Ch. 6

See You Again

Later that evening, Eunha receives an address from Mr. Lee, so she goes to the address. She arrives in another hotel, but that hotel is bigger than the one she is staying in. Eunha presses the doorbell, and Mr. Lee answers the door. She looks at him surprised. It is the first time that she is seeing him in casual clothing.

“Please come in,” Mr. Lee says. 

Eunha walks into the room. They walk to the living room together.

“Have a seat,” Mr. Lee says. “I’ll go get your paycheck.”

He walks to the bedroom.

Eunha sits on the couch and is immediately shocked.

“This couch is super comfortable,” she talks to herself. 

Mr. Lee walks out and walks over to Eunha. He hands her a white envelope.

“Thank you,” Eunha says. She accepts the envelope. “How’s your ankle?”

“It’s fine. I just sprained it a little.”

“That’s a relief.”

Mr. Lee walks to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of water.

“I’ll be heading out,” Eunha says. She stands up.

“Should I take you back,” Mr. Lee asks.

“Excuse me,” Eunha asks.

“It’s night now. A woman like you heading back alone is dangerous.”

That remark makes her surprised. “It’s okay. Who would want to kidnap me anyway? You should rest your ankle instead.”

“My ankle is fine, but you’re also a woman,” he continues. “You don’t know how men can become wolves, but if you insist, I won’t take you home.”

His words make her heart flutter.

He starts washing the cup. As soon as the water hits his cut, he winces in pain. 

Eunha feels her heart piercing in pain again. She clutches onto her chest.

Mr. Lee wipes his hands dry and puts the cup away. He turns around and sees Eunha still clutching onto her chest.

“Ms. Kang,” Mr. Lee says. He rushes over to her and carefully approaches her. “Are you okay?”

Eunha is breathing heavily. For some reason, the pain this time is unbearable. 

“Let’s go to the hospital,” he says.

She squats down still clutching onto her chest.

Mr. Lee places his hand on her shoulder. That makes her pain go away.

“Let’s go to the hospital,” Mr. Lee repeats.

Eunha takes a deep breath.

“It’s okay,” she says. “I’m okay. Sorry. I’ll get going.”

“No,” he says. “Let’s go to the hospital.”

“Really,” she assures. “I’m fine. I’ll see my doctor when I go back to Seoul.”

“Are you sure?”

Eunha nods her head.

“Thank you,” Eunha says. She stands up, and Mr. Lee follows her up. She starts walking to the door. Suddenly, the lights start flickering, and the power goes out. Eunha gasps. “What happened?”

Mr. Lee lights up the room with his phone flashlight. 

“I think it’s a power outage,” Mr. Lee says. 

“I’m sorry,” Eunha says.

“It’s okay. I’m going to bed anyway.”

Eunha walks over to the door and twists the handle, but the door doesn’t open. She starts pushing and pulling against the door, but the door doesn’t open.

“The door automatically locks in power outages,” Mr. Lee says. “No one can leave or go out.”

“What,” Eunha asks. She turns to Mr. Lee. 

Mr. Lee starts dialing a number on his phone. 

“The electricity is out in Panel Hotel,” Mr. Lee says. “Please come fix it as soon as possible.” He pauses. “Alright. Thank you.”

“They’ll fix it by midnight,” Mr. Lee says. 

“Midnight,” Eunha asks.

“There’s nothing we can do but wait. Make yourself comfortable. I’ll be sleeping.”

Mr. Lee walks to the bedroom and closes the door.

Eunha turns on her phone light and walks back to the couch and sits down. She looks at the percentage of her phone and it is at 13%. Eunha sighs. She quickly sends Jaehyun a text.

“I’m stuck at Mr. Lee’s room because of a power outage,” she says. “I won’t be home until late, so don’t wait for me and don’t worry. Also, my phone is going to die, so I won’t be able to reply to you.”

Eunha turns off her phone light and sits in the dark. Then, she turns her head to the window and walks over to it. She moves the curtain to the side and stares out into the view. Lights are out almost everywhere. The only light is the moon. She sits on the ground and continues to stare out the window. Eunha hugs her knees.

Mr. Lee is tossing and turning in bed. He sighs and sits up. Mr. Lee climbs out of bed and exits the room. When he walks to the living room, he sees Eunha sitting by the window. He ignores her and heads to the kitchen. There, he starts peeling himself an apple.

Eunha turns her head to Mr. Lee. She tries to ignore him and stares out the window again. 

As Mr. Lee is peeling the apple, he accidently hits the cut. He winces.

Eunha clutches onto her chest again. She takes a deep breath, and the pain goes away.

After Mr. Lee is done peeling the apple, he slices it up and puts them onto a plate. He grabs the plate and heads over to Eunha. He sits down a few feet away from her and shows her the plate.

“Want some,” he asks.

“No, thank you,” she replies.

He starts eating by himself.

“I thought you were going to sleep,” Eunha says. 

“I couldn’t sleep,” he replies. 

“Do you have insomnia?”

“I’m not diagnosed with it, but I do have trouble sleeping. An apple helps me fall asleep.”

“An apple? That’s weird. People usually drink warm milk.”

“I know right? Weirdly, an apple helps me sleep.”

“Any kind of apple?”

He nods his head.

“How long have you had chest pain,” Mr. Lee asks.

“I’ve never had chest pain,” she replies. “My first chest pain was last night.”

“The pain seems bad. You should go visit the hospital.”

“I will. Thank you for your concern.”

“Will your boyfriend be mad that you can’t go back to him tonight?”

“Boyfriend? I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“That man that is always with you isn’t your boyfriend?”

“Jaehyun?” Eunha chuckles. “No. We’re friends and co-workers. That’s all.”

“You two seem to be close.”

“We’re childhood friends.”

“Makes sense.”

“What about you? Do you have a girlfriend?”

“I do. Actually, she’s my fiance.”

“You have a fiance?”

“I do.”

“Well congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Mr. Lee yawns. “Well, I’m tired. Goodnight.”

“Once the power comes back on,” Eunha says. “I’ll leave.”

“I think you should stay here until morning. Leaving late at night is dangerous.”

“I shouldn’t stay here,” Eunha says. “You’re famous, and you have a fiance. If we get caught, I will be known as your mistress. I don’t want that name.”

“It’s better than you getting kidnapped. Let the press talk. I can use my power to shut them up anyway.”

“There you go again using your money.”

“I’m using it for good. If you’re tired, you can sleep on the couch. That’s the only other place I can have someone sleep.”

Mr. Lee stands up and walks away. 

Later that night, Mr. Lee is in deep sleep. 

“Get rid of the problem,” the majesty said annoyed.

The men pulled her away from Sangyeon and stabbed him in the abdomen.

“No,” she screamed.

The men dragged her to the majesty. She screamed and struggled to get away from them, but they won’t let her go. They handed her to the majesty, and he quickly pushed her into his carriage. 

Sangyeon was on the ground cupping his wound. Her mother was crying next to him.

“Sangyeon,” she shouted. “Sangyeon!”

Mr. Lee opens his eyes and sees light coming from the window. His body is filled with a cold sweat, and his heart is beating rapidly. He sits up and looks around. Mr. Lee sighs and climbs out of bed. When he goes to the living room, he doesn’t see Eunha, but instead, he sees a letter on the table.

“Thank you for letting me stay the night,” Eunha says. “I left at sunrise.”

 

Jaehyun is in Eunha’s room. He is showering her with questions and concerns, and she answers them all. 

“I’m really tired,” Eunha says. “I didn’t sleep at all last night.”

“Of course,” Jaehyun says. “Go to bed. I’ll be right here.”

“Thanks.”

“Look.” He looked past Eunha. “There’s an apple tree.”

Eunha turned around and looked up at the tree.

“You’re right,” she said.

“Want one,” he asked.

“How are we going to get it,” she asked.

“By climbing the tree,” he replied.

“You’re going to climb the tree?”

“Of course!”

He walked past her and started climbing the tree. 

Eunha followed him under the tree and looked up at him.

"Be careful," she told him.

He picked an apple. He smiled and looked down at Eunha.

"Throw it," she said. "I'll catch it."

"Be careful," he told her.

She nodded her head.

He dropped the apple, and she caught it.

"Got it," she exclaimed.

Eunha wakes up and stretches. She sits up and runs her fingers through her hair.

“What a weird dream,” she says. She lies down and heads to dream land again.

Jaehyun and Eunha head back to Seoul and start working right away. 

One day, Boss pulls Eunha to the side and tells her about a new assignment.

“Scent is doing a documentary, and they want you as their photographer,” Boss says. “Are you willing to work for them?”

“Scent wants me to work for them,” Eunha asks.

“Yes.”

“Did they say for how long?”

“It’ll take about two months to shoot everything. Maybe three months to edit everything, and another month to get everything released. That’s if everything goes smoothly. What do you say?”

“Let me talk to Scent first.”

 

Eunha knocks on Mr. Lee’s door.

“Come in,” he says. 

Eunha walks into the room.

“What brings you here,” Mr. Lee asks.

“I heard you want me to be part of your documentary,” Eunha says. “Why?”

“Because I like your pictures. I like the way you take your pictures,” he answers.

“Aren't there other photographers you like?”

“There are, but there’s something about you that makes me like you more. I won’t pay you double. I’ll pay you the normal rate.”

Eunha snickers. 

“Why don’t you want to work for Scent,” Mr. Lee asks. “Because of me?”

“You’re the main reason,” Eunha says. 

“I like your honesty.”

“Okay,” Eunha says after some thought. “I’ll take the offer.”

Mr. Lee stands up.

“Welcome aboard,” he says. 

He extends his hand over to her, and she takes it. When they touch, the feeling seems so familiar to the both of them, but they don’t say anything.

Eunha leaves the office and heads to the hospital.

“Doctor,” Eunha says. “As you know, I’ve never had any heart problems, but a few weeks ago, I went to Jeju and started feeling my heart hurting.”

“How so,” her doctor asks.

“It was like a sharp piercing pain in my heart.”

“And you’ve never experienced this before?”

“No.”

“How did it start?”

“It was at night. I was drinking a glass of water, and suddenly, my heart started to hurt.”

“We can do some tests,” her doctor says. “To see if there’s anything wrong internally.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

 

After a few days, Eunha gets the test results back and everything turns out to be negative. 

“That’s a relief,” Eunha talks to herself.

She grabs her purse and phone ready to head out, but suddenly, her phone rings.

“Hey,” she greets.

“Hey,” Jaehyun greets back. “Are you busy today?”

“Yeah. Do you need something?”

“Oh.” He sounds disappointed. “I just wanted to hang out.”

“Sorry. I have to work on that documentary for Scent.”

“Right. Should I take you there?”

“No. It’s okay. It’s your day off. Rest well. I’ll see you tonight for dinner instead.”

“Sure,” he says. “I’ll have dinner ready by the time you come home.”

“Sounds good!”

They hang up, and Eunha heads out.