of the wall, "you were talking so loud that I could hear you."

"Did you hear anything?"

"Not clearly," I told her. I guess the phone call must be really private.

Now that I'm mentioning it, I do recall her having tons of phone calls every day. I wonder what it was about, especially since I didn't really know a lot of her background. Was it her family calling her? Why would they call her at least everyday? Why does she sound frustrated everytime?

"Do you mind if I ask what it was about?"

"Um..." she bit her lip, "... I guess I should let you in into my life. That would be the most logical thing now that we're at least together," she chuckled.

"Before you go on, would you like some drink?" I asked. I knew it was going to be a long story.

"I'm good," she smiled, "I've had enough coffee this morning. Maybe later."

"Okay," I nodded and scurried my way to the couch.

"Anyway... so... my parents had been calling me nonstop."

Of course, I knew it.

"Is there any reason why? They must be so worried for you."

"That... but there's more to it that I cannot disclose to you right now... so I apologize."

"Really private matter?"

Jessica nodded.

"I will tell you eventually, I promise. Just not right now. I'm trying to talk them out of it and I'm trying to tackle this."

"Okay," I nodded, "I trust that you'd tell me all about it eventually but no pressure at all. I was just curious. I've noticed for a while now how often you seem bothered with the phone calls you've been getting."

"Am I really that loud?" she chuckled sheepishly.

"Very. Americans are very loud people are they?"

"Well... not all of us are. I'll pay attention to my tone of voice from now on," she smiled apologetically.

"No worries, so tell me more about yourself," I figured to ask since we're already on the topic of getting to know her.

"Hm... you already know I'm from America... you already know how passionate I am in photography. What else should I tell you other than the fact that apparently I am a loud talker over the phone and that I have very annoying parents," she babbled.

"Why don't you tell me about your likes and dislikes?"

Suddenly, it hit me how awkward things are. Usually, people in a relationship already knows what the other person likes and dislikes, even if it's not all of it. At least, they should have a general idea of what the other person is like. However, all I know about Jessica is how much of a sleezy person she is with a really caring side and a bratty side at that... when she's sick.

"You already know I like coffee, seeing as how I always drink coffee in the morning and how I always give some to you as well," she pondered, "I also like wine and reading books, lots of books."

"I think I already know that," I chuckled, "your morning routine used to be coffee and books. Afternoons would be wine and books."

"Seems like someone has been paying attention to me for a while now," she eyed on me.

"It's nothing like that," I sighed.

"But what else can I tell about myself? I like mint chocolate ice cream if that matters."

My eyes grew wide upon her mentioning her favorite ice cream flavor.

"Same!"

"Oh would you look at that, we found something we both like," she chuckled, "hm... as for dislikes... I hate anything related to cucumbers."

"What?" I laughed, "that is such a weird thing to dislike."

"I can't help it okay," she sighed, "I don't know why it disgusts me. Anything in the cucumber family are something that I would avoid."

"Reminder not to cook you anything with cucumbers and whatnot then," I giggled.

"Well, what about you? What's your likes and dislikes?"

"Hm..." I pondered, "I like gummy bears."

"I would have never thought of you as a person who would like gummy bears," she laughed.

"They're good, okay," I sighed, "now I don't feel like opening up."

"Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry," she held my forearm, "go on. I promise not to make fun of you."

I glared at Jessica for a good minute before proceeding, "I like listening to music for anything that I do and also like playing my video games."

"Is this why you're always inside your apartment on your off days?"

"Yup," I nodded, "going out is expensive and I don't like crowds."

"I see," she smiled, "I hate big crowds but a few are fine."

"I mean, you're an extrovert so I wouldn't be surprised."

"And you're very much a homebody. But opposites attract as said by Robert Winch!"

"Robert Winch?" I gave her a crazy look. I have no idea who she was talking about.

"You know the saying 'opposites attract'? That statement actually came from him when he studied couples. He stated that relationships worked because it was complimentary and not because they have a lot of similarities," she stated.

Maybe I thought too much about relationships. I would have thought that relationships worked because both people in the relationship are very similar in a sense. However, Jessica and I are very much the opposite. Now it makes me think about how my dad and mom are and how their relationship worked well. They definitely complimented each other.

"Maybe that's why I'm intrigued by you from the get-go, other than the fact that you're very cute."

"Stop calling me cute," I shuddered.

"Do you hate being called cute?" she chuckled.

"I'm not cute," I glared at her.

"I'm sorry but no matter what you do, you're cute," she continued to chuckle, "but I like that about you. Your physical appearance is cute but your personality says otherwise."

"Yah, what do you mean by that?!"

"You're cute but you're reserved. Cute people are usually bubbly, as I would like to think they are. But you keep to yourself, which makes you very intriguing in a sense."

"That sounds awfully weird now that you say it like that."

"It's okay," her hand glided down to my hands, "I like it that way becaus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter