On the Other Side

Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon discovering the fact that the girl next door to me was a secret chaebol, it made me worry a bit about our newfound relationship. However, Jessica made sure everyday that nothing will stand in our way. As reassuring as it was to know that she will protect my heart just like how she had been trying to for a long time now, I thought it was foolish of her to leave her chaebol life behind just to do whatever she wants to do in life, especially with a person like me. I am nobody but an ordinary, foolish one that inhales the oxygen that others can use.

I suggested for Jessica to at least visit her family. Much to her resistance, she finally obliged under a certain condition.

"You must go with me," she told me with determination in her eyes.

I personally do not want to go to the United States with her, knowing I will have to meet her parents one way or another. Knowing Jessica, there is no way she can just leave me alone in the hotel while she meets her parents. She would want everyone to know about who I am, at least for a start. What am I going to tell them when I am there? They are just going to ask me endless questions about who I am and where my whereabouts are.

As much as I resisted, she had successfully persuaded me to go with her. I can probably blame her business background. A charm that she has just worked on me.

 

It was my first time flying out of the country, or flying in general on a plane. Jessica was holding a tight grip on my hands with a smile on her face, reassuring me that everything is going to be just fine. We were sitting by the lobby in the gate, waiting to board the plane.

"You know, it is such a short notice to tell Yuri and the others that we are taking some time off from work," I told her.

"But she was happy for us and that is what matters, don't it?" Jessica cheekily smiled.

"That doesn't mean it was right for us to give her a short notice. You do not always get what you want in life, you know that right?" I sighed. I wonder if she was used to getting things her way, given her chaebol background.

"I know," she slightly nodded, "but Yuri was more than happy that we are travelling together. What did she say again?"

"You're finally taking this hoodlum out of her cave, blah blah blah," I mocked Yuri's words.

Jessica giggled at my impression of Yuri.

"I think you should just enjoy the trip instead of worrying about work. You've always thought about others' thoughts of you. Just relax for once dear," she gave me that reassuring smile once again.

"What's not to worry about this trip when I know all too well that you're going to introduce me to your family," I scoffed and slapped my face mentally.

"They're going to meet you eitherway in the future..."

"Just what makes you think we're going to last in the future?"

"Are we not going to?" Jessica pouted.

"I don't know what the future has for us so don't be too comfortable with yourself," I reprimanded her.

"Stop acting like a grandma," she rolled her eyes.

"Keep acting like this and we're definitely not going to last," I told her sternly.

"Fine, fine. I'm sorry, my love."

 

After hours of flying, we finally reached the airport in San Francisco. The flight was nerve wrecking on some parts and Jessica made sure to calm me down a bit from my anxiety while the plane was going through turbulence. She explained to me just how turbulence worked and I finally understood that the plane rocking through the air did not mean that the plane was experiencing troubles and that we were about to crash. However, it was still a worrying experience to go through, especially when my heart felt like it was dropping.

"Unnie!!!"

Jessica turned around and was immediately met into a tight hug by a taller broad. By the way she called her, I am assuming it must be a relative of hers?

"How have you been?! How was Korea?"

Jessica pulled away from the hug with all smiles and told the girl some experiences she had while she was in Korea. She turned her head towards me and pulled me closer.

"By the way, this is Taeyeon," Jessica nonchalantly introduced me.

"So this was the girl you were crazy about since day one?" the girl asked Jessica.

Since day one?

"And this is my pretty not-so-little sister, Krystal," Jessica, in turn, finally introduced me to the broad.

"Nice to meet you," I bowed a little to her.

"Why are you bowing to me?" she playfully snarked, "I should be the one being more respectful towards you. After all, you're apparently a month older than my sister over here?"

"Uh... y-yes," I nodded slowly and chuckled slyly.

"No need to be shy!" Krystal placed a hand on my shoulder roughly, "you're in good hands!"

"Taeyeon is not as outgoing as you are, Krystal. You should be a bit more gentle," Jessica advised her sister.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I'm just excited that you're finally here!" Krystal told her sister.

"How's mom and dad?" Jessica asked.

"They're waiting for you at home. They're preparing an all-American buffet for you. They had figured you may have missed American cooking while you were away."

"They know Taeyeon is with me, right? And we're staying at a hotel?"

"Of course," Krystal nodded her head, "although they have their questions as to why you're bringing her around, they're more excited that you're finally back in the US."

"For a short while," Jessica sighed, "me coming here does not mean I'm here to finally focus on the business. I'm not done with Korea yet."

"That I understand," Krystal smiled lightly, "you might want to tell them more about your determination to stay in Korea though and the reason why you brought Taeyeon unnie along. You know they have a questioning attitude."

"Yeah, yeah," Jessica pursed her lips and turned to me, "don't worry. There's nothing you have to be afraid of."

"I don't know about that with just what you both told each other."

Was it really wise of me to come to the United States with her?

 

Krystal drove us to their parents home. San Francisco was just how it was on the internet. It was pretty crowded and there were lots of hills.although there were a good portion of flat roads. It seemed like a really busy general area to live in. The houses were really close next to each other and most seemed to be interconnected with each other.

"We're finally here!" Krystal exclaimed as she parked in front of a gorgeous two-story home looking over the bay from across the street.

Jessica started going out the door and walking behind Krystal's vehicle to attend to our baggage.

"Just how much is this home?" I muttered underneath my breath.

"I don't even ask about it," Krystal told me, hearing what I just told myself.

"I'm sorry, it's just that you guys have a gorgeous house, especially with a nice view. Did you guys grow up in this house?" I asked further.

"No," Krystal shook her head and reached for a button, opening the back door of the SUV, "we grew up at a house more inland. We did not move in here until some years ago. Let's just say that we moved here while unnie was going through college."

"I see..." I pursed my lips and decided to help out Jessica with the luggages.

The road adjoining the driveway was one of the main roads. It was busy with cars passing by each second. Right across, people were walking and exercising as they enjoyed the view of the bay. Jessica's parents must be really rich.

"Beautiful ain't it," Jessica commented as I was enjoying the view.

"I'm astounded as to why you would want to leave this kind of life," I blurted out, "this is gorgeous!"

"I already told you my reasons, Taeyeon. I want to sow my own soil on the ground," Jessica sighed, "it's okay. I will reach my own success and give us a life like this if you want."

"Jess..." I sighed, "... I did not mean to offend you. You just seem to have a really beautiful life and aren't struggling like us for money."

"What's the use of money if you're not happy deep down inside doing the things that you love?"

This might be one of the huge differences between Jessica and I. Coming from a family that did whatever it took to live comfortably versus Jessica who lived a life of luxury, we seem to not meet each other eye-to-eye when it comes to these things. If it was me, I would not leave this kind of life, but Jessica must not like where she is at if she were to stay continuing the path that her parents planned for her. I should just stop commenting and follow through with what Jessica had planned for herself.

 

Upon going inside, we were both immediately welcomed with an entire group of people. It was shocking to say the least but Jessica immediately went inside and hugged each and every one of the people who were there. Two of them looked behind her and took notice of me.

"This must be your friend? Care to introduce us?" the woman asked Jessica.

"Yes," Jessica nodded and walked towards me with smiles in her face. She locked arms with me and told everyone, "this is Taeyeon and she has been a major help while I was settling in Korea. I hope everyone welcomes her just like family."

"Welcome Taeyeon!" everyone cheered.

"T-Thank you," a smiled shyly. It was embarassing enough to be welcomed by a whole group of people. I thought it would just be her immediate family.

We were both ushered inside the house and I was met with clean white walls and a nice chandelier hanging from abov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter