Girlfriend Day Pt.1

Everyday's A Holiday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm so stupid!!!"

Byul just came in the office at fifteen minutes past 8am with an armful of long-stemmed red roses and a coffee carry tray with two warm drinks.

Yongsun looks up from her desk at Byul with a questioning look.

"Wait....Did you just find that out? Byul.... you've always been stupid."

Byul rolls her eyes at Yongsun while putting all her stuff down at her desk. She hands Yongsun one of the roses and a cup of hot chocolate. Yongsun laughs at Byul's miserable face, making the latter smile a bit.

"Good morning, Miss Solar," Byul gives in with a sigh to her workmate's usual playful banter.

"Happy Girlfriend's Day, Byul. Sweet as always," Yongsun says and takes a sip of her hot chocolate. "Now tell me why you're stupid before the other women in whole damn place claim you."
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

Non! Rien de rien...
Non! Je ne regrette rien...

It's August 1.

Byul wakes up with a fright to Edith Piaf's Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien playing loudly as her alarm. Contrary to the first two lines of the song, she thinks to herself that maybe she should regret some things.

When she set this song as her alarm, the dork in her said, "This is how they wake themselves up in Inception! If this is my alarm, I definitely know I'm not in the dream world!"

Maybe she should stop using movie references to live her life. She wills herself to stand up and start getting ready to leave the house very early.

Byul works at a calendar company. She knows it's not as y as it sounds, but it's really fun work. Her team is in charge of random weird holidays and it gets interesting depends on what day it is. They write about what day it is and how it is observed and celebrated.

The office was at absolute chaos last January 22 for "Answer Your Cat's Questions Day" because Wheein brought her cat and kept insisting that Ggomo really does have a lot of questions. Although Byul doubts the cat can be curious about how the printer works, she let Wheein instruct Ggomo how to change the paper tray.

Byul bought pizza and apple pie to everyone's delight last March 14 for "Pi Day" and had a quick contest on who can say the longest value for π. Byul could only do 3.14159. Hyejin was worse only knowing 3.14. Wheein unsurprisingly won that contest.

It was Hyejin's favorite day last April 16 because it was "Wear Pajamas to Work Day" and she did not at all give a damn. Yongsun even had a runway show for her pajamas although no one asked her to.

Today though is National Girlfriends Day.

Since she's single and does not have a girlfriend to celebrate today with, she decided to be the office girlfriend and hand out some roses to people. She did the same thing and gave chocolates last Valentines which, not to her intention, resulted to an increase of women giving her their numbers. The numbers were later acquired by Seulgi with a promise of treating her to some barbecue and beer after work.

So this morning, Byul is at the local farmer's market at 7:30 a.m. for some fresh roses to give to all the women at work.

After buying the roses, she decided to pass by the nearest Starbucks to get herself a cup of coffee and maybe a hot chocolate for her seatmate who is always craving for some. She's standing on queue when the woman in front of her suddenly turns her head to look at the sandwich display at Byul's side.

Byul almost lost her balance and almost dropping her roses, taken aback by the woman she is seeing right now. She wonders if she is a celebrity somehow lost in a city where you don't necessarily find celebrities.

She is probably the most breathtakingly beautiful girl Byul has ever seen in her life. How is it possible that the most gorgeous woman in this world is just casually picking between an Everything Bagel and Blueberry Bagel in front of her? What's so funny about butter croissants that she's smiling at them?? Byul tries to calm herself while she stares at the girl.

After a minute, which seemed like ten minutes to Byul, the girl again focuses herself in front of the queue and smiles at the barista who greets her a good morning. Byul had to smirk when the other register opens up - prompting herself to move her feet to stand beside Miss Gorgeous. She greets the barista and orders her coffee and hot chocolate while stealing glances at Miss Gorgeous who seems to be ordering every sandwich and bagel the store has.
 


She wonders if someone at work is allergic to blueberry. Should she just get the plain bagel? Everything Bagel? Grain Vegan Bagel? Maybe she should just get everything? Oh, people like sandwiches better right? This is why she can't be left alone when buying something.

While looking at her options, Irene notices the woman behind her in queue. The woman is wearing a black button-up shirt with rolled sleeves showing a simple tattoo written in what looks to be French on her left arm and holding a bunch of long-stemmed roses in her right arm. Irene felt her cheeks warming up as she smiles, wondering what the tattoo meant.

"Shame," she mumbles to herself.

What a shame because she's cute, Irene thoughts. She must have a girlfriend to give roses to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter