twelve.

What It Means to be Me

Mark didn't have peace again until the next day, in the bright afternoon, with his love by his side. 

He didn't sleep, at all. He was grateful that both his parents left for the hunt in the morning, to be gone all day, like he had requested. But being alone at home forced him to fester in his feelings, only getting a few naps in here and there between the pounding headache of his thoughts. 

Until Donghyuck arrived, and his heart settled. Just feeling the alpha's arms around him, warm skin on his own, soft breaths on his face, made him feel at ease, let his mind quiet a little bit. 

"What's wrong baby?" Donghyuck asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the gentle mood of the room, speak above the crackling of the fire. 

Of course Donghyuck could tell how upset Mark was. Mark had tried to be strong and hide the cloud over his head for his promised mate, but clearly, Donghyuck had seen right through it. But, maybe it would help Mark to talk it through. So he sighed and spoke. 

"I got in a big fight with my parents last night." 

Donghyuck took in a breath and wrapped his arms around Mark in that tiny bed, holding him closer. "What was it about? Did you discuss Jaehyun's behavior?" 

Mark nodded and hummed. "Well...it started with that. I confronted him about how he acted, and what he told me the other day about being an alpha. I said that it hurt that he didn't want to be with me and cared more about being an alpha than anything else, me and his beta mate. He tried to defend himself but...I just wasn't having it. I didn't want to talk to him." 

"Oh god, Mark, I'm so sorry..." Donghyuck spoke quietly, rubbing Mark's back in circles. "I...I can feel your heart racing; it must have been so hurtful to fight over that and for him to even try to defend himself." 

"It was...it was bad, but , it just gets worse." 

"Oh my god..." 

"So, Doyoung got back from the hunt, and he went to go look after me instead while Jaehyun, I dunno, cooled down or something like a ing animal would need to. Well, I didn't want to talk to him anyways but...so he came in to talk to me and at first it was alright, he actually kinda made me feel better, like, saying we're all really on edge right now..." 

"That is true," Donghyuck softly said. 

"But...but then I...well, I'm upset with Jaehyun's behavior towards Doyoung too, not just me. I feel like it's unfair that he expects Doyoung to do omega work when he's a beta, and a better hunter at that. Like, didn't he think about these things before mating Doyoung? Well, that was my point then. So I asked Doyoung why he even mated Jaehyun if he's such a good hunter and since Jaehyun's an alpha with such...backward ideas in his heart. And...oh god, that was the worst part. . So, Doyoung was part of the enemy pack during the war, and our pack killed off all their alphas and abandoned their omegas, and then Jaehyun picked Doyoung out of a line up, like cattle, to be his mate. And Doyoung ended up going along with it? I'm...I'm so disturbed. I came from that. I'm disappointed, too. Like my dad is an evil kidnapper and my other dad is weak and got stockholm syndromed. ...I just hate them, and I hate that one of my dads is a beta. Like if they hadn't been stupid enough to start a family then I wouldn't be sick! And maybe our situation would be normal!" 

Donghyuck sighed softly into the crook of Mark's neck and rubbed his back as Mark slowly came down from his risen anger. "I'm so sorry you have to go through this." 

"I'm sorry too, I shouldn't be so upset-" 

"No," Donghyuck firmly spoke. He tilted up Mark's chin so they locked eyes. "You have every right to be angry and upset. This is such a terrible situation." 

Mark swallowed. "Thank you Hyuck." 

"Don't thank me." Donghyuck pulled Mark closer so Mark's face was buried in the crook of his neck. 

"I just...I don't even know how to feel," Mark mumbled. 

"Do you want me give my thoughts or just listen?" 

"I wanna know what you think. Of course I do, you're my promised mate." 

"Alright." Donghyuck sat up, rest his head on his hand. "Did Doyoung mention who else from that other pack was chosen in that line up?" 

Mark thought for a moment then gasped. "That's right! It was Sicheng, and Jungwoo, and Ten, and-" 

"Taeil. My dad. Who is now mated to Johnny, who picked him from that line to be his mate." Mark swallowed and looked down, thinking over this. "I understand how you feel about this. The same story is what happened to my parents. It's a little different, of course, since Doyoung is a beta and a strong beta as well, whereas all the rest were omegas. But Taeil didn't wanna mate either." 

"I-I can't believe it." 

Donghyuck sighed. "I know. It's funny that all our friends parents are in the same boat too, since Renjun and Chenle are Sicheng and Yuta's kids, and Jaemin is Ten and Taeyong's kid, and Jisung is Jungwoo and Yukhei's kid. Jungwoo and Yukhei are a little different as well; Jungwoo had feelings for Yukhei from the start, so it isn't quite as disturbing as all of the rest of our situations. But the rest of them were not happy, for quite a while." 

"Doyoung told me he tried to escape," Mark mumbled. 

"Taeil, Sicheng, and Ten were with him," Donghyuck answered. "I know. It was that bad for them at one point. It makes me sick." 

"How long ago did you find out?" 

"Ages ago," Donghyuck explained. "Once we all began to present, our parents explained the situation. Me and Renjun and Chenle and Jisung and Jaemin have discussed it many, many times. Actually, Jaemin and I still talk about it a lot." 

"And what do you think?" 

Donghyuck shrugged. "We don't know how to feel. All of our parents love each other, right? None of them have issues we can see. They're happy together, and I think they would have been happier than if they'd never been together. But...it's still ed up. No matter how you look at it it's a little ed up. So, we haven't really made up our minds. It just is how it is." 

Mark sighed at that; Donghyuck was right. Where their relationship came from was so messed up that their happiness should be put into question. But his parents did love each other, and seemed to have a mostly equal relationship.

"Yeah...I agree with you on that one too." 

Donghyuck quickly kissed Mark's cheek and the omega flushed a little, momentarily distracted. "About your family dynamics....while I agree with you in a lot of aspects, like, them thinking a little further ahead about what having a beta in the family is like, I don't think it's right to be so upset with Doyoung for, like, trying to live his best life as a beta. You can't help your status, you know. And betas get a ton of just for living. They should be allowed to have full lives, you know." 

Mark nodded and frowned. "Yeah, I guess I see your point." 

"You know, it turns out Renjun's a beta." 

Mark looked up quickly. "Wait, seriously?" 

"Yup. He just found out a little while ago. He's...he's not been having a good time of it. It's really hard to be a beta. Sometimes they feel like there's no place for themselves, in work, in family." 

"I guess I shouldn't have said those things about betas then," Mark mumbled. 

"Yeah. That wasn't right. But in everything else I totally agree with you." 

"Wow...I kinda feel guilty now." 

"You were angry. We all say stuff we don't mean in anger," Donghyuck mumbled, petting Mark's hair. 

"And both my parents do love me a lot. They devote so much to me. You know, I don't know if a lot of other parents would be as nice if they had a child who was sick, like me. Especially since neither of them were omegas so they weren't really told how to heal or take care of pups or anything. But...I...I still have anger. I'm still angry at them, and at their situation, and especially Jaehyun." 

"Which, you have every right to be. Absolutely. Just because they're generally good people doesn't mean they can't hurt you." 

Mark sighed. "God, Donghyuck. You're right. You're so right. How could I be so lucky to have you by my side right now?" 

Donghyuck softly kissed Mark's cheek. "I'm the lucky one," he mumbled. "I promise." 

"I feel so much better now. Not perfect, but better." 

"And if I can make you feel even just a bit better, than I'm glad." 

Mark rolled over onto his back and turned to Donghyuck, giving him a sly smile. "You know, you haven't even kissed me since you've been over today. You lit the fire more and then got me on this as soon as you came in," he teasingly complained. 

Donghyuck grinned back, climbing over Mark. "I'm sorry that I love taking care of your physical and emotional needs." 

"But what about my lip's needs?" Mark mumbled against Donghyuck's plush mouth. 

"That I can take care of, easy," Donghyuck practically whispered back, giving Mark a quick peck. "You, when we kiss, it's like you're taking care of my needs." 

Now Donghyuck gave Mark a real kiss, pressing in soft and slow, leading as Mark followed, ever eager. And Mark just felt more of his tension and fear wash away; he could deal with anything when Donghyuck was by his side. He could do tonight, when he'd inevitably have to face his parents. He could do the future, the looming horizon of his fate and waiting for it to be fulfilled. 

"Pretty," Donghyuck mumbled as he pulled away, fixing Mark's hair with a gentle hand. "So, so pretty." 

"Hyuck," Mark whined, looking away shyly, some color coming back into his cheeks. Donghyuck tilted Mark's chin towards him, forcing them to lock eyes. Mark giggled softly and hugged Donghyuck tight, burying his face in the crook of Donghyuck's neck. "And you're so warm and handsome." 

"Agh, I dunno. I think you might care more about the warm part than the handsome part." 

"No way! You're as hot as you are warm," Mark teased. 

And for a few hours, at least, Mark was happy. 

~~~~~~~~~~

These days, Renjun liked being alone. 

Everyone tried their best. Well, everyone Renjun loved tried their best to be good and understanding and kind and empathetic. But...they just couldn't get it. They just couldn't see that no amount of trying to perk him up, telling him about his "options" wasn't going to make him excited about his status.

And, everyone Renjun didn't love was an absolute that made his life more of a nightmare than it already was.

So, he liked being alone. Maybe he was letting it fester, letting it stew. But wallowing in self pity was better than pretending to be okay for everyone else. 

Renjun's personal favorite spot was far distant from where everyone else in their pack spent their times. It was by a small river, almost a creek, frozen to ice by the weather. But Renjun could imagine it beautiful and flowing in the times before the famine, and being there reminded him that one day, it would flow again. 

When the bell rang for school he'd ran out, like usual, to head over to his favorite river, so he could finally be alone. 

But to his surprise, there was another presence at its edge. 

Renjun looked down at the figure and breathed in the scent and immediately, he didn't even have to look at the person to know who it was. 

Doyoung. The only other beta Renjun had ever known. The guy everyone mentioned when talking to him about his status. The person he wasn't sure about the most: did he want to talk to him? Did he hate him? He wasn't sure. 

The older beta breathed in too and quickly looked up at Renjun. "O-oh," he spoke, his mouth contorting in a look of surprise; he clearly hadn't known Renjun was a beta too.

Renjun rolled his eyes. "My dad didn't tell you?" 

Doyoung shook his head slowly. Renjun took a deep breath and turned to leave. 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Doyoung asked. 

Renjun paused but didn't turn back. "I-I don't think so." 

"I think we should talk," Doyoung said, more firmly this time. And with a sigh, Renjun turned back, sitting down beside Doyoung. 

"What are you even doing here? Isn't right now hunting time?" 

"It's over. But I needed to think." 

"This is your thinking spot too?" 

"Yup. I've done quite a bit of thinking here. I thought myself into realizing I was pregnant here." 

"," Renjun mumbled, and they fell silent again for a few minutes. 

"Being a beta kinda ," Doyoung admitted. 

"Right?!" Renjun cried. 

"It really does. No amount of people telling you about your options is gonna make it not , especially since those options are exactly what makes us feel so alienated." 

"Oh my god, exactly." Renjun released a sigh of relief just hearing his words. Maybe, talking to Doyoung was a good idea. 

"We don't really get to participate in a lot of rituals and stuff. I thought I was an alpha until I was sixteen, at least, so I got to participate in some things. It must have been even harder for you, with nobody realizing you were a beta, just not doing anything." 

"It was really bad," Renjun answered. "It's just...now, I don't see a future for myself. Do I even have a future?" 

"Of course you do. The thing is, it often doesn't seem like there's a place for you in the pack life. There is a place. You just have to work a little harder than everyone else to figure out where that place is. And I know, I know, hearing about your options . But its true. If it wasn't for the famine, nobody would bat an eye if I decided I wanted to gather or tend the house all day. And it did take me a day or two to prove myself, but now nobody bats an eye when I go hunting. Alphas and omegas can't do that. They just can't. 

Renjun sighed deeply. "See, I get that. But...Doyoung, I'm not good at either of those things! I've tried keeping my room, I've tried spending time with pups, I've tried hunting. Just...none of it seems to work for me. To be honest...Doyoung, I'm just afraid that when I graduate...like even if an omega is only okay at gathering, or an alpha is only okay at hunting, they do what their status tells them, and are accepted to do that. But...there's nowhere I'm designated to go, and nowhere I seem to excel. Like, you can hunt. But I...I'm just afraid they won't want me to even try." 

Doyoung nodded sympathetically. "I can see that. Of course. I want to promise you though that your parents, your friends, would never let that happen. They will make sure there's a place for you, no matter what. And anyways. Renjun, there's got to be something you're good at. Everyone's good at something." 

"Well, I do alright in school..." 

"How well is alright?" 

Renjun shrugged shyly. "Um...I'm first in my class..." 

"See! So you're smart, and a beta. That is exactly what this pack needs. You know, hunting and gathering is not going to solve this famine. It's people like you who are good at school stuff who are gonna be the ones to figure out how we can all get out of this situation." 

"You really think so?" 

"I know so. We...us betas, we can see a little bit into both sides, alphas and omegas, while still having our own thing. We can do things neither alphas nor omegas can do. That's what's gonna fix our pack." 

"I...I dunno..." 

"Look. I'm gonna tell you the best part about being a beta: we do not have the ual distractions that alphas and omegas have. You don't really get those...reactions until you have a promised mate. Like...since I'm mated to an alpha, I get heats. But only like...once a year? Maybe less even? And if you mated an omega, you wouldn't get any heats. You'd just get ruts when they go into heat, not when you smell any omega's heat." 

"Wait...seriously?" 

"Yup. Yeah, we get to miss out on certain traditions. But we can focus on other things then that they really can't." 

"Wow..." 

"Not to mention you can be with anyone, alpha or omega, and still be able to have a family." 

Renjun smiled. "True, true." 

"So...yeah. I'm not gonna deny it . But it's not the end of the world, being a beta. And you still have a future, and you always have a place." 

"Thank you so much, Doyoung. Your words have been the first that...I can really hear, you know? Maybe...maybe this is better. Than me thinking alone." 

Doyoung gave him a gentle, fatherly smile. "I think it's better for me too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: hey readers! i hope you're enjoying the story thus far!!!

these past two chapters, i really just wanted to address the critiques i got/the things i realized about my last fic, the prequel to this story, what it means to be yours. as time has passed i feel less and less comfortable with the basic plot of that story (like the omegas/doyoung getting forced to live with alphas and then slowly falling in love with them). im still proud of a lot of it. its some of the best writing ive done and definitely the fic ive written thats gotten the most attention. and the majority of the readers didnt really seem to question the story all that much. but i felt like the sequel really had to call the questionable parts of that story to account. 

so if you've read the prequel to this, please let me know what you think! did i address the issues well? did you feel like the prequel did have questionable morals? or did you think it was fine, and the moral issues either weren't that bad/in that prequel i dealt with it well enough to make it not an issue?

please let me know! your feedback and comments in general make me a better and more motivated writer. thank you all so much!

-RainbowDonkeys