Daffodil Boy

Lovingly Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] 001 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Daffodil Boy [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]Spring was on the tip of her nose, figuratively and literally.

 

While decorating the inside of the display window with numerous flowers, Eunseo bent down to smell them, admiring their perfume-like scent that never failed to make her feel excited for the season. Amidst admiring them, Eunseo looked out the window in hopes for the delivery of flowers to come by as it was already a few minutes past noon, the time it would normally come by. 

 

“I’m going to wait outside for the delivery,” Eunseo announced to her mother, who nodded as she was busy preparing an order for a customer.

 

Dusting her hands onto her apron, Eunseo pushed the door open and crouched by the display window. There was yet any sign of him nor the sound of his scooter and as she waited, she observed the flowers outside. No later than a few minutes, the sound of a scooter came upon her ears. With a smile, Eunseo stood up as Jongin came to view from down the street.

 

As Jongin came to a stop in front of her, he shut off the engine and parked the vehicle before taking off his helmet. 

 

“This is rare, you’re waiting outside… Missed me,” he questioned with a smile.

 

“Not really, you were late… a tad bit,” Eunseo answered, nearly pinching the air with her thumb and index finger. “But I won’t condemn you for it,” she assured.

 

Jongin chuckled before exhaling in relief in an exaggerated manner. “So I’ve been spared from Na Eunseo’s wrath this time.” He crossed his arms and continued, “But I really apologize, I got caught in traffic - which was weird at this time of day - as I was on my way here.”

 

“It’s alright, I just got a little worried,” she replied. 

 

“No need to worry now.” Jongin paused before continuing, “Say, you’ve heard the news that Mrs. Byun’s grandson is moving in with her, right,” Jongin asked. 

 

“Yeah,” Eunseo nodded. 

 

Nearly a week ago, the elderly woman told Eunseo’s mother after she received a call from one of her grandsons. The sudden call and news pretty much shocked her, for years she hasn't met him in person. But yet the shocking news made Mrs. Byun smile like there was no tomorrow. 

 

“Don’t you think that’s a bit weird? I mean, your grandson that hasn’t visited you for years just spontaneously wants to move in with you,” Jongin said, “Maybe he didn’t have anywhere to go but I’m not going to assume his whole life from what I’ve heard,” he shrugged.

 

“I don’t know, it does sound bizarre,” Eunseo sighed. “Apparently, he’s arriving today in the evening. And if he is, my mother and I will visit them the following morning just to welcome him and stuff.”

 

“Oh really, that’s so nice.” Jongin glanced down at his watch, his eyes widened soon after. “I have to go back soon.” Jongin got off of his scooter to unload the cardboard box strapped to the back of it. “Let me know how that goes when we see each other next time, hm?”

 

“Oh, of course.” Eunseo rushed over to the door and held it open as Jongin walked into the shop and instantly greeted her mother.

 

“Good afternoon, Jongin,” her mother beamed at his presence. 

 

“Good afternoon noon! The usual place, Ms. Na,” Jongin asked, turning to the older woman. 

 

“You know the drill,” she smiled as Jongin placed the box on the counter and dusted his hands together. “Are you leaving already?”

 

“Yeah, I have to get back. And I don’t know if traffic will be kind to me today.”

 

“Oh dear, then hurry on,” her mother responded with concern. “Goodbye!”

 

“Bye, Ms. Na, I’ll see you next time,” Jongin waved before exiting out of the shop.

 

As Eunseo stood outside, Jongin sat on his scooter and strapped on his helmet as he started the engine. Before he drove away, he turned to her and gave a warm smile.

 

“I’ll see you around, Eunseo.”

 

“I’ll see you too, Jongin. Don’t get in trouble with your superiors.”

 

“I hope not,” he chuckled. “If I have to go over the speed limit, I will. Until then.” Jongin raised his hand and waved before driving off down the street.

 

After his figure disappeared, Eunseo entered back into the shop. Her mother was going through the flowers in the box, taking out each one of them individually, surveying their conditions. With every flower, she either gave a satisfied nod or frowned before tossing them aside for disposal.

 

“How are those coming along,” Eunseo asked as she leaned against the counter and watched her mother. “Do you need any help?”

 

“Not really,” her mother replied. She held a daffodil in her hand and surveyed it before handing it over to Eunseo. “Do you think this would be good to give Mrs. Byun’s grandson?”

 

Eunseo held the flower in her hand and observed its traits. Its petals were entirely yellow and overall looked cute for the season. 

 

“It looks nice, does it have any meaning?” Eunseo handed the flower back to her mother who laid it apart from the rest of the flowers. 

 

“Rebirth and new beginnings, and it’s one of the earliest flowers to bloom in spring.”

 

Wherever her grandson came from, moving into the area would be a way of starting from the beginning somewhat. 

 

“It’s perfect,” Eunseo commented. “Are you going to pair it with anything else?”

 

“I figure not,” her mother shook her head. “I don’t want it to look too much for him.”

 

The bells from the front door rang, prompting for Eunseo to move away from the counter for the customer. Grabbing the nearest watering pot, she watered the flowers nearby and as always, her mind drifted away to a world she would lose herself into.

 

-

 

After having dinner, Eunseo sat by the coffee table with her back resting on the couch. Holding the tablet in her hand, she drew while glancing back at the client’s email of their commission mentally noting certain things in her head as her hand glided across the screen. Eunseo’s mother busily formed the bouquet beside her, deciding where every daffodil should be placed.

 

“Have you met Mrs. Byun’s grandson before,” Eunseo asked, breaking the silence. “The one that’s moving here.”

 

“Of course, but that was over twenty- maybe twenty-four years ago. I hardly remember much about the kid.”

 

Eunseo raised a brow in interest. “He used to be here?”

 

“Yeah, he was born here,” her mother said. “You played with him numerous times, when you both were small.”

 

Eunseo paused hearing that last sentence in disbelief. “We did?”

 

Her mother nodded as she finished setting up the bouquet. “You both were so young, probably three or four years old. I don’t think you’ll even remember that time.”

 

Eunseo tried to recall memories from those ages, hardly any image could appear. “I can confirm that I can’t.”

 

Her mother chuckled and patted Eunseo’s head affectionately. “You never fail to amuse me.”

 

There was a sound of a car pulling in from the front of their home. The pair glanced at each other, no words were needed to convey their thoughts. Getting up from the floor, they rushed to the window that looked to Mrs. Byun’s residence across the street.

 

As their intuition was correct, it was in fact Mrs. Byun’s grandson that had arrived. There was still some sunlight to make out a male figure emerging from the vehicle that was parked in the lot by Mrs. Byun’s home. Eunseo noticed the vehicle looked awfully expensive and fancy. With its sleek, black exterior color, it screamed money.

 

“That car looks so expensive,” Eunseo commented. “He must’ve come from Seoul or one of the big cities.”

 

“Perhaps,” her mother responded.

 

Mrs. Byun opened her front door and immediately hugged her grandson. A smile grew on Eu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter