sixteen.

What It Means to be Me

It was in the morning before class began that Jaemin received news that devastated him. 

He was just about to leave his home, bags in hand, almost excited for the day to come when his father, bleary eyed, stepped into the main room. Ten looked at Jaemin curiously then sniffed the air. 

"Good morning dad," Jaemin said softly, eyebrows furrowing at his odd behavior. 

"Morning," Ten mumbled tiredly before coming closer to Jaemin, sniffing the air again. 

"I-Is something wrong? I'm gonna be late for school..." 

"One second," Ten muttered again, finally smelling him, close to his chest. Ten quickly sat up and swallowed. "Jaemin...keep your wits about you, alright? Listen to your body for the next few days." 

"Wh-what do you mean?" 

"It smells like you're gonna get your heat soon." 

Jaemin's jaw dropped. "H-How soon?" 

"I'll be shocked if it doesn't come by the weekend." It was a Tuesday. 

"Are you sure?" 

Ten nodded tiredly. "I've always been able to scent people's heats." 

"O-oh my god..." 

"Don't worry Jaemin. It's not that big of a deal," Ten answered, clearly woken up a little bit. He rubbed his son's back gently. "Just listen to your body. If you start feeling hot all over, or like, for no reason...just come home, okay? Don't worry about missing class or embarrassing yourself or anything. It would be more embarrassing to go through school with it. You know...the alphas will be able to smell, once you get it. And being around them...that could get kinda dangerous. So as soon as you think it's coming just come home. I won't care, even if it's a false alarm." 

"O-Okay dad...." 

"Jaemin, we've discussed this for years! It'll be fine. You didn't seem so worried earlier..." 

Jaemin wasn't scared about his heat at all. The one thing Jaemin couldn't say, was that he wasn't really worried about himself. "J-just...it finally being here. Is scary," he lied.

"Aw, Jaemin....you'll be safe and alright. We'll make sure everyone leaves you alone...unless there's someone you want over, then Taeyong and I will stay with someone else..." 

"No. There's no one." 

"Alright then. I don't want to make you late. Just promise me you'll listen to your body, alright?" Ten spoke as Jaemin slung his backpack over his shoulder again. 

"Of course dad..." 

"Have a nice day at school! Good luck!" 

"Thanks," Jaemin said, shutting the door and running down the path to school. He was going to need every bit of luck he could get.

~~~~~~~~~~

There was no way Jaemin could pay attention at all during class. 

At this piont, knowing what he knew now, he really regretted procrastinating on his plan. Now, he didn't have time to think. He just had to figure out how to break up with Jeno in the quickest and cruelest way possible. 

Thinking about Jeno being there during his heat literally made him ache all over. He knew it would just feel so right, so safe, make him feel so loved in an omega's most vulnerable moment. 

But it couldn't be. Jeno would mark him and Jaemin would ing let him, and then they'd be stuck together, forever. Like his dad Ten was, just another mated omega. Jaemin was sure his dad Ten wanted better for him, and Jaemin surely wanted better for himself. 

Jeno's an alpha, he deserves this. 

That's what Jaemin kept on repeating in his head. Even if it wasn't true, even if Jeno was different, maybe if Jaemin said it enough times to himself he'd believe it. 

How was he going to do this so he could take that feeling, that power that this entire thing was for? 

He needed to do it in the cruelest way possible. If he just dumped Jeno normally, with kind words, it wouldn't be enough. Jeno would be so understanding and just let him, not putting up any sort of fuss. Even if Jaemin insulted his character, he'd probably just take it. It needed to be in a way that would truly grind his gears, kill him inside. It had to be something Jeno was categorically against. 

Jaemin could insult his family? No, no, even Jaemin knew that was way too far, the idea of doing so stinging in his heart. It had to be bad, but not quite that bad. 

And suddenly, it came to Jaemin. 

One of his most precious memories of Jeno, when Jeno stood up for him and Renjun against those horrible alpha bullies. Jaemin could take that, twist that, and make it all wrong. 

He could cheat on Jeno with one of them. 

He wouldn't need to go that far with them, no, just make sure Jeno saw him flirting and feeling them up a little, no kissing even necessary. But if Jeno saw, it would be enough to really, really hurt him, and get exactly what Jaemin wanted. Jaemin knew that once he broke up with Jeno, that memory would haunt him for the rest of his days. But if he could taint it, he wouldn't have to think about it again. 

Would the alphas even respond to it, without making fun of him? Jaemin wasn't entirely sure. But what he did know was that alphas always just thought with their . And if an omega like himself was bearing himself to them, they'd probably take it, no matter what they thought of him. 

Jaemin wasn't as excited as he thought he would be, as he wished he was. But when it happened, Jaemin knew every feeling he'd ever wanted to feel would come rushing into his chest. Finally, maybe, he'd have power.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jaemin avoided all his friends during lunchtime. 

He told Chenle he felt a little sick and ran off to the bathroom for the rest of that period, formulating his plan, steeling his heart. He didn't want to do this in front of all his friends, so as much as he hated to push it off anything further, just in case his heat suddenly came, he was willing to take that risk. 

Plus, he didn't think he could face Jeno yet. 

But class started up again, he told everyone he felt fine again, and he let the anxiety bubble in his stomach until the bell rang. 

It was time. 

Jeno wasn't in his class, luckily, so Jaemin had time to ignore their usual meeting spot and search for the bully alphas. He found them easily, at their usual hide out, taking a deep breath and striding over with a confidence that was completely false. 

"Whatcha doing over here, omega ? Where's your alpha?" Their leader asked. Jaemin gagged a little in his mouth but remembered what he was doing and why, his brain turning into utter static with how uncomfortable he felt. 

"Don't have one," Jaemin mumbled, his voice a little too warbly for his liking. 

"Don't have one? My my, you really are a ."

"But I'm looking for one..." Jaemin answered, ignoring his words. "And you know...I think you're the kind of alpha that likes a challenge. Something to tame. Won't settle for just an omega drooling at your feet." 

The bully alpha smirked and Jaemin felt disgusting. "I'd never start with a drooly, dumb, obedient omega. But I'll always finish with one." Jaemin hid his shudder as the alphas behind their leader snickered, and he pulled Jaemin closer by the waist. "Cm'here." 

Jaemin faked a sweet, innocent, the kind he always had to fake with Jeno, in the beginning, before it all turned a little too real. He gripped the alpha's shoulders as he began to scent him, the smell crawling up into his nose and making him want to cry but he just gripped harder, almost possessively, trying to ing forget. The alpha's fingers on his waist were cruel and unrelenting; Jaemin knew he'd find bruises there the next day.

When Jeno touched him, it felt protective. 

Jaemin felt empty. 

But this would all be worth it when Jeno saw, when he'd break his heart. 

And as the bully alpha began to nibble on his ear, a shout came over the field. 

"Jaemin?" It was unmistakably Jeno. 

"What does that want?" the bully alpha grumbled, clutching Jaemin a little tighter. It made Jaemin smile to think this bully felt threatened by Jeno, when he didn't seem to feel threatened by anyone else. But Jaemin frowned, remembering he was now kind of on their side, instead of Jeno's.

"I'll go see what he wants," Jaemin grumbled, giving the bully alpha a snort and an eye roll before jogging over to Jeno. He stood a few paces away from his so called promised mate, crossing his arms and looking down at the floor. He was incapable of making eye contact with him, his mind running a thousand miles a minute yet blank, somehow. "What." 

"A-are you okay? What were those alphas doing?" Jeno asked with genuine concern. 

Oh god, oh god, Jeno was worried about him, Jeno thought the alphas were hurting him, Jaemin was going to break. "I'm great, actually," he lied. 

"J-Jaemin, you're shaking...why were over there? Were they trying to take advantage of you? They were touching you like..." 

Jaemin swallowed, steeling himself. "They were doing exactly what I wanted." His voice was strong, cruel, confident. Jaemin felt like that voice wasn't even his own. 

"Wait....wait a second...Jaemin..."

Jaemin felt like he left his own body at that moment, looking down at the cruel omega standing before Jeno, staring defiantly into his eyes. He didn't say anything. 

"You wanted them all over you?" 

"Duh." 

"B-but...but aren't we promised mates? I-I wouldn't touch another omega like that, ever, and I don't even want to." 

Jaemin scoffed, wearing a smirk. "Wait a second...you thought all of that stuff earlier was for real?" 

Jeno just stared back at him in shock. 

"God, I'm seventeen! I'm not looking for a ing promised mate right now. I'm just ing around." 

"B-but you said..." 

"It's just words, Jeno. It doesn't mean anything. We didn't actually do ." 

"Jaemin, you're shaking..." 

"No I'm not," Jaemin answered, a little sharper than he'd meant to. But then again, he felt like he was an autopilot, not in control of his own actions. 

He stared into Jeno's shattered expression, broken eyes, and Jaemin's stomach just burned, his nerves absolutely on fire. Was this that feeling of power he'd been craving so badly? Or was it anxiety, sadness, his own heart broken? He couldn't be sure.

Jaemin did have to admit he felt strong, seeing an alpha so weak for him. But his stomach kept burning away; it felt like in a few minutes, he wouldn't even have a stomach left. It was uncomfortable. 

"So...you don't want me anymore," Jeno spoke, a soft mumble, staring right at the ground like he always did when he and Jaemin first got to know one another, too nervous to look him in the eyes. 

"Anymore?" Jaemin answered, barely holding back his own pained wince. 

"Jaemin," Jeno cried, low and weak, hiding his face in his hands. 

"What," Jaemin deadpanned. Jeno was right. He was shaking. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Sure about what?" 

Jeno sighed and whimpered. "Sure that...that you don't...don't want to be p-promised to me anymore?" 

Jaemin shrugged. "Yup." 

"Oh my god," Jeno breathed out, his breaths shaky. "I-I had so many plans...so much I..." he whispered. 

"That's not really my problem," Jaemin mumbled. He wanted to collapse. 

"I...I can't. I can't," Jeno finally spoke. And with that, he covered his face with his palms, and ran off the road back home. 

"That alpha's crying over ing Jaemin," the bully alphas teased, snickering in the background. Jaemin felt his heart drop even further; he'd forgotten they were even there. 

Jaemin just stood there. Not happy, not sad, not anything. He felt like an empty shell of a human being. 

"Hey! Don't you wanna come play more?" 

Jaemin ignored him and began to run home. Just like Jeno had a few moments ago. 

Would Chenle and Jisung forgive him for this? Probably not. They were too close to Jeno, would know that Jaemin was in the utter wrong and forsake his friendship entirely. But it was alright...Jaemin didn't have anyone else anyways. Donghyuck was distracted by his secret new mate or whatever, Renjun was too focused on being a beta, Chenle and Jisung mainly just cared about each other, Jeno had to be lost anyways, and Ten would always side with Taeyong, his idiot father, at the end of the day. Jaemin didn't really have anyone anyways, what was losing a few more people to him?

He felt weird. There was power running through his veins but shame, defeat, emptiness there too. It didn't seem like he had anything to look forward to in life anymore. Not that he'd had much anyways. A future with Jeno was something Jaemin never really had, after all. 

But maybe, there was one person out there who would be proud of Jaemin. A smile came over his lips as he rushed home, thinking of the person who would regard his plan with approval, would praise him, would take away the guilt Jaemin felt, leaving just the power he'd wanted so bad: Ten, his omega father. 

It was what Ten did in his younger days, the legacy Jaemin was carrying on. 

Jaemin burst in through the front door and slapped a grin on his face, trying to press away the urge to go into his room and crawl into bed and cry into his pillow and never come out and just disappear. 

"Hey Jaemin, what's with you? How was school?" Ten asked, standing in the living room, cleaning things up a little bit. Of course, Taeyong was nowhere to be found, and Jaemin thanked god for it.

"School was great," Jaemin lied, throwing his things down. 

"So no heat yet?" 

"Nope. But I've got something good to tell you." 

"Ooh, I'm excited! Come sit next to me." Jaemin and Ten both flopped on the bed, and Ten gave his son a confused look. "Are you alright? You're acting kinda weird and you're even shaking..." 

"Oh dad, I've never been better. Alright, so I bet you've heard those rumours about me and Yukhei and Jungwoo's son Jeno spending a lot of time together, right?" 

Ten perked up immediately and smiled. "I have." 

"So, you know, I was really inspired by your stories you told me of being in your old pack..." 

"Wait...inspired?" 

"Yeah! So...I don't know. I wanted to feel that power you had. Use our omega abilities to have control, for once in our lives." 

The smile came off Ten's face and now, he just looked concerned. But in his excitement for his father's pride, Jaemin didn't notice. "Go on." 

"Well...I decided to try it out! I got really close to Jeno, and when he asked to be promised mates I said alright. I said I wanted that. Total lie, of course. So then I waited it out until it was close to my heat, just to play around with the guy a little more. But then this morning you said it was coming any day now, so it was time to break his heart. So after school, I went over to those really ty alphas and flirted with them in front of him, and then told him I never really cared about him. Oh my god he was so hurt...I felt so powerful." 

Ten was looking at him, gaping. "Wait, wait, Jaemin...has Jeno been nice to you?" 

"Oh always. He's probably the nicest alpha at my school. He's an angel to everyone, not just me..." Jaemin trailed off, voice growing quieter. 

"Let me get this straight. You seduce the nicest alpha at your school, then flirt with your bullies in front of him, who he probably hates on your behalf, then dump him and say you never cared in the first place. To feel what...powerful?" 

"Exactly." 

Ten gasped and didn't speak for a minute. "Oh my god, Jaemin, what the hell is wrong with you?" 

"What the hell is wrong with you? I just did exactly what you did..." 

"Jaemin, Jaemin, it was different! The alphas in my old pack were totally awful. Jeno is kind, and even then I never promised to mate any of them! I was never promised. Jaemin...you..." 

Jaemin looked down into the couch, his breath rate climbing higher, and higher, and higher. "I-I thought you would be proud of me..." 

Ten had his face in his palms. ". I..., oh my god. I'm the world's worst parent. I'm literally the worst parent to ever live. You grew up loved and everything and I still made you just as jaded as I was when I was your age."

"Don't you want to feel powerful again, instead of just the worst Head Alpha in history's omega? Instead of just being alone all the ing time at home with an alpha that's never around? I did this for both of us. I want you to feel my power. Dad, I wanted you to respect me."

It was like none of Jaemin's words registered in Ten's mind. In one ear and out of the other. "Oh my god, Taeyong, I'm sorry," Ten breathed out, heavily. "I..."

Ten wasn't proud. In fact, Ten was pissed, Ten was disappointed, and Jaemin was the villain. As if he didn't feel absolutely ty enough. Jaemin sighed.

So, he's still alone. Honestly, he should have expected this. Always was, always will be. 

" you," Jaemin growled to his dad and ran into his room, slamming his door behind him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: sorry guys...man writing this chapter gave ME anxiety even though ive known it was coming...so sorry to you readers. i wont give any spoilers but i hope you enjoyed this chapter even if it hurt. please leave comments if you want, they fuel me as a writer! the more comments i get, the more i want to update my stories.