Chapter 8

Am I not the One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haven comes down for breakfast to see that both her parents were glued to the TV.

“What’s going on?”

Her dad just sighed and shook his head so she looked to her mother.

He mother tutted. “There are families that are voicing their unhappiness about the matches and also criticizing the ranking system.”

Every year, without fail that at the end of the matches because of the many people had not been chosen or had chosen wrong and ended up unattached. Their ranks would drop as a result. There are more people are always more people who end up unattached than the system’s official report. This typically affects the middle classes the most but somehow, the lower class numbers always seem unchanged. There had always been a lot of dissatisfaction but no one has ever publically voice them, until now

“Their ranks are going to drop.”

“The system is not going to let them get off easy.” Haven nodded sadly.

“It’s not safe out there anymore. I heard from the aunty down the road the some of the unattached people have started attacking government official. The police are on edge.”

Haven nods, she had noticed an increase in police for the past few days but did not think much about it until now.

The three of them continued to watch a mother cries and is clearly very distress about the situation with her child when suddenly she clutched her chest, her face became pale and she collapse on TV. Chaos erupted. The Police just arrived on scene and started arresting people who there. In the midst of the chaos, Haven noticed something that made her skin scrawl. On the notifier on wrist of the mother who was now being taken away by an ambulance, in dark black, was a 0.

Haven tried to shake off what she just saw. She looked down to her own notifier, still glowing a 50. She’s had only heard of a 0 in stories. The systems always claimed that it was just and urban legend, that there was ranking system would give you a percentile from 10 to 90. Maybe she saw wrong?

There was an eerie sense of stillness in the town. Everyone was quiet, only whispering if needed. Everyone was on edge, regardless of what Haven thinks she saw, everyone knew things were not the same as they were this morning. Even campus missed the liveliness that was usually there. She was headed to class, when she is pulled into one of the corners of the gardens behind the trees. “Hey!” She yelled.

“It’s just me.” JInyoung says.

“What are you doing? Aren’t you going to class?”
Jinyoung shakes his head, “Not today, not actually for a while. I have things I need to do. I just wanted to tell you before I go”

“Will you be gone for long?”

“I’m not sure. I’m sorry, I can’t tell you much. I need to leave pretty soon.”
“Ok. Just stay safe ok?”

Jinyoung smiles, “You too.” He says giving her hand a hard squeeze before leaving.

The day passes quietly, too quietly, no one spoke about this morning, but the evidence of the morning s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter