Ch. 2

See You Again

The next morning, Sangyeon and Eunha’s hearts are racing as they see the sunrise. They walk outside hand in hand and see the majesty riding in on his carriage. Their hearts drop, but Sangyeon tries to remain calm.

The majesty climbs out of his carriage and smiles widely at Eunha.

“My bride,” he greets. “Let’s go.”

Eunha tightly holds onto Sangyeon’s arm. 

“Your majesty,” Sangyeon cuts in. “Sorry for the intrusion, but I cannot let Eunha go with you.”

“And who are you,” the majesty asks. 

“I am her soon to be husband.”

The majesty chuckles. “No. No. I’m her soon to be husband.”

“Your majesty, with all due respect, please don’t take Eunha from me. I love her, and she loves me. If you take her away, we will both be devastated.”

“No. She won’t be devastated. I’ll shower her with love. You on the other hand, I don’t care what happens to you. Now excuse us. My bride and I have to go.” He motions for his men to go take Eunha.

As the men march over to them, Sangyeon protects Eunha. They grab Eunha by the arm and start to pull her away.

Sangyeon is holding onto her desperately. 

Eunha is trying to pull herself away from the men. As she is doing so, she is yelling at them to let her go. 

Her mother comes out upon all the commotion. She gasps and helps Sangyeon pull Eunha away. Sangyeon is holding Eunha in his arms.

“Halt,” the majesty says. He is getting irritated. 

The men stop. 

“Mother,” the majesty says with a smile. “I came to pick up my bride.” His smile fades. “But this man isn’t letting me have her.”

“Your majesty,” her mother begs. She goes down on her knees. “I’m very sorry, but my daughter is much in love with this man. Will you please reconsider?”

“I can’t. I’ve made my decision, and when I make a decision, I stick to it.” He motions for the men to take Eunha again.

Eunha screams as they take her by the arm.

Sangyeon doesn’t let Eunha go. 

“Mom,” Eunha shouts. “Help me!”

Her mother stands up and helps Sangyeon grab Eunha, but her mother is shoved to the side by the men.

Suddenly, a few men draw their swords and point their swords at Sangyeon.

Sangyeon freezes, but he doesn’t let Eunha go.

“Let her go,” one man says. “Unless you want to die.”

Sangyeon doesn’t let Eunha go. The man moves the sword up to his neck, but he still doesn’t let her go.

“Get rid of the problem,” the majesty says annoyed.

The men pull Eunha away from Sangyeon and stabs him in the abdomen.

“No,” Eunha screams.

The men drag Eunha to the majesty. She screams and struggles to get away from them, but they don’t let her go. They hand her to the majesty, and he quickly pushes her into his carriage. 

Sangyeon is on the ground cupping his wound. Her mother is crying next to him.

“Sangyeon,” Eunha shouts. “Sangyeon!”

The majesty holds Eunha down. He closes the carriage door and tells his men to go.

“Eunha,” Sangyeon shouts. He tries to stand up to chase after her, but the pain is unbearable. 

“Sangyeon,” Eunha shouts. She cries uncontrollably. 

“Don’t worry,” the majesty says. “Now that I have you, I’ll treat you like a queen.”

“I don’t care how you treat me,” Eunha cries. “I don’t love you! I don’t want to be with you!”

“It’s okay.” He smiles. “Time will make you love me.”

Eunha turns her back to him.

 

Sangyeon is lying down in Eunha’s bed. His face is pale, and he has a cold sweat.  Both his parents are by his side. 

“I’m sorry,” her mother cries. “It’s our fault!”

“No,” his mother says. “It’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself.”

The doctor who is beside Sangyeon examining him sighs. 

“What’s wrong, doctor,” his father asks afraid. 

“I’m afraid the wound is too deep,” the doctor says. “I can’t stop the bleeding. He’ll die within an hour.”

The parents shed tears together. 

 

“I’m sorry that I haven’t introduced myself,” the majesty tells Eunha. “My name is Lee Jaehyun. I’m the king to the east. All I know is that your name is Eunha. Will you tell me more about yourself?”

Eunha doesn’t answer him. Though she isn’t crying anymore, her back is still toward him.

“It’s okay,” Jaehyun says. “I’ll eventually get to know you.” He looks up front. “Halt,” he shouts. “Let’s rest here.”

The carriage comes to a stop.

“Let’s go out,” Jaehyun says. “We can stretch our feet.”

Jaehyun climbs out of his carriage.

“Keep an eye on her highness,” Jaehyun tells his men. “We don’t want her to run away.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

Jaehyun walks away.

Eunha sniffles and wipes her eyes. She climbs out of the carriage. 

The weather is nice. The wind is blowing a cool breeze, and the sky has just turned blue. 

Eunha thinks of Sangyeon. She takes a deep breath and tries to hold in her tears.

“Please be okay,” she tells herself. “Please be saved.”

She starts walking away from the carriage.

The men start following her.

Eunha stops. “Are you guys going to follow me,” she asks.

“It’s his majesty’s order.”

“I want to be alone. I promise I won’t run away. I have no strength left.”

Eunha starts walking away. She walks up to the side of the road and sees flowers standing up on the grass. That makes her think of Sangyeon. 

 

The doctor has his fingers on Sangyeon’s pulse, and slowly, the doctor feels his pulse slowing down until eventually, he doesn’t feel one. The doctor looks at the parents and shakes his head.

 

Eunha suddenly feels a pain in her chest. She grasps her chest in pain. Eunha squats down and waits for the pain to go away. When it does, she sees the flower.

“Wow,” Eunha said. “This flower is very pretty.”

“It looks nice doesn’t it,” Sangyeon said. “They’re called Aconitum.”

The two of them were on a date, and Eunha spotted the flowers on the side of the road. 

“Do you pick these for mother as well,” Eunha asked.

She bended down for a closer look at the flowers. 

“No,” Sangyeon replied. He bended down next to her. “They look pretty and smell nice, but it’s poisonous. If you eat it, you could die.”

“Ahh. I see.”

Eunha grabs a handful of the flowers and starts ingesting them. She continues to do so until she hears Jaehyun calling for her. Eunha returns to the carriage.

Jaehyun greets her with a smile.

Eunha climbs back into the carriage and sits down. 

Jaehyun climbs in and sits next to her.

“Let’s go,” he commands.

The carriage starts moving.

Jaehyun turns to Eunha, but her back is to him.

“We will be home when night comes," he tells her. "If you're tired, go to sleep."

She doesn't answer him. 

A few hours go by, and Eunha is leaning against the carriage. Her breath is getting heavy, and she feels pain coming from her stomach.

“What’s wrong,” Jaehyun asks.

Eunha doesn’t reply.

Jaehyun leans toward her and turns her over.

Eunha swats his hand away.

“What’s wrong,” he asks. “Are you sick?”

“Don’t worry about me,” she breathes. Eunha leans on the carriage. She clutches onto her stomach and closes her eyes.

Jaehyun starts to get worried.

“Men,” Jaehyun calls. “Hurry! Eunha isn’t feeling well!”

The pain starts to worsen.

“Can you make it,” Jaehyun asks Eunha. “Even if we go full speed, we won’t be home until later this evening.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Eunha says. “No matter what, I never wanted to go with you.” Eunha grimaces in pain.

“Did you do something,” he asks. “Did you eat something on the last stop?”

Eunha doesn’t answer him. 

“Puke it out,” he says sternly. “Right now!”

“It’s too late,” Eunha breathes. “Even if I puke it out, the poison is going to kill me.”

Jaehyun starts to get teary eyed.

“Do you hate me that much that you would rather die than be with me,” he asks.

“Yes,” Eunha replies.

She feels the poison kick in. Eunha grimaces.

Jaehyun is angered by her answer. He screams. 

Eunha feels her breath slowing down. The pain is slowly going away.

Jaehyun turns over to Eunha, and she is gone. He cries and pulls her into his arms. 

 

[Present]

 

Eunha is walking alongside the road of the park and takes pictures of nature. As she is doing so, she starts taking selfies.

“Eunha,” Jaehyun calls.

She turns her body and sees Jaehyun running over to her. He hands her a can of juice.

“Took you long enough,” Eunha says in a joking way. 

“Sorry,” Jaehyun says. “There was a line. That juice machine must be popular here. I wonder how much money they make.”

Eunha opens the can and starts drinking the juice.

“What kind of pictures did you get,” Jaehyun asks. 

“What Boss wanted,” Eunha replies. “Trees, flowers, anything nature.”

Jaehyun looks through the camera.

“I like this one,” he says. He shows her one of her selfies. “It really brings out the nature in you.”

Eunha hits his arm, and he laughs. 

“So, I took a few selfies,” Eunha says. “That’s the only good quality camera I have.”

“Should I take some more,” Jaehyun asks.

Eunha nods her head.

“Make me look tall,” she says.

“Okay,” he replies.

She starts posing, and he starts taking the pictures.

Later that night, they return to their apartment. He drops her off at her room before he walks up to his room.

The next morning, Eunha wakes up to the smell of breakfast. She walks out to the kitchen. Her hair is still messy, and she is still wearing her pajamas.

"Jaehyun," she calls. "I knew it was you!"

"Why don't you wash up, first sleepy head," Jaehyun says.

She sits at the table and waits for him to set the table. 

"I want to eat first," Eunha replies.

Once he sets the table, she smiles.

"You're the best, Jaehyun," Eunha says.

She starts eating.

"What would you do without me," he asks.

"Sleep in," Eunha replies.

Jaehyun chuckles.

"Eat up," he says. "You know I will always make you breakfast."

She stuffs her face with food. 

He smiles at her.

"What are we doing today," Eunha asks. "Why are you dressed up?"

"Boss gave us a new assignment. Scent is coming out with a new perfume, and she wants us to go take pictures of the models."

"What time?"

"Two."

"Perfect! I can eat and take another nap!"

"You have to get ready."

"I can sleep for another 2 hours. I only need one hour to get ready."

"I'll make sure to call you to wake you up."

"Thank you! You're the best."

After breakfast, Eunha goes back to bed like she said, and Jaehyun goes back to his room. 

Eunha’s phone rings. She turns over and puts her phone on speaker.

“Hello,” she asks. Her eyes are still closed, and she is still half asleep.

“Wake up sleepy head,” Jaehyun says. 

Eunha doesn’t answer him.

“Did you fall asleep again,” Jaehyun asks.

“No,” she slurs. 

“Come on. Get up.”

Eunha groans.

“What time is it,” she asks.

“12:45,” he replies. 

Eunha stretches. “I’m awake,” she says. She stops stretching and lies still. Her eyes are still closed.

“You’re just lying in bed with your eyes closed aren’t you,” Jaehyun asks.

“No,” she says.

Eunha sits up. Her hair is a mess, and her eyes are still closed. 

“I’m really up,” she groans. 

“Now you’re sitting up and your eyes are still closed,” Jaehyun says. “Get out of bed! I’ll hang up when you get out of bed.”

Eunha opens her eyes and climbs out of bed.

“There,” she says. “I’m up.”

“Okay,” Jaehyun replies. “I’ll come pick you up in 40 minutes.”

“Okay.”

Eunha fixes her bed and starts preparing to go out. 

Jaehyun enters her room, and the room is blasting with music. He enters her bedroom and sees Eunha still doing her hair.

“You’re not ready yet,” Jaehyun asks.

“I’m almost done,” Eunha replies. She is tying her hair, but she doesn’t like it, so she undoes it and starts tying her hair again.

“We have to leave right now, or we’ll be late,” Jaehyun says.

“I’m almost done,” Eunha replies.

“This is why you should get up earlier to get ready.”

“We’ve always made it on time,” Eunha assures him. No matter how much she ties her hair, she doesn’t like it, so she decides to let it free fall. “Let’s go,” she says. She grabs her purse and camera, and they head out.