Realization

Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer was soon turning into fall season as the wind blew from the hospital window, making the curtains sway. The breeze found its way to my cheeks, waking me up from a brief slumber. As soon as my eyes slowly opened, a pair of eyes met with mine. A smile crept on her face as soon as my eyes fluttered.

"Have you been watching me the whole time?" I asked Jessica, yawning and stretching the upper half of my body from my seat.

"I didn't know you could sleep so beautifully," she chuckled, "or maybe I should have known. You're generally pretty."

"I guess you're getting better," I muttered. She's back in her greasy antics.

"Then I should immediately get out of here," she said with determination.

I'm glad that Jessica felt better. Her collapsing right in front of me was definitely scary. What's even more scary is Yuri yelling at me over it as if I told Jessica to push her body to its limits. However, I understand now that I should have cared to check up on her at least especially since Jessica cared a lot about me. Even so, she was the one to check up on me almost everyday. Maybe this experience is a wake up call.

"How long have I been sleeping?" I asked.

"No idea," she pondered as she puckered her lips, "I just woke up and found you sleeping. It's a nice view to wake up to."

All of a sudden, my phone rang to a notification. I fished my phone out of my pocket to see who it was from and saw that it was from Yuri.

"Seems like everyone's coming to visit you in a bit," I told Jessica as I read the message Yuri sent.

"I must have made them worry a lot," Jessica frowned.

I flashed a smile towards her and held onto her hand, saying, "you should be thankful they're worried for you."

"Hm..." Jessica checked the temperature from my head, "... you're not sick but you're acting like it. Maybe you should be the one hospitalized right now?"

"What?" I shook my head and pushed Jessica's hand away from my head, "what are you talking about?"

"For someone who's the least bit worried about anyone, you're telling me that," she snickered.

"I'm..." I sighed, "... I'm sorry, okay?"

Jessica grabbed my hand with both of hers, "don't worry. I'm just teasing you."

No... I know it must have hurt her a lot whenever I pushed her away. It's a nice feeling to have someone worried about you other than your family, especially since my family is miles away.

"I will always be here for you," Jessica muttered, "it's not like I'm going anywhere since I've lasted this long."

"The question is, how long?" I blurted without realizing it. I immediately looked up at Jessica to see her reaction, regretting the words that came out of my mouth.

"Are you questioning my loyalty and my dedication?" she sneered and giggled right after.

"In all honesty though," I bit my lip, "how long are you planning to stay this dedicated?"

"Only you can answer that, Kim Taeyeon."

I sighed and told her, "I will definitely give you my answer eventually... I just don't know how much longer. Or maybe I'm just testing you. I really don't know."

"You never can make up your mind can you?"

I looked to see who said those words because it definitely did not come from Jessica, only to see Yuri and the rest of Flower Power staff standing outside of the door.

Yuri, with flowers upon her hand, walked towards Jessica's bed with the others following behind her, saying, "Jessica, as much as you love this little person sitting beside you, you should probably leave her alone and move on."

"H-How can you say brash things?" I asked her.

"Because you're making the girl wait for a really long time," Yuri placed the flowers beside the sunflowers I gave Jessica, "even after all of this happened, you still can't make up your mind. How long have you known that she likes you?"

"Please... let's not fight here," Sunny held Yuri back.

"Right, aren't we here for Jessica?" Hyoyeon asked, "how about the both of you step outside and settle things. We have a sick person here that's just trying to heal up. The least you could give her is stress."

Jessica turned her head towards me with worry.

"I... think we shouldn't rush the process," Jessica spoke up, "if Taeyeon couldn't give me an answer now, that's perfectly fine."

"You say that as if you're not hurting yourself in the process," Yuri blurted with crossed arms.

"Kwon Yuri!" Hyoyeon shouted.

"Fine," Yuri sighed and said, "I'm going to be right outside." She eyed on me and said, "if Taeyeon wants to step out too, then she could."

Jessica and I watched as Yuri marched out of the door. Jessica turned her head back towards me afterwards and gave me a reassuring smile.

"I'm not pressuring you at all, am I?" she asked.

I shook my head and looked towards her hand. Delicate.

"You should settle things with Yuri," Sooyoung told me, "I don't know how long this has been going on between you two but you can't be fighting like this and going to work afterwards in this state."

"Right," I nodded. I turned my gaze towards Jessica, who still looked worried, "I'll be back."

"Okay," Jessica nodded.

I stood up from my seat to meet Yuri outside, leaving Jessica behind with the rest of Flower Power flocking to see how she was doing. Upon opening the door, I saw Yuri leaning towards the wall right beside the door.

"Did you want to step out of the hospital?" she asked without diverting her gaze.

"Sure..."

 

I followed Yuri towards the hospital grounds with a cup of warm coffee upon our hands that we got from the hospital cafeteria. She led the both of us towards a bench and sat there. I kept a space away, not knowing what Yuri's mood was at the moment.

"How do you feel about Jessica?" she asked and sipped on her coffee.

My fingers flickered upon the cup of coffee I had within both of my hands, not knowing how to begin answering the question directed towards me. Although, I knew I had to give an answer.

"She's nice... helpful in her own ways..." I started, "... I don't know how I feel about her romantically but I know I like to keep her around."

"Okay," Yuri nodded and sipped on her coffee again, "do you find her pretty?"

"Of course," I nodded, "she's definitely pretty. There's no denying that. But... a lot of people are pretty as well. Everyone in Flower Power is pretty."

"No Taeyeon, is she pretty?" she asked once again.

I gulped. I do think Jessica is pretty but how pretty is she to me?

"Like the sunflowers, she's the sun that brightens up my day," I told Yuri, "the sunflowers that are pretty when they're blooming. The sunflowers that give you a welcoming aura. The petals that are open as if they're a pair of arms that want to embrace you when you're feeling down."

"Sunflower huh," Yuri chuckled, "go on."

I started to think of my memories of Jessica. From her sleazy introduction to the warm person that I came to have known.

"She's just someone that you get tired of but never get tired of... if you get my gist?"

"Yeah," Yuri nodded, "do you want to know how I would describe Jessica?"

"Go ahead," I nudged my head.

"I would describe her as someone with full determination and loyalty. Her dedication is definitely something to look towards to if I look at her as an employee. But as a person, she's warm and definitely dedicated. Loyal at that, especially towards you."

"She is..." I nodded and started to think about the countless times she's been there for me.

"Do you see the difference?" Yuri asked, "your description of Jessica was different than mine in so many ways. I bet the others wouldn't describe her the same way that you do."

"And your point is?" I asked.

"You like Jessica."

"If you like someone, aren't you supposed to have butterflies in your stomach or something?" I asked, "like the books. When someone describes seeing the person that they like, they feel different things like their heart jumping and electricity running through their veins."

"You don't necessarily have to experience all of those to know that you like someone," Yuri told me and sipped on her coffee, "the fact that you can't get tired of having her around is something to consider. No matter how much you want to push her away, in reality, you want her to stay around. You like her presence around you."

"Is that so?" I pondered and sipped on my coffee, "it's just something I never really experienced, you know?"

"You never had someone you wanted to stay around you?" she asked out of curiosity.

"Well... I can say that I want you guys to be around... the whole family of Flower Power. I also like my family to stay around. You guys are important to me but... yeah, I guess it's different when i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter