Heartless One

Lovingly Made
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] 012. [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Heartless One [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3]

Her reflection showed no emotion as she stared at the items behind the glass; a picture frame, tiny figurines, a small book, a watch resting on top of the novel, and the urn. Unlike the others, it was missing an integral piece, and she was holding it.

 

The wrapping paper of the bouquet crinkled in Eunseo’s tightened hand as she stood in the columbarium, staring at the niche in front of her. The portrait of her father stared at her back with the same lack of emotion. Glancing down at the bouquet that simply consisted of lilies, she then placed it in the flower holder for her father.

 

It had been five years since he had passed away due to colon cancer. While it was devastating to have her own father pass away in such an unfortunate outcome, she couldn’t help but find relief from his disappearance. Had she felt guilty from this before? Of course, she always questioned her own thoughts on why she would be relieved from the death of a loved one. Yet no matter how much she wanted to suppress joy among grief, she just couldn’t. 

 

“I hope you’re doing well,” Eunseo began as she stared at her father’s portrait as if it could converse back. “Mom and I are doing pretty well down here.”

 

Silence resonated in the empty room. She continued, “I met someone. It’s um, Mrs. Byun’s grandson. His name is Baekhyun, you probably know him like mom does.” A smile grew on Eunseo’s face as she mentioned Baekhyun’s name and his face appeared in her mind. “He’s a great person. I cherish him… a lot. But he doesn’t know that,” her smile then dropped, “He probably doesn’t want to know that.”

 

Knowing Baekhyun’s perspective on love, it would be difficult to keep her feelings unknown to him once time passes. It would be wasteful to let it fade away without telling him, especially with how things came to be. And he would be leaving for his tour in at least a month, which meant having to shut in her own feelings for at least ten months. It would be near agonizing. But if she confessed any time soon, it would hurt even more if he rejects her. 

 

Eunseo sighed as she hugged herself. There wasn’t much to say anymore and the somber feeling of the room only reinforced her need to leave. “I should go now, I’ll see you next time.” 

 

Taking one last look at her father’s portrait, she forced a smile before walking out of the room and outside the building where everything was much brighter and vibrant in contrast to the columbarium. 

 

Eunseo’s phone buzzed in her pocket, taking it out to see what it was, she smiled at the sight of Baekhyun’s name on her lockscreen.


 

Baekhyun:

Where are you?

Eunseo: 

I just finished some errands. Is there anything?

 

Baekhyun:

My grandmother wanted to see you, after I told her about yesterday

 

Eunseo:

Oh RIGHT! I’ll be on my way then! About 40 min


 

Shoving her phone back into her pocket, she quickly made her way to the nearest bus stop. 

 

-

 

The bakery had only been open for an hour so it wasn’t extremely busy. Through the display windows, Eunseo watched Mrs. Byun busily preparing pastries for the day with other employees. Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen. Pushing the door open, Eunseo greeted with a ‘hello’ loud enough to get the elderly woman’s attention. 

 

“Eunseo-ah, how lovely is it seeing you,” Mrs. Byun exclaimed as she walked out from behind the counter and went to pull her in for a tight hug, allowing her to experience warmth and the smell of sweet pastries from her clothing. As she broke the hug, her fingers made their way to Eunseo’s bangs. “You did something to your bangs, it looks beautiful on you!”

 

“Thank you, Ms. Byun,” Eunseo smiled. “How are you doing these days?”

 

“Doing the same as usual, making desserts and pastries. But now I have Baekhyun here, who bothers me so often,” Mrs. Byun answered with a sigh. “Speaking of Baekhyun, how was your trip to Seoul with him?”

 

Baekhyun must’ve told her about their trip like he did with Jongin. 

 

“Oh, it was wonderful,” Eunseo replied, “It was just so fun.”

 

“That’s good,” Mrs. Byun nodded. “I was quite surprised when Baekhyun came home and told me that you both were suddenly going to Seoul.”

 

“Yeah, my mom was surprised at the suddenness as well.”

 

Mrs. Byun drew in her breath before saying, “You know, he never did anything like that for anyone.”

 

A grin settled upon Eunseo’s face, “Really?”

 

So she was the only one that Baekhyun had done this much for. Hearing those words made her heart skip a beat, like she was special in some way for him. 

 

“Of course, I was quite shocked myself. You two must be so close, like this.” She crossed her two fingers together. Her eyes then trailed past Eunseo and lit up from whatever was behind her. “Oh, he’s here!”

 

Immediately, Eunseo whipped her head toward the bakery’s entrance just as Baekhyun stepped in with bags in his hands. A smile grew on her face as he smiled at her presence.

 

“You came here earlier than I thought,” Baekhyun commented as he walked closer. 

 

“It seemed pretty urgent, I didn’t want your grandmother to be kept waiting.”

 

“She’s right, Baekhyun.”

 

“Sorry for making you rush,” Baekhyun’s smile dropped into a worried look as he walked around the counter then placing the bags in the back before walking back out. “That wasn’t my intention whatsoever.”

 

“No, it’s okay,” Eunseo waved her hands in assurance. “I didn’t feel any sense of rushing. I just got excited to go and see her.”

 

Baekhyun’s shoulders seemed to have relaxed. “That’s good. I was worried about that.”

 

Mrs. Byun clapped her hands together. “Well, now that you’re both here, I might need some help with this place. Can you two help out for a bit?”

 

“Yes,” Eunseo and Baekhyun answered in unison. Then turning into each other, they both smiled before following Mrs. Byun to the back.

 

-

 

After spending nearly the entire day at Mrs. Byun’s bakery, Baekhyun offered to drive her home. Of course, Eunseo accepted. She would’ve been crazy if she declined. 

 

The car ride from the bakery to home was splendid. They continued talking, cracked some jokes, and listened to music from his car radio. Maybe after being aware of how she felt, it seemed like every simple experience with Baekhyun became a thousand times more enjoyable. 

 

As they were near home, Eunseo recalled that moment when she was in the columbarium with how she said she cherished Baekhyun with the possibility of him not wanting to know that. She wondered that if in her case, it would be different with them being close friends and all.

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Yeah, what is it,” Baekhyun asked as he pulled into the parking space near his home. 

 

As he shut the engine down of the car, it was silent as he waited for her question. His eyes bore into her as she thought that maybe this wasn’t a good idea. But it was too late to back out and she was curious.

 

Eunseo drew in a line and bit her lip before asking, “If someone who was close to you told you that they liked you, how would you react?” She then glanced at Baekhyun for his reaction.

 

He was silent before giving her a bewildered look, “How come you’re asking me this?”

 

A nervous chuckle escaped from her lips, “N-No reason… I’m just curious.”

 

Baekhyun leaned back in his seat and contemplated before answering with, “I’d just say ‘no’ and tell them to move on.”

 

And just like that, her hopes slowly broke down. So this is what would happen if she confessed. Eunseo sank in her seat as she looked down to her hands on her lap that started fidgeting with her sleeves. “That’s it?”

 

Baekhyun nodded, oblivious to her reaction, “Yeah, that’s it.” He then seemed to have noticed her change in attitude as his tone was now on the edge of concern. “What is it?”

 

Eunseo looked up from her lap and toward him, “H-How could you be so heartless?”

 

It seemed like Baekhyun was taken aback by her question. Narrowing his eyes, he then leaned in towards her. “Excuse me?”

 

Eunseo sighed before repeating it louder, “How could you be so heartless?”

 

“What’s so heartless about that?”

 

“That you’d just tell them to simply move on when they probably had to muster up some courage to confess to you.”

 

For her, she would’ve put so much thought of so many ways to confess. Not only how, but when. Confessing was terrifying. And to only be rejected so coldly was worse.

 

“I wouldn’t even like them in that way. And if that person was close to me like you said, they would already know how the outcome will be.” Baekhyun then continued as he glanced down at his steering wheel, “You shouldn’t be surprised by my answer and why I would reject them.”

 

Of course, she shouldn't have been surprised by his answer. Yet she had some hope that there was some change or some exception from him. 

 

Eunseo replied, “All because you hate love?”

 

Baekhyun let out a small scoff like it was so obvious, “What else would it be?”

 

Her arms then crossed over her chest, “I-I just don’t understand why you’re like this at all.” She sighed before turning to Baekhyun. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter