one.

What It Means to be Me

Growing pains had hit the young pups hard, harder than most. 

On the surface, things seemed similar, the now teens sitting around and chatting after school. They were still friends.

But things were infinitely different. 

"Where are you guys headed?" Jaemin asked Chenle and Jisung as they started walking down the path, hand in hand. 

Chenle turned around. "Just home," he explained, and he and Jisung came back to talk. Jisung leaned against a tree and Chenle leaned on Jisung, Jisung's arm wrapped protectively around Chenle's waist.

"Still waiting?" Donghyuck teased, smirking at the couple.

"We're seventeen now! I have to get a heat soon!" Chenle whined. 

"It's been so long," Jisung groaned lowly. Both Chenle and Jisung had presented as everyone had assumed they would as children: Chenle as the omega, and Jisung as the alpha. Now they were just waiting for when they could officially mate, like they'd planned since they were kids, but Chenle had to have a heat for that to happen. 

"Poor Renjun," Donghyuck answered. 

"Yeah, you guys are always at Yuta and Sicheng's house," Jaemin added. 

"Come on. I have five brothers and sisters; we can't be at my place," Jisung rebutted. 

"But what happens when you do go into heat and Renjun's in the house with you guys?" Donghyuck asked. 

Chenle shrugged. " to be him." 

"You're an !" Jaemin cried and Jisung poked Chenle's ribcage, but Chenle just rolled his eyes. Donghyuck chuckled at the couples antics.

"Speaking of, where is he?" Jisung asked. 

"I dunno...he kinda just ran home once class ended..." Jaemin worriedly answered. 

Chenle sighed and looked down at the ground; nobody would know about this better than Renjun's twin Chenle.

"He still hasn't presented?" Donghyuck asked quietly, everyone staring at Chenle. He nodded quickly at the dirt floor, and all of them grimaced; the rest of the pups their age had presented at least a year or two before. 

"I mean anyone can smell that his scent is different. Not absent, fainter but not absent. It's just different, really, just different," Chenle explained. "He's just..." he sighed again. "He kinda just wants to be left alone." They were silent in thought for a moment before Jisung squeezed Chenle's hand. The two boys shared a look, talking without speaking.

"Alright; I think we'll head out now," Chenle said. It was obvious he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Tell Renjun we miss him," Jaemin answered. 

"Will do!" Chenle called back, putting on a happy face as he and Jisung went back home. 

And they left, and the group of friends became as it usually was these days: just Jaemin and Donghyuck. 

"What are you up to now?" Jaemin asked. 

"Jack ," Donghyuck answered and scoffed. "I was gonna go try to hunt..." 

Donghyuck was interrupted by a loud group of alphas their age, all too familiar to Jaemin and Donghyuck at this point, walking towards them. Donghyuck held back a growl and positioned himself in front of Jaemin, understanding why his friend had asked in the first place; how could Jaemin leave his side in the face of this? 

" it's Jaemin!" One of the kids cried. "Wonder how our Head Alpha feels about his son being Lee Donghyuck's omega?" 

"Shut the up," Donghyuck growled, Jaemin wincing at his tone of voice. 

None of the alphas answered him. "The pack disappointment. I mean, at least he's pretty." 

Donghyuck made a move to lunge forward but Jaemin tugged on his wrist. 

"Come on, Hyuck, let's just go." 

Donghyuck took a deep breath, in and out, before releasing the tension in his body. 

"Fine," he shakily answered, and with a last glare to the alphas they ran off. 

"Ooh, scents can be deceiving! Maybe our Hyuck is a omega too." 

Donghyuck paused, his back muscles rolling, before Jaemin stood firmly in front of him.

"Don't. Listen," Jaemin said firmly to Donghyuck, and started running again. After a beat, Donghyuck followed. 

The two friends reached a far distance quickly enough, their usual favorite spot: a hidden rock, hidden in the depths of the forest, hidden from the prying and judgement of the whole pack. 

Donghyuck was panting, not from the running. Jaemin gave him a moment.

"All I want. Is to get those motherers," he growled. 

Jaemin shuddered. "I know. I know, Donghyuck, but our friendship..." 

"I know. It's a delicate balance. I...I'm sorry." 

It was hard for their peers to understand that Jaemin, an omega, and Donghyuck, an alpha, were friends. Just friends. Sometimes, it was hard to keep that friendship too.

"It's okay. I know how hard you try, not to...scare me." 

"What those alphas say to you is so disgusting, as an alpha it's hard-" 

"You're the only one I can stand. You're the only one I can ing stand," Jaemin answered.

"I get it. I can't stand alphas either. Except Jisung, maybe. He's a ditz but he's not an . Well...there's a reason you're my best friend." 

Jaemin took a deep breath. "I'm just so sick of it, Donghyuck. I get it, haha, it's so funny, the Head Alpha only has one child and he's an omega who can't take on the title. How disappointing, how sad for our Head Alpha, on top of this famine his mate exclusively births a disappointment-" 

"Jaemin, you know it's just the alphas that say that-" 

"Not. True. It's not true! Today, I heard my teacher, my omega teacher telling some of the other staff how sad it was for our Head Taeyong that my status turned out this way. Boo ing hoo. I mean...are they not capable of thinking about how I feel? I've had to put up with this as soon as I presented-" 

"And you presented early." 

"Yeah. First of the pups our age. Thirteen god damn years old. It started from the beginning, from the very beginning. The whole pack was, like, in mourning or something when I first presented...I didn't ing die or anything. I mean...now they must be glad; everyone hates my dad. Ever since this famine hit...well, I'm sure they're happy no one from his line can take over the title." 

"Only an idiot would think this is his fault; the weather's just gotten terrible. No food can live or grow here; of course it's going to be hard," Donghyuck responded in the soft voice he always used when talking to Jaemin about Taeyong. 

"Don't worry, Hyuck, you can be honest. I hate him too." Donghyuck gave Jaemin a surprised look. "You think he was excited to have an omega child?" Jaemin scoffed. "He was the most disappointed of anyone." 

"God Jaemin-" 

"I'm just your pathetic omega , disappointment of the pack." 

Donghyuck swallowed thickly. "I know you're not. You know you're not. Our friends know you're not." 

"That's...kind of it though. It's hard to believe when the entire pack is telling you otherwise."

"I...I can't imagine. I can't imagine what it's like to be you." 

Jaemin chuckled sadly. "Things were supposed to be so different, you know? We were promised such different things when we were young. Everyone told me I'd be an alpha. I mean, well, everyone mostly wanted me to be an alpha, they wanted it so bad that they begged it of me; they thought that by telling me over and over, that I would just be one. The best Head in years having the best heir. And now look. All we have is famine. My dad is no longer the best Head in years. And he doesn't even have a ing heir. How pathetic for him, how pathetic for me." Jaemin got off the rock and flopped down in the grass. His stomach growled, but both boys ignored it. "Chenle and Jisung have had an alright go of it, except for Chenle's heat being not as early as they hoped." 

"Jisung's not the all powerful alpha people expected him to be." 

Jaemin scoffed. "You think he gives a ? He could be if he wanted to; all he cares about is being Chenle's mate." 

"True." 

"Out of the brothers, though, Renjun's had a much rougher future than Chenle. I mean...not knowing your status, at this age? That would be...frightening," Jaemin said. "Worse than being an omega." Both boys were silent for a moment, thinking of the fate of their close friend. Jaemin eventually shook his head and cleared his throat. "How about you? How was your life supposed to be different?" 

"Come on. Everyone knows how my life was supposed to go." 

"Remind me." 

"I was gonna be Mark's omega mate," Donghyuck answered.

Jaemin sighed deeply. "That's right. And Mark was gonna be head too, if I wasn't an alpha." 

They both laughed sadly at the thought. 

"Mark's really had the worst fate of us all: promised to be a strong alpha and all that, omega mate and possible Head. Now look at him." 

Donghyuck looked down at the ground with a pained expression on his face. 

"Come on," Jaemin groaned. "We haven't even seen the guy in seven years." 

"Don't be so heartless," Donghyuck spoke, a little too loudly. "He's been so ing sick for seven years that he can't leave his cabin and meet anyone." 

"I heard that's what happens when a beta has a pup," Jaemin mumbled, thinking of Mark's parents, Doyoung and Jaehyun. "Kun once told me that Mark was lucky he got to be healthy for the first ten years of his life; that even that was a miracle." Donghyuck winced and gripped the rock tightly. Jaemin turned to look at him, surprise and concern etched on his face. "Do you miss him?" 

Donghyuck didn't answer for many moments. "I don't think I've ever cared about anybody as much as I cared about him, when I was young." 

Jaemin swallowed and looked back up at the sky, processing. "It's crazy. None of us have seen him for seven years and he was so close to us all before. We don't even know his status, if he's presented at all." Jaemin cleared his throat. "Hyuck...would you mate with him?" 

"If things were different...I think so. I think so." 

"I don't wanna mate," Jaemin answered. 

"Not even me?" Donghyuck cried. 

Jaemin made a retching noise. "You least of all!" He cried, and both of them knew that was genuine. "How could I mate some weak alpha that still holds a candle for his childhood crush?" 

Donghyuck laughed back, the mood lightened. It was okay when it was Jaemin, all just teasing. 

"But wait, Jaemin...really? You don't wanna have a mate?" 

"No way...no ing way. I hate all alphas, remember?" 

"True, true. And they deserve it." 

"God, you know my dad, Ten? When he was young he used to have fun...I wanna have fun like that. with alphas like he used to. Not soften up and take a mate like he did, with Taeyong."

"And nobody would be better at that than you," Donghyuck answered. 

"I sure as hell hope so." Jaemin sat up and looked around. "You think those alphas went home? I promised dad I'd try to help him with scavenging..." 

"You think you're gonna find anything in the eternal winter of this god damn ing famine?" 

"Weren't you the one who said you were gonna try hunting earlier?" Jaemin rebutted before dropping the teasing tone. "We...We're all trying." Donghyuck's stomach growled, this time, the sound so usual in their daily lives now that they could barely hear it. 

"You're right. You're right. And don't worry about those alphas; I'll walk you home." 

Jaemin grinned as Donghyuck stood up. "Thanks." 

The two walked home in silence, the dark cold of their territory surrounding them, pressing on them like a wet blanket, chilling them to the bone. Adult alphas began to return from the woods after the hunt, Jaemin and Donghyuck watching. Like usual, there was close to nothing, just rabbits and deer, nothing enough to feed the size of their pack. But the teenagers didn't say anything, not even to each other.

They finally got to the Head Alpha's cabin, standing at the door. 

"Where are you headed now?" 

"Oh, just home," Donghyuck answered, looking anywhere but at Jaemin, playing with his fingers. "The usual." 

"Alright. Keep your eyes out," Jaemin said; they both knew for who: those boys never left them alone. 

"Always do." 

"See you at dinner." 

"The one meal!" Donghyuck cried excitedly. They shared their usual smile, the smile of companionship, of emptiness, and Jaemin shut the door. 

Donghyuck took a deep breath and walked away. 

~~~~~~~~~~

After dropping Jaemin off, Donghyuck took his time heading to his next destination. Because of Mark's illness someone would have to be home, but Donghyuck was always afraid that Head Alpha Taeyong would call both of Mark's parents to help on the hunt and he would have to wait until they came back. 

It was fruitless. It was fruitless anyways, but Donghyuck would still try. He would always try. 

The alpha teen reached Doyoung and Jaehyun's cabin, knocking on the door. He paused; nothing. He knocked again. 

The third time was the charm and a frazzled looking Jaehyun answered the door, not opening all the way, almost hiding himself behind the wood. When Donghyuck used to come for his daily visits when he was young Doyoung was the one that answered the door. He was the beta; the clear caretaker of a sick pup. But once the famine started things had switched; now Jaehyun answered the door. Donghyuck figured Doyoung was the better hunter despite his status; it was written all over the shame in Jaehyun's face at being made to stay home. 

"Donghyuck-" He said, his expression pained. At this point, nobody had to say why Donghyuck was there. 

"Mr. Jung, please," Donghyuck begged. 

The adult alpha rested his face in his palms. "It's been seven years, Donghyuck. Seven years and you still come every single day, even though the answer is always the same. It...it breaks my heart but it's still a no." 

"I can't see him?" 

Jaehyun looked at Donghyuck, breathing in and out heavily before averting his eyes to the ground. "I...I...Donghyuck...I'll take a look at him." 

Donghyuck gave Jaehyun a nervous but happy smile; it wasn't often that Doyoung or Jaehyun did this much for him. Usually it was just a no and an order to leave, and occasionally a threat to tell Donghyuck's parents about what he was doing (although they never did). 

The alpha teen came in closer to the door as Jaehyun ducked to the back of the house, seemingly to talk to Mark. Soon enough he heard a conversation, too muffled to make out what anyone was saying. But he knew Jaehyun's voice, he knew Doyoung's voice, and the person Jaehyun was talking to was not Doyoung. 

It had been so long since Donghyuck had even a glimpse of Mark's voice and he melted at the muffled sound. It was weaker than when they were kids, deeper too. All Donghyuck needed now was just to hear what they were saying. 

All the excitement disappeared though when Jaehyun returned; his expression told Donghyuck this was a lost cause. 

"You can't. It's...the sickness. Donghyuck, if you're carrying any sort of illness, even if you can't feel it, Mark probably will catch it. And then he'll...." Jaehyun shuddered; he couldn't even finish that sentence. "You don't want that, do you?" 

Donghyuck swallowed and looked down at the floor; it was weird to see a strong alpha like Jaehyun getting so emotional. 

"I understand," he mumbled back. 

"But...but Donghyuck I'm sorry. You're sweet, and you try so, so hard, and oh my god sometimes I can't believe you're an alpha if it wasn't for your scent, you're just so caring..." Jaehyun cleared his throat. "Anyways, Donghyuck, we...thank you. It's good to know some of Mark's old friends still care. And...I'm sorry. Again I'm sorry, I wish-" 

"I understand Mr. Jung. I hope I'm not a bother," Donghyuck answered. 

Jaehyun took a deep breath before answering. "No, you're not." The adult alpha looked around at the darkening sky. "You should get home before it gets dark." 

Donghyuck nodded. "Will do, Mr. Jung. Say hello to Mark for me." 

Jaehyun smiled as much as he could, taking in the words Donghyuck always spoke before he left. "Of course, Donghyuck. Stay safe; you've grown up well." 

Donghyuck gave that almost fake smile back and left their doorway, hearing it shut behind him. He took a deep breath, shook himself off, and made for home. 

This thing he did, every day since Mark was pulled out of school because of his sickness...it was like his dirty little secret, that only Mark's parents knew about. Donghyuck wasn't even sure if Mark knew he came around every day. It was strange, he knew, for all the reasons Jaemin had before. But Donghyuck couldn't stop. It tied him to better days, to an idea that sometime in the future, all of the problems in this pack would be fixed. 

That the famine would be gone. That the people would love Head Alpha Taeyong again. That nobody would make fun of Jaemin for being an omega; that they would respect his status. That Mark wouldn't be sick anymore. 

Donghyuck liked Doyoung and Jaehyun well enough. They had never told his parents about these visits, after all, and Donghyuck knew his dad and papa would be beyond worried if they knew about Donghyuck's lingering feelings. But he always had a feeling they never told him the whole truth. How come they got to be with Mark even though they went out and about among the pack, bringing home germs to him too? If that was really the case, shouldn't Mark just be in total isolation with Kun, the pack healer? 

But Donghyuck shook the thoughts from his mind. This was not his place. He couldn't and shouldn't take advantage of Mark's parents, who were really just doing their best for him. It was Donghyuck's fault that as hard as he might try, he couldn't forget the past.