Ch. 7

See You Again

At Scent, Eunha is walking around taking pictures of how Scent makes their perfume. To her surprise, they are using flowers to make their perfume. 

“Have you always used flowers,” Eunha asks one of the workers.

“Yes,” he replies. “Mr. Lee uses flowers as the main product for all our perfumes.”

Eunha nods her head. She continues to take pictures. 

At the end of her shift, she walks out of the building and spots Mr. Lee with a woman. They are in each other’s embrace. They break the hug and kiss each other.

“That must be his fiance,” she tells herself.

Eunha continues to walk to her car, but she stops when she feels her eyes well up in tears. A tear rolls down her eye shocking her.

“What’s wrong with me,” she asks. She wipes the tear away. Another tear rolls down her eye. She wipes that one away as well and takes a deep breath. 

At home, Jaehyun has dinner ready for Eunha like he said. When she walks through the door, he greets her with a happy smile, but that smile fades away when he sees her looking down.

“What’s wrong,” he asks. He walks over to her and pulls her into a hug.

Eunha hugs him back.

“I don’t know,” Eunha says. “I just feel really sad.” She sniffles. “I can’t stop the tears.” She breaks down. 

Jaehyun tightens the hug and lets her cry.

The two of them sit on the couch. Eunha is wiping her tears with a tissue.

“Did something happen at work,” Jaehyun asks.

Eunha shakes her head. “Everything went well,” Eunha says. “I don’t know why I’m just overwhelmed with sadness.”

“It’s okay,” he says. “You can cry. I will be right here.”

Eunha sniffles. “I want dinner,” Eunha replies.

“Okay. Let me go heat everything up.”

Eunha nods her head. 

After dinner, Jaehyun assures Eunha to call him if she feels sad.

“I’ll be okay,” Eunha assures Jaehyun. “Thank you.”

He nods his head.

“Should I stay,” Jaehyun asks.

Eunha chuckles.

“No,” She says. “You should go.”

“Alright,” Jaehyun replies. 

They wave goodbye to each other.

The next day at work, Eunha goes visit Mr. Lee in his office.

“Sorry to bother you, Mr. Lee,” Eunha says. “But I’ve taken pictures of everything that I could. Do I still have to continue taking pictures for you?”

“Do you want to be free from Scent that much,” he asks.

“No. It’s just, there’s nothing new for me to take pictures of. I’m taking pictures of the same things over and over again.”

“Tomorrow,” Mr. Lee says. “You’ll have something new to take pictures of.”

“What am I taking pictures of?”

“The very first thing that we must do to produce our perfume.”

“Which is?”

“Picking flowers,” he answers.

“Picking flowers?”

“It’ll be you and me. Tell me your address and come pick you up at 9 in the morning.”

“I’d rather you just tell me where to go.”

“Why waste gas and ruin earth when we can save it by using one car?”

“Okay,” she says. “I’ll text you my address.”

“Good. You may go home for the day.”

“Yesterday,” Eunha says after a pause. “I saw you with a woman outside. Is she your fiance?”

Mr. Lee nods his head. “She is.”

“You two look well together,” she says.

“Thank you. We’re getting married in six months. I’ll send you an invitation.”

“I’ll look forward to it.”

Eunha walks out.

At home, she is alone since Jaehyun is at work, so she changes into comfortable clothes and turns on the tv before she starts eating whatever she has in the fridge. 

That night, Eunha is lying in bed talking to Jaehyun on the phone.

"How was work," she asks.

"The same," he says. "And you?"

"I came home early, but I have to wake up early tomorrow to go to work. Mr. Lee is picking me up."

"Mr. Lee is picking you up?"

"Yes, he wants me to take pictures of him picking flowers."

"Picking flowers?"

"They make their perfumes from flowers."

"Ahh. If I don't have work tomorrow, I'd come with you. I still don't like Mr. Lee."

"I didn't like him at first either, but he isn't that bad. He's actually a very good person."

"Still if anything happens, call me right away."

"I will."

The next morning, Eunha and Mr. Lee are in a field of flowers. Mr. Lee is picking out flowers and putting them in a basket. Eunha on the other hand is taking pictures of him. 

"So, this is how everything starts," Eunha asks. She squats down next to him.

"Yes," Mr. Lee says. 

"Is it you who picks the flowers, or do you have different people pick the flowers for you?"

"I pick the flowers myself," Mr. Lee replies. "Sometimes I would bring Hyojin with me."

"Hyojin? Your fiance?"

He nods his head.

"Must be nice," Eunha says. "It's nice and quiet out here. You two must have a lot of fun being out here together."

"We do."

He smiles at the thought.

Eunha feels her heart in pain, so she clenches her chest.

Mr. Lee notices. "Are you okay," he asks.

"Yes," she replies. She takes a deep breath. 

"Did you go to the hospital?"

"I did. Nothing is wrong with me."

"Then, why are you having chest pain?"

"I don't know. I might just be tired."

"I'll hurry, so we can go home then."

"It's okay," Eunha says. "Take your time."

Eunha reaches for a flower. "This one is very pretty."

Mr. Lee watches her.

"That one is called Aconitum," Mr. Lee says. "It's pretty but be careful. It's poisonous."

"Oh," Eunha says. She lets go of the flower. "So how do you pick the flowers? Do you do it by size?"

"No. I'm not picky. I pick whichever flower my hand lands on."

"Ahh. Then, what do you do after you bring them back?"

"We bring them into the lab where a machine will pluck the petals off. You've seen it haven't you?"

“No,” Eunha replies.

“I’ll take you there first,” he says. “Is that okay? We need pictures for that as well.”

“That’s fine,” She says. “I’m curious as to how the machine works.”

“Will you be okay,” he asks.

“I’ll be fine,” she assures him. “My heart is strong.”

She plucks a flower.

"So, this one is fine," she asks.

He turns his head. "Yes."

They make eye contact.

Mr. Lee turns away awkwardly.

"Sorry," he says.

"Mr. Lee," Eunha says. "Have we met somewhere before?"

"What," he asks. He faces her.

"You look so familiar."

He chuckles. "That's an old pickup line, and you know I have a fiance."

"That wasn't a pickup line. I'm being serious. Have we met somewhere before?"

He shakes his head. "I've never seen you before in my life," he replies.

Eunha turns away. "Sorry."

Mr. Lee's phone rings, so he stands up and walks away to pick it up. 

"Hey," he greets.

Eunha can hear the smile in his voice. She can tell that he's talking to his fiance.

After he is done, he turns around again.

"Let's go," he says. "We have plenty."

Mr. Lee grabs the basket and starts walking.

Eunha stands up and starts following him, but she stops. A tear rolls down her eye. She quickly wipes it away.

"Not now," she tells herself. 

She takes a deep breath and takes a step, but her heart starts piercing with pain. Eunha clutches her chest and falls.

Mr. Lee is getting further away. The further he is, the more her heart aches. 

"Mr. Lee," she breathes.

But he doesn't hear her.

"How long have you been a photographer,” he asks trying to make conversation.

But he doesn’t get a response from her, so he turns around and sees that she isn't with him. Mr. Lee sees Eunha on the ground clutching onto her chest. He gasps and runs over to her. Mr. Lee bends down and sets his basket down. He grabs Eunha’s shoulders to help keep her up. 

“Are you okay,” he asks.

Eunha feels her heart slowly calming down. 

“Let’s go to the hospital,” Mr. Lee continues. 

She takes a deep breath.

“Can you get up,” he asks.

She nods her head. “I’m okay,” she says.

“No, you’re not,” he argues. “Let’s go to the hospital.”

Mr. Lee helps her up and supports her to his car.

“I’m really okay,” she says.

“We’re going to the hospital,” he says sternly.

Mr. Lee helps Eunha climb into the car before he runs over to the driver’s side and drives to the hospital.

Eunha is sitting on the hospital bed while Mr. Lee is talking to the doctor.

“Our results show that there is nothing wrong with her,” the doctor says.

“Are you sure,” Mr. Lee asks.

“Yes.”

“Doctor, this isn’t the first time she’s had chest pain. Will you please do another test? I’ll pay for it.”

“No matter how many tests we do, the results will be the same. I’m sorry.”

Mr. Lee walks over to Eunha.

“What did the doctor say,” Eunha asks.

“They couldn’t find anything wrong,” Mr. Lee says. “I’m sorry.”

She shakes her head. “Don’t be,” she says. “It’s not your fault. Thank you for bringing me here.”

Eunha stands up and starts walking away. Mr. Lee follows her.

“Let me take you home,” he says.

“It’s okay,” she says. “We have to go to the lab to take pictures.”

“We can do that another day,” Mr. Lee says. “You should rest first.”

“No,” Eunha says. “I want to see the lab.”

Mr. Lee ponders. “Okay,” he says. “I’ll just have to keep my eyes on her,” he tells himself.

Eunha is in the lab with Mr. Lee and his workers. She is taking pictures while Mr. Lee is watching his workers work the machine.

“Do you usually watch them,” Eunha asks Mr. Lee.

“No,” he says. “They know what they’re doing. I don’t have to monitor them.”

Eunha continues to take pictures.

Mr. Lee walks over to her, but he tries not to make it obvious.

“How are you feeling,” he asks her. 

“A lot better,” she answers.

“If you feel faint,” he says. “Let me know.”

“I will.”

Eunha continues to take pictures. She starts talking to the workers.

Mr. Lee observes them, and he secretly smiles. 

“That’s so cool,” Eunha awes. 

“If you press this button,” a worker says. “The machine will put the petals back on the stem.”

“Really,” Eunha asks astonished.

The worker laughs. “I’m just joking.”

Eunha laughs with him.

“This button is actually the on off button,” the worker says.

Eunha snaps another photo.

Suddenly, the machine starts acting up. 

“What’s wrong,” Eunha asks.

“I’m not sure,” the worker says. 

Eunha takes a step back, and the worker starts working on the machine.

Suddenly, the machine starts steaming, and the glass starts cracking.

“Everyone,” Mr. Lee says. “Evacuate immediately.”

Mr. Lee quickly walks over to Eunha, to remove her, but the glass shatters and flies everywhere.

Everyone screams and looks away. 

Eunha feels her chest piercing in pain. She clutches onto her chest. 

“Is everyone okay,” he asks.

Everyone says they’re okay.

He turns to Eunha and sees her grabbing her chest. He immediately is concerned.

“Ms. Kang,” he calls. He grabs her shoulders. “Are you okay?”

She looks up and immediately realizes he has a cut on his forehead. She gasps and raises her hand up to his forehead.

“You’re bleeding,” she says.

Her chest is still in pain but seeing him in pain makes her worry for him. 

“Let’s go to the hospital,” Eunha says.

Eunha wipes the dripping blood from his cut.

Mr. Lee finally realizes that he is bleeding. He lets go of Eunha and cups his cut.

“No,” Mr. Lee says. “I’ll be fine. I have a first aid kit in my office.” He turns to his workers. “You guys know what to do.”

They nod their heads.

Mr. Lee walks out of the lab, and Eunha follows him.

“Let’s go to the hospital,” Eunha says. “Your cut could be infected.”

“It’s okay,” Mr. Lee says. “I’ll quickly bandage my cut up. Then, take you to the hospital.”

“No,” Eunha says. “I’m fine. I think you should go to the hospital.”

“I’m fine.”

They enter his office, and Mr. Lee goes straight to his first aid kit. He tries to clean his cut.

Eunha walks over to Mr. Lee and grabs the cotton ball.

“I’ll help you,” she says. She goes on her tippy toes and tries to reach for his wound, but she stumbles. 

Mr. Lee catches her.

“Are you okay,” he asks.

She nods her head. “Will you please sit down, so I can reach your wound.” she asks.

“Sure,” he says. He sits on his chair, and Eunha bends down to clean his wound. 

As she concentrates, he is staring at her. He can feel his heart increasing.

“What’s wrong with you, Sangyeon,” he asks himself. “You have a fiance. You can’t fall in love with another woman.” 

“Sangyeon,” she shouted. “Sangyeon!”

Suddenly, he feels emotions overwhelming him. His eyes start to well up with tears.

Eunha notices. “I’m sorry,” she says. “Does it hurt? I’m almost done.” She puts a bandage on his cut. “Done,” she says. Eunha fixes her posture and looks away. 

A tear falls down Mr. Lee’s eye. 

“I should be done taking pictures,” Eunha says. “If you want, I can leave you the SD card.”

She looks down at him and sees him crying. Eunha is shocked.

“Are you okay,” she asks. “Does it really hurt?”

He doesn’t answer her.

“Her voice is so familiar,” he tells himself. 

“I’ll go get you some pain killers,” Eunha says. She is about to walk away, but he grabs her arm.

“Wait,” he says. He sniffles. 

“Is something wrong?” She pulls her arm away from him.

Mr. Lee wipes his tears away. “I’m sorry,” he says. “Something came over me.”

Eunha takes a step back.

“So, should I leave my SD card here,” she asks.

“Go ahead,” he says. 

Eunha puts the SD card on his desk.

“I’ll take my leave,” Eunha says.

“Wait,” Mr. Lee calls. “Have we met somewhere before?”

Eunha chuckles. “Are you using that pickup line on me? You have a fiance.”

“I’m being serious,” he says. “Have we met somewhere before?”

She shakes her head.

“I’m sorry,” he says. He closes his eyes and turns around. “You may go.”

Eunha slowly takes her leave.

When he hears the door closing, Mr. Lee sits in his chair and sighs.

“What is wrong with me,” he asks. “Why am I feeling this way?” 

He tries to shake off the feeling by distracting himself with work. He plugs in the SD card into his laptop and looks through the pictures. Most of the pictures are of Scent, but as he goes further, he starts seeing pictures of Eunha. He can’t stop staring at her. Mr. Lee catches himself smiling and quickly wipes the smile off his face. He face palms himself.

“Sangyeon,” he says. “What is wrong with you?”

Mr. Lee starts skipping her pictures, but he stops when he lands on a picture of Eunha and Jaehyun. The two of them are posing closely in the picture. He feels jealousy boil inside of him. Mr. Lee closes his laptop and stands up. 

Suddenly, the door to his office opens. 

“Sangyeon!”

He looks up and sees Hyojin walking over to him. He sighs in relief and quickly approaches her before pulling her into a hug.

Hyojin is shocked by his action, but she hugs him back happily.

“How was your day,” she asks him.

He tightens the hug.

She smiles and rubs his back.

“You must be really tired,” she says.

Hyojin breaks the hug. She gasps when she sees the bandage on his forehead. “What happened?”

Mr. Lee lets her go and touches the bandage. “There was an accident in the lab,” he tells her. “It’s okay. Ms. Kang helped me bandage it.”

“Ms. Kang?”

“The photographer who’s helping me with the documentary.”

“Ahh. How nice of her. Does it hurt? Should I get you painkillers?”

Mr. Lee shakes his head. He’s finally calmed down, and that makes him relieved.