Distance and Decisions

Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the new scheduling arrangement, I now have to perform solo every Tuesday. Yuri and Yoona either have a dance break Wednesday together or switch with each other. They usually do freestyle or they prep together throughout the week. Thursdays are left blank so far. Fridays are for Fierce Fridays with Tiffany. DJ Saturdays for Hyoyeon when she brings her DJ set with her. Sundays... is now Taengsic Sundays with Seohyun... I guess. Since I have a bit of a stage fright and since Tuesdays aren't really as busy compared to weekends, I guess it's nice that I am asked to perform on Tuesdays instead of any other days. The new schedule was immediately advertised in Flower Power's social media page and have been acknowledged by the patrons that follow us and those that are frequent visitors.

"Are you ready for your performance today?" Yuri messaged me. We had a few hours from work and more than enough time for me to prepare for my solo performance tonight.

"Yes... although this is quite last minute, I have a few songs up my sleeve that I could sing. I just need you to find some instrumentals for it," I replied to her.

"Send me your list and I'll make it work. If anything, we have DJ Hyoyeon to help us out," Yuri reminded me.

We also did have Seohyun who was good with the piano so I have different sources to have some kind of instrumental for certain songs I wanted to sing. Although I am a bit nervous performing solo, I do worry about how it would be at work. Jessica and I have some tension going on since that night.

"I'm performing at least five songs tonight, Zero," I told my silver poodle who was looking at me so preciously, "do you want to think of certain songs I could sing tonight?"

"Arf!" Zero barked back.

"Alright... let's see..." I mumbled as I opened my laptop to search for some songs I have in my head to perform tonight.

 

The night soon fell and the hour until I have to sing was coming close. There were people who came to hear my performance because of the social media promotion while there are those that came in just to have a good time. At least three tables were open and a few people were at the bar. Yuri and Yoona were busy bartending. Sooyoung and Sunny, as usual, were on the back. Seohyun and Tiffany were tending to the customers. Jessica was keeping herself busy by cleaning around, avoiding any contact with me. Hyoyeon, in the meantime, was helping me with my set mix, setting up the audio.

"Everything alright between you and Jessica?" Hyoyeon all of a sudden asked as she was setting up the tracklist on her laptop, "I could feel the tension between the two of you, you know?"

"It's... nothing," I denied while I was getting my hair done.

"Are you sure?" she asked out of curiosity, "animosity is never good in the workplace."

I understand that it isn't good to have animosity in the workplace. But I do not know what else to do when it comes to the matter between Jessica and I. I know she has been trying to pursue me for a while but I did not think much of it. I did not know that the time to make a decision about it would even come. I thought her flirting with me would just be an everyday thing and I just have to live with it. I never really thought of her feelings... which was probably something I should have done a long time ago. But I did not know that she was actively pursuing.

"It's fine... really..." I sighed.

"I'm guessing you finally told her that you don't feel the same," Hyoyeon blurted out, still focused on setting the tracklist.

"I really did not tell her anything... Is it that obvious to everyone that she's been flirting with me the whole time?"

"Yes!" Hyoyeon exclaimed, "are you that dumb to not notice?"

"No need to be harsh," I reminded her.

"I know it isn't your duty to care too much about another person's feelings but... the least you could do is tell them yes or no," Hyoyeon told me, eyeing me through the mirror.

"I just never thought of it to go this far..." I sighed.

"What did you expect from someone who's been flirting with you every single day?" Hyoyeon laughed, "you think it's all jokes and such? Clearly the woman has been trying to reach you, only to end up in a busy tone on the other line."

"This is a lot of pressure for me. I'm just not ready," I sighed again.

"There's another thing you could do as well before she increases her distance from you... since clearly she's doing it out of her own accord..."

"What is it?" I asked. I'm running out of options here clearly.

"You could tell her to actually, officially start pursuing you this time."

"Isn't that the same thing as dating?" I gave her a confused look.

"Technically it is... but it's not like you're saying you're officially in a relationship... more like in a courtship of some sort. At least this time there will be no confusion between the two of you," Hyoyeon explained, "she will know that she is dating you in the hopes you'll give her an answer and on the other hand, you know that you're actually giving her a chance but you have to give her an answer eventually."

To be totally honest, I don't think Hyoyeon's idea wasn't much of a bad plan. I mean, the only reason why I am in this conundrum is that I know I don't want to tell Jessica "no" but I am not comfortable telling her "yes" either. At least, I can accept that part. Jessica has been a part of my daily life now and it will just be weird without her in it.

"I'll tell her about it later," I told Hyoyeon.

"About time you do something about it," Hyoyeon teased.

 

I finally got done dressing up for the show. Hyoyeon already completed setting up the tracklist and was checking the audio to ensure that it was good to go. I immediately proceeded to the stage and looked amongst the crowd. The lights were focused on me while the whole bar was dimmed very lightly. Everyone else cheered as Hyoyeon introduced me through the microphone. Suddenly, I saw Jessica on the corner of the bar with a broom on her hand, staring at me. A few seconds later, she diverted her gaze and went back to cleaning.

"How's everyone doing today?" Hyoyeon asked the crowd to get the energy going.

The crowd cheered even more, clapping as Hyoyeon welcomed me to have the microphone. She went over to her little laptop set up and started playing the first song for the night. I decided to start up with a cheery song as an opener. As soon as I began singing, the crowd expressed awe and clapped along. As I encouraged them to sing some lines, they complied and sang the lines as I hovered the microphone towards their direction. I tried to distract myself from my thoughts at the moment since I have to put a bright smile to my face and cater to the customers.

After the cheery song, the next song that played was a little bit more lighthearted but still had a nice tone to it. The tempo was slower but it was still cheerful and had a cuter tone to it. The crowd still managed to clap along, having a good time with friends or alone as they listened to me sing. My stage fright soon slipped away as I got lost into singing. Maybe it was because singing was a part of my stress relief. Back then, I frequented the noraebang whenever I felt bored or stressed. Now that I think about it, ever since Jessica became my neighbor, I never really frequented the noraebang as much anymore.

Soon, the crowd hushed a little as the next song played. The slow music set the mood around the bar. This time, it was a ballad. I've always liked singing ballads as it gave me some kind of peace and tranquility. As soon as I started singing, the crowd slowly waved their hands up in the air along with the tempo of the music. The words I spilled out of my mouth filled with emotions. I got deep into my heart to help convey the song, my eyes closed the whole time. But as I opened them, my eyes immediately met with Jessica once again.

Those eyes, those same

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter