Ch. 4

See You Again

For the next few days, Eunha and Jaehyun are working endlessly that when their jobs are done, Boss gives them a week off. 

“We’re giving you a free trip to Jeju,” Boss says. “You two have earned it.”

“Thank you, Boss,” Jaehyun and Eunha says.

They board the plane the next morning.

“This is great,” Jaehyun shouts. 

The two of them are at the hotel.

“The scenery is amazing,” Eunha says.

“Let’s check into our rooms,” Jaehyun says.

Both their rooms are across from each other. After they unpack, the two of them are outside walking around.

“What should we do,” Jaehyun asks.

‘Let’s go eat,” Eunha says. “I’m hungry.”

“Let’s go!”

The two of them are sitting together in a restaurant.

Eunha hums as she eats.

“Tomorrow,” Eunha says. “Don’t wake me up. I’m going to sleep until my heart's content.”

“Then what am I supposed to do,” Jaehyun asks.

“Go sightseeing.”

“But sightseeing isn’t fun with only one person. You need at least a friend to go with you.”

“Sleep in as well then.”

“I don’t think I can.”

“Then just eat. Eat until I wake up then we can go.”

Jaehyun chuckles. “You’re such a great friend,” he says sarcastically.

Eunha smiles. 

That night, Eunha is sleeping soundly in bed. Even in the morning, she is still sleeping, and in the evening, she is sleeping. 

The sun is about to set, and Eunha finally wakes up. She stretches and sits up.

“That was a great sleep,” Eunha says. She runs her fingers through her hair and goes to the fridge. She grabs a carton of milk and pours herself some milk. Then, she grabs her phone and calls Jaehyun. 

“Look who’s finally awake,” Jaehyun says.

Eunha smiles. She slumps down on the couch.

“Were you bored,” she asks.

“Mmm,” he says.

“What did you do all day?”

“I stayed in my room all day,” he replies. “Did you eat yet?”

“I drank some milk.”

“Aren’t you hungry? Let’s go eat.”

“You haven’t eaten?”

“I ate already, but I can go with you to get food.”

“Let me get ready.”

“I’ll be over in fifteen minutes.”

“Okay.”

They hang up, and Eunha starts to wash herself up. 

Jaehyun and Eunha are walking side by side outside. The sun is gone, and the sky is changing colors.

“Isn’t the sky pretty,” Jaehyun asks.

“Yes,” Eunha replies. She takes out her phone and starts taking pictures. “I guess it doesn’t matter where I am,” Eunha says. “I can’t stop taking pictures.”

Jaehyun smiles. “What do you want to eat?”

“Mmm,” Eunha thinks. “Pork belly.”

“That sounds good. Let’s go!”

The two sit in a restaurant together. Jaehyun is cooking the meat while Eunha is eating.

“Mmm,” Eunha hums. “This is so good!”

Jaehyun stares at her.

“She looks so cute,” he tells himself.

“Eunha,” Jaehyun says. “I have something I want to tell you.”

“Go ahead,” Eunha says. She shoves more food into .

“We’ve known each other since we were little,” Jaehyun says. “We’ve always been neighbors and friends. I’ve watched you grow into a beautiful independent woman, and today, I want to tell you that I.”

Eunha gasps. She looks past Jaehyun.

“What’s wrong,” Jaehyun asks.

“It’s Mr. Lee,” Eunha whispers. “What is he doing here?”

Jaehyun turns around and sees Mr. Lee entering a room.

“What a small world,” Eunha grimaces.

Jaehyun faces Eunha again.

“Let’s not mind him,” Eunha says. “Continue with what you were saying.”

“Oh.” Jaehyun takes a deep breath. “Eunha, I was going to say that I like you. I really like you. I hope you feel the same way towards me.”

Eunha doesn’t answer him. 

Jaehyun waits for her to answer him.

“Say something,” he says. “Was I too straight forward? I’m sorry if I came on too strong.”

“No. No,” Eunha says. “Not at all. It’s just, I’ve never seen you more than a friend and a co-worker.”

“Oh.” Jaehyun frowns. “I’ll work harder. I’ll make you fall in love with me.”

Eunha forces a smile hoping the air won't be more awkward. 

Mr. Lee greets an important man, and the man greets Mr. Lee back. The man seems friendly as he is greeting Mr. Lee with a friendly smile. They sit across from each other.

“I’m sorry,” the man says. “For having you come to a place like this. My daughter wanted to eat here.” He turns to his little daughter and watches her eat heartily.

“It’s okay, Mr. Jang,” Mr. Lee says. “You don’t have to apologize. If we get to meet, I don’t mind.”

“You’re too kind, Mr. Lee. So, the photoshoot is tomorrow,” Mr. Jang asks.

“Yes, sir. I’m glad that you agreed to this photoshoot. I promise I won’t let you down.”

“I have faith in you. I know this photoshoot will be great. My models are excited for this photoshoot. They love your perfume.”

Mr. Lee chuckles. 

"I’m glad,” Mr. Lee says. Suddenly, his phone rings. “Excuse me.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

Mr. Lee stands up and exits the room. He answers his phone.

“Hello,” he says. “What? What do you mean? How can you be so careless?” He sighs. “Alright. Find me a replacement right away.” He turns off his phone and heads back to the room. “I’m sorry,” Mr. Lee says. He sits down.

“Is something wrong,” Mr. Jang asks.

“Our photographer fell ill. I’m sorry, but the photoshoot will have to be postponed until we can find a replacement.”

“Oh. Don’t worry about it. Tell me when you’re ready for the shoot.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Mr. Jang nods his head. “Are you hungry,” Mr. Jang asks. “If you are, order something. I’ll pay.”

“No, thank you, sir. I should go find that replacement.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, sir. Thank you for your time.”

Mr. Lee exits the room. As he is about to exit the restaurant, he notices Eunha. She is talking to Jaehyun, and she is still eating. Mr. Lee approaches her.

“Ms. Kang,” Mr. Lee asks.

Eunha looks up. Her eyes grow big.

“It is you,” Mr. Lee says. “I’m sorry to interrupt your dinner, but may I please talk to you?”

“Why do you want to talk to me," Eunha asks.

“It’s for business.”

Eunha doesn’t want to go, but she excuses herself from the table and follows Mr. Lee outside.

“Are you here on a trip,” Mr. Lee asks.

“Vacation,” Eunha replies. 

Mr. Lee nods his head. “I’m sorry to in, but I’m in need of a photographer. Will you please help me?”

“Help you? You told me you were going to replace me.”

“And I did,” Mr. Lee says. “But he fell ill. Will you please help me?”

“What if I say no?”

“Then, I’ll be in trouble until I can find a photographer.”

“And if I say yes?”

“I’ll pay you double.”

“No thank you.”

Eunha starts walking away, but Mr. Lee steps in front of her.

“Why not,” he asks.

“Do you think money is grown on trees?”

“What?”

“You keep throwing your money around.”

“I do not.”

“Yes, you do. You’ve thrown your money at me twice.”

“I have not. The first time, I broke your camera, so I offered to pay. You stated the amount, and I gave you that amount. This time, I’m paying you double because I’m grateful. Never have I ever thrown my money at anyone.”

“You may think that you’re not throwing your money, but have you ever thought that your actions say otherwise?”

“Look, we shouldn’t be fighting right now. I’m sorry if that’s how my action looked, but I’m desperate. Please, help me. I’ll give you the regular pay. I’ll give you anything.”

Eunha looks at him not convinced, but the desperation in his eyes changes her mind.

“Fine,” she says. “I’ll help you. Just the regular pay is fine.”

“Great,” he says. “Give me your number. I’ll text you the place and time.”

Eunha hands him her phone, and he types in his number. He calls her and hangs up. 

“You’ll receive the text later tonight,” he says. “Thank you.”

He walks away.

Eunha watches him go. He climbs into a Porsche and drives off. “That guy,” she tells herself.

That night, Eunha receives a text from Mr. Lee.

“Tomorrow,” she asks. “Eight in the morning? Is he serious?” She sighs. “I’ll be there,” she texts back.

Mr. Lee is in his room. He is wearing black sweatpants and a white polo shirt. His hair is usually up, but his hair is down. He sees the text from Eunha. Then, he sees a text from his fiance. He smiles and replies to her.

“I can’t sleep,” he tells her. 

“Eat an apple,” she tells him. “That usually helps you sleep.”

“Okay,” he says. “Miss you!”

“Me too!”

Mr. Lee walks to the kitchen and grabs a knife before he grabs an apple. He starts peeling the apple. As he is doing so, he accidently grazes his finger with the knife. He drops the knife and winces in pain. A drop of blood falls from the cut.

Eunha drops her cup on the ground and clutches her chest. She winces in pain.

“What the heck,” she tells herself. 

The pain worsens making her fall to the ground. 

Mr. Lee washes off the blood and bandages up his finger. He finishes cutting the apple and eats it.

Eunha’s chest finally settles down. She looks confused.

“What was that,” she asks herself. “That has never happened before.” She picks up the cup and stands up.