Ch. 1

See You Again

[Past]

 

Eunha’s mother is outside hanging some clothes on the clothesline. As she is doing so, she hears someone calling for her. She turns her head and sees Sangyeon greeting her.

“Is Eunha home,” he asks.

She nods her head. “She’s inside. Come on in.”

“Thank you, mother.”

Sangyeon enters the house and immediately sees Eunha making lunch. He walks over to her and leans over her shoulder.

“Mmm,” he hums. “It smells nice.”

Eunha turns around. When she sees Sangyeon in front of her, she smiles widely. 

“You’re here,” she cheers. 

Sangyeon pulls her into a hug.

“Did you eat yet,” Eunha asks as they break the hug. 

He shakes his head.

“Lunch is almost ready,” she tells him. 

Eunha turns around and stirs the pot. 

Sangyeon stays behind her and watches her cook. 

After they eat, Eunha and Sangyeon clean up the kitchen. 

“Mom,” Eunha says. “Sangyeon and I are going to go out.”

“Sure,” her mother says. “Don’t come back too late.”

“I’ll make sure to bring her back before sunset,” Sangyeon replies. 

Eunha and Sangyeon exit the house. They are walking hand in hand on the dirt road. The sun is blazing, and the sky is bright blue. 

“What do you want to do today,” Sangyeon asks.

“Let’s go to the market,” Eunha says. “I have some things I want to buy.”

“Sure,” he says.

They walk into the crowded market. The two of them head straight to a beauty shop.

“Hello, Ms. So,” Eunha greets happily.

“Eunha,” Ms. So greets. “Sangyeon is here too!”

Sangyeon greets Ms. So. 

“Ms. So,” Eunha says. “Do you have the new comb?”

“Of course,” Ms. So exclaims. “I’ve been waiting for you to come.” She reaches into her bag and pulls out a small brown comb. Ms. So hands the comb to Eunha.

Eunha accepts the comb and looks at the comb in awe. “It’s perfect,” Eunha says. “How much do I owe you?”

Eunha exchanges money for the comb.

“Thank you so much, Ms. So,” Eunha says.

“No problem,” Ms. So replies. “Is there anything else I can get you two? Perhaps a wedding ring?”

Eunha blushes while Sangyeon is smiling. 

“Perhaps another day,” Sangyeon replies. “Thank you, Ms. So.”

The two of them leave the store. 

Sangyeon is walking behind Eunha. She is still blushing. 

“Why did you buy the comb,” Sangyeon asks to distract Eunha. 

“Mother’s comb is old. The teeth on the comb are breaking, so I thought I’d buy her one.” Eunha carefully wraps the comb and puts the comb into her bag. 

“Before I take you back,” Sangyeon says. “Let me show you a place I recently found.”

Eunha nods her head. 

Sangyeon interlocks their hands together and leads her to the place. When Eunha lays eyes on the place, she immediately awes. The place is in the forest. Alongside the dirt road are colorful flowers. When Sangyeon and Eunha stop, a small pond is in front of them. The water is so clear that they can see the fish swimming around.

“Wow,” Eunha awes. She squats down and dips her fingers into the pond. “The water is refreshing,” she says. She turns her head and looks up at Sangyeon. “This place is amazing!”

Sangyeon squats down beside her. “I knew you’d like it,” he says. “I found this place the other day when I was searching for flowers.”

“So, your mother can make perfume,” Eunha asks.

He nods his head. 

“Why don’t we pick some for her,” Eunha says. “Does she need more?”

“She has plenty,” Sangyeon says. “Next time when I go out, I’ll take you.”

Eunha sits down and starts rocking to the wind. 

“This place is so peaceful,” Eunha says. 

Sangyeon joins her on the ground. 

“Eunha,” Sangyeon calls. 

“Hmm,” she asks.

Eunha turns her head to look at him. 

“We’ve been together for eight years,” he says. “I love you, and I will continue to love you. On days that I can’t meet you, I miss you like crazy. I’m worried about you. Is she eating well? Did she sleep well? Those questions linger in my mind, so I decided that I don’t want to worry about that anymore. I no longer want to wait for days to get an answer. I want to get an answer right away, so Eunha.” He reaches into his bag and pulls out a ring. “Will you marry me?”

Eunha’s face lights up. Her eyes well up with tears. She nods her head. “Yes,” she replies. “Yes!”

Sangyeon smiles happily. He puts the ring into her finger. 

Eunha cries in joy.

He pulls her in for a hug, and she hugs him back. 

“This is the happiest moment of my life,” Sangyeon says.

“Me too,” she replies. 

He breaks the hug and wipes her tears. 

“We’ll have to tell mother right away,” he says.

Eunha nods her head. She sniffles and calms down.

“Should we get going,” she asks.

He nods his head.

On the way back home, Eunha and Sangyeon have their hands interlocked together. They can feel their hearts beating, and the two of them can’t stop smiling. 

When Sangyeon brings Eunha back, the two of them break the news to her mother, and her mother can’t help but be happy for them. 

Later that night, Eunha goes into her mother’s room and gives her the comb. 

“Since yours is old,” Eunha says. “I asked Ms. So to make you a new one.”

Her mother is touched. “You didn’t have to,” her mother says.

She hugs her mother. “It’s okay,” she tells her mother. “I’m going to leave soon. I have to give you anything that I can.”

Her mother breaks the hug. “Let me tell you one thing about marriage,” her mother says. “You two are in love right now. Everything seems fine, but down the road, you two will get into arguments. No matter how ugly and awful the arguments get, just remember the reason why you two got married, and that’s because you two love each other. You two are promising each other to go through thick and thin together, so no matter how hard it gets, promise me you two will not separate.”

“I promise, mother. I will never forget the reason why I’m marrying him.”

The next day, Sangyeon and Eunha are out again. The two of them are fetching water down at the well. On the way back, Sangyeon is carrying the cags. 

“Aren’t they heavy,” Eunha asks. “Let me carry one.”

“It’s okay,” Sangyeon says. “I’m fine.”

“Should we rest for a while?”

“No. Mother needs water.”

“It’s okay. She doesn’t need water right away.”

Sangyeon puts the cags down and wipes his sweat with the back of his hand.

Eunha helps him. 

“You must be tired,” Eunha says.

“I’m okay,” he says. “Look.” He looks past Eunha. “There’s an apple tree.”

Eunha turns around and looks up at the tree.

“You’re right,” she says.

“Want one,” he asks.

“How are we going to get it,” she asks.

“By climbing the tree,” he replies.

“You’re going to climb the tree?”

“Of course!”

He walks past her and starts climbing the tree. 

Eunha follows him under the tree and looks up at him.

"Be careful," she tells him.

Sangyeon picks an apple. He smiles and looks down at Eunha.

"Throw it," she says. "I'll catch it."

"Be careful," he tells her.

She nods her head.

He drops the apple, and she catches it.

"Got it," she exclaims.

Sangyeon grabs another one. He drops it, and Eunha catches it. They continue to do that until Eunha has a handful.

"Come down," she says. "We have enough for our families."

Sangyeon carefully climbs down the tree. When he reaches the ground, he helps her carry some. 

"I'll carry these," she says. "You have the cags."

"Sure," he says.

The two of them walk to her house. As they do so, they see many men riding horses down the dirt road. 

"Mother," Eunha says. "What are those men doing here?"

"The King from the east is here to look for a bride," her mother replies. "One lucky woman will be his wife by tomorrow."

"Ahh."

"Mother," Sangyeon says. "I've been talking to Eunha, and we want you to move in with us when we get married. We don't want you to stay here by yourself."

"I'm happy you want me to move in with you," her mother says. "But I'm going to continue to stay here. Your father is here. I don't want him to be alone."

"If you change your mind, mother, you can come to us anytime."

"Thank you."

Eunha walks Sangyeon outside. "Go back safely," Eunha says. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Sangyeon nods his head and starts walking away.

When Eunha is about to walk back inside, she is stopped by a voice. Eunha turns around and sees a man stepping out of a carriage.

"What is your name," the man asks.

Eunha looks around. Then, she points to herself.

"Yes you," the man says.

"Kang Eunha," Eunha replies. 

"Eunha," the man repeats. "I have chosen you to be my bride. I'll come back tomorrow at sunrise to fetch you."

"Excuse me," Eunha asks. 

"I have chosen you to be my bride," the man repeats. "I'll come back tomorrow at sunrise to fetch you."

"But why me?"

"Because I like you."

"But we just met. How do you know if I'll be a good bride?"

"It doesn't matter if you won't be a good bride. All what matters are I saw you, and I like you."

Eunha's mother comes out from the house.

"What's going on," her mother asks.

"This must be your mother," the man says. "I have fallen in love with your daughter. Tomorrow, I will be back at sunrise to fetch her."

"My daughter? Your majesty, thank you for your generosity, but my daughter is already betrothed."

"Call off the engagement," the majesty commands. "I'll be the one marrying her."

"I can't be a good wife to you," Eunha says. "How can you love someone you just met?"

"It doesn't matter if you can't be a good wife. I have many servants who will train you to be the perfect wife for me."

Eunha shakes her head. "I don't love you. With all due respect, your majesty, I will not marry you."

The majesty holds in his anger.

"All that matters are that I love you," the majesty says. "Be ready by sunrise tomorrow."

The majesty climbs onto his carriage, and his man rides away.

Eunha turns to her mother worried.

"Mother," Eunha says. "What am I going to do? Sangyeon." She sighs.

"Go after Sangyeon," her mother commands. "You have to tell him what just happened. He only lives over that hill."

Eunha nods her head. She starts running after Sangyeon. After what feels like forever, she finally sees him walking.

"Sangyeon," she calls. "Sangyeon!"

He turns around and looks at her surprised. 

"Eunha," he asks. He runs over to her and catches her before she falls. "What's wrong," he asks.

Eunha gasps for air. 

"I." She gasps. "I need. To tell. You. Something."

"Catch your breath first," Sangyeon says. "Let's sit."

She shakes her head.

"I have to tell you," she says.

She finally catches her breath.

"Tell me what," he asks.

"The king," Eunha says. "The king wants me to marry him tomorrow."

"What," Sangyeon asks. His heart drops.

"Mother and I rejected him, but he said he's going to come anyway. I'm afraid. I don't want to marry him." She holds her tears back. 

Sangyeon pulls her in for a hug. "Don't worry," he says. "I will never let him get you." 

"What should we do," Eunha asks.

"Let's go home," Sangyeon says. "I'm going to tell my parents. Then, we'll go back to your house and meet with the king tomorrow morning. I'll do anything it takes for him to not take you."

She tightens the hug.

"Okay," she says.

That night, Eunha is in her mother’s room staring out the window. She can’t sleep.

Sangyeon is in her room tossing in bed. He sits up and exits the room. 

Eunha hears him and decides to exit the bedroom. She sees Sangyeon in the living room sitting next to the little table. He has his fingers interlocked, and he is deep in thought. Eunha joins him. She places her hand on top of his.

He turns his head to face her. 

“I’m also scared,” Eunha says. 

Sangyeon takes her hands into his.

“I’ll do whatever it takes,” Sangyeon says. “We will get married. We will be together. I don’t even want to think of you marrying him or another guy.”

“I will never marry anyone else other than you.”

Sangyeon pulls her in for a hug. 

“I don’t think I can sleep tonight,” Sangyeon says. 

“Me too,” she replies.