fifteen.

What It Means to be Me

All eyes were on Donghyuck during lunch at school that day. 

It was the first day that the alpha teens were back from the test hunt, and everyone was finally reunited at school. Donghyuck was still exhausted from taking care of Mark through his heat (which ended less than twenty four hours ago) plus lying to his parents: he'd had to time coming home exactly to when the test hunt ended. Luckily, his parents hadn't suspected a thing (although they had asked why he smelled a little like omega, to which Donghyuck had to straight up say they were being ridiculous about), and they'd believed he went to and from the test hunt like all of the other alphas his own age. 

And to Donghyuck's knowledge, Mark was okay. At least, nobody figured their disappearances were related. Nobody had called Donghyuck to discuss anything. Later on, he'd go see how Mark was doing. But as of right now, almost everything seemed like it had gone smoothly. 

There was one last obstacle: Donghyuck's friends. 

And by the way they were looking at him, Donghyuck wasn't sure if they'd believe any excuse he gave. 

"Dude, what the happened?" Renjun finally spoke up. 

Donghyuck scoffed. "What do you mean?" 

"What do you mean? You ditched the test hunt!" Chenle spoke in surprise. 

"Where were you?" Jaemin asked, snuggling deeper into Jeno's side.

"Um...something came up. I got busy." 

"Too busy for the test hunt?" Renjun asked. 

"And what were you even busy with?" Chenle added. 

"Well, Jisung ditched it too..." 

"I ditched it to make out with Chenle. Yes, bad excuse, but I really don't give a . What's your excuse?" Jisung questioned, pulling Chenle deeper into his lap. 

Part of Donghyuck wanted to tell his friends about the new development in his life. Truthfully, it had been hard to keep his new romance with Mark a secret, seeing as it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. He wanted to just brag and talk for hours about his beautiful, and perfect mate. 

But he couldn't. The first thing they would do is judge him, say he was stupid for giving Mark the mating mark, tell him he's wasting his life. And then, even worse, would be the risk that someone would overhear. Donghyuck knew that even if his friends disapproved, they wouldn't spill this secret if Donghyuck made it clear how important this whole thing was. But if someone overheard...everything would be over. Doyoung and Jaehyun would find out, and then Donghyuck and Mark would never be able to see each other again. That couldn't happen. Donghyuck probably couldn't survive it. 

So, he had to keep up this charade, even if it felt like utter bull to everyone around him. 

"I was busy! God," Donghyuck mumbled. 

"Here's the thing..." Renjun started, leaning in closer to Donghyuck. "See, I've thought this over. You plan on attending the test hunt, you even show up. But then you smell heat and run away as fast as you can. And now..." the beta leaned in closer to sniff. "You reek of omega, an omega I don't know. The kind of reek that can't be taken off with a shower." 

"Donghyuck we all know you have an omega! Don't you trust us?" Chenle whined. Donghyuck looked down at his lap. He didn't want to make eye contact with them, Jaemin least of all. It hurt him, truly, that he couldn't even be honest with his best friend. 

"I can't believe you guys don't believe me. I'm not seeing anyone, alright?" 

The alpha spoke surprisingly firmly, for him, and everyone fell silent for a long moment. Giving a quick glance of all of their faces, Donghyuck felt his heart clench. Clearly, they were so so worried; it wasn't like him to keep a secret. But Donghyuck couldn't do anything about it.

"Oh my god, guys, please. Let's just drop it, alright? Jisung didn't ing show up either. Actually, only one of the alphas in our group showed up," Donghyuck said, directing his gaze at Jeno. Everyone laughed at that, but mainly Jeno just looked proud to be a part of their group. 

"How was it anyways? We've been so busy gossiping about Donghyuck that we don't even know what happened," Chenle said. 

"It was...fine. I got some hunting practice in, which was nice. And the ty alphas kinda left me alone since they wanted to impress Head Alpha Taeyong," Renjun answered. 

"Yeah, I agree," Jeno added. "It was just fine. Nobody really stood out, though, in terms of the next Head. Everyone just kept asking, where's Donghyuck? Where's Donghyuck?" 

Donghyuck swallowed thickly

"Everyone was surprised you didn't show up, every alpha and omega in this school is surprised. Even us. We know how you felt about the whole thing but with the rumours..." Jaemin finally spoke up, his voice small. 

"What rumours?" 

"The rumours that Taeyong wants to nominate you for Head. What else?" Renjun answered. 

"Oh," Donghyuck breathed out. Before this moment, he'd never thought there was anything to those rumours. 

"People were especially surprised you left because of that," Jeno spoke. 

"What could you have been busy with that meant more than being Head?" Jisung asked. 

"It must have been really important," Jaemin mumbled, giving Donghyuck one of those looks where he gazed into his mind, practically reading it. It made Donghyuck nervous. 

"It was," Donghyuck mumbled, too quietly for anyone else to hear. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The road from school to Mark's house was almost always empty, to Donghyuck's joy. It gave him time to think about his beloved mate, to get more and more excited as he walked there, to think about the things he wants to say to Mark and the things he wants to do with him. 

It's an especially important day for that time of thought. He wants to express to Mark, somehow, just how much those four days of heat meant to him. Truly, they were the best days of his short teen life. He just wasn't sure of the rights words to convey all that he felt. 

But, it wasn't quite time to go to Mark's yet. 

Because he was stopped in the middle of his walk. 

"Donghyuck?" 

The teen alpha froze in his tracks. "Taeyong?" Standing right there in front of him, with an unreadable expression on his face, was their pack's Head Alpha. 

"Can I talk to you?" 

Donghyuck's blood ran cold. , he was caught, he and Mark were going to get in so much trouble, he would get chastised for not going to the test hunt and he and Mark would never see each other again and he won't even be able to say goodbye and-

But what could he do? This was the Head Alpha, after all. 

"Sure," Donghyuck finally answered. He tried to push down his panic as Taeyong led him away, into the woods, before finally sitting down on the rock where he and Jaemin used to hang out. Before everything got confusing and wonderful and weird. 

Donghyuck tucked his trembling fingers behind his back as Taeyong sighed. "Why didn't you come to the test hunt?" 

The teen alpha swallowed. "A-actually, I came. I just left early. S-Something came up."

"I didn't even see you...you must have left really early." 

"Sorry." Donghyuck stared pointedly at the grass. 

"I'm surprised you didn't come. You didn't give me a reason to leave before hand. You always work very hard at school and at everything else. I thought you would have made sure to be there." 

"Something came up. I'm sorry." 

Taeyong took another deep breath, inhaling, exhaling. "It's also...just a little suspicious that your childhood best friend, Mark, disappears out of thin air at the exact same time as the test hunt, which you did not show up for. And returns at the same time as you did." 

Donghyuck gripped the rock and tried not to act crazed with panic. "Wh-what are you talking about? That's ridiculous. There's no proof of what you're implying." 

"You're right, you're right. There is no proof. Doyoung and Jaehyun were extremely worried, I will say...but Mark won't talk. He won't tell anybody anything of what happened during those four days. And neither will you. Which leaves us with no proof." 

It was Donghyuck's turn to take a deep breath. "What-"

"Look, Donghyuck, you're not in trouble. I'm not here to chastise you for not showing up to the test hunt. In fact, many alphas your age didn't come. It's not required, and I'm not trying to guilt you for not coming." 

"Then what am I here for?" 

"I brought you here to talk about nominations for the next Head." 

Donghyuck took in a little breath. Maybe those rumours weren't totally fake, but now.... "What does that have to do with me?" He still doubted it all. 

"Well...before the test hunt, I was considering nominating you as the next Head. Now....I'm sure I will." 

Donghyuck's jaw dropped. "Wait, what?" 

"I'm going to nominate you as the next Head, Donghyuck." 

"I-I heard you...." 

"Do you not want to be nominated?" 

"U-um...not necessarily..." Donghyuck was shaking, overwhelmed, his brain had turned to mush. What the hell was going on. "I'm just...confused. I don't understand why you'd nominate me." 

"You see...Donghyuck, most alphas can hunt well enough. And I've heard that you are above average at hunting. Not the best in your age group or the pack, but very good. In the past, that was what earned many Head Alphas their nominations and wins for Head. But...I don't think that's what makes a good leader. It's natural for alphas to be good hunters. In fact, most of the alphas your age are better hunters than the adult alphas in our pack. It's something all alphas are capable of. But....Donghyuck, not every alpha can maintain a pure friendship with an omega and not ever try to take advantage. I know I haven't been around a lot, for a long time, but I hope you know I've noticed you and Jaemin's friendship. And the fact that it's always remained a friendship, even after presenting, even after heats seem to be close by. Not every alpha could have the friendship you have with Jaemin. And it says a lot to me about how you treat and feel about omegas, things that I agree with." 

Donghyuck was completely, utterly shocked. Donghyuck did like to think he was very respectful of omegas. He loved them, liked them far more than most alphas, and they were just as much an important part of the pack as any alpha, no matter what some of the stupid bullies at his school thought. But he never thought this would be what got him a nomination for Head alpha, especially with how Jaemin's spoken about his father. 

"And....Donghyuck, I know there's no proof of what happened over the past four days...but there are assumptions to be made. An assumption that Mark, your childhood best friend, had his first heat, and you took care of him. Even possibly mated him. Now....that may or may not be true. Again, I have no evidence. But, if what I just said was true...it says a lot too. That you would be mates with an omega who couldn't provide any power in the pack, or take care of the home, or bear your pups. Many alphas mate to have a housekeeper, someone to give them heirs and provide...certain pleasures for them, someone with powerful parents to give them a social boost. But mating Mark gives you none of those things, at least not long term. All it gives is love. And believing that you mated only out of love says a lot about you to me as well." 

"Wow," Donghyuck finally spoke.

"Maybe some alphas wouldn't understand it," Taeyong continued, "But to any omega, or anyone who knows and understands and loves omegas, your nomination makes absolute sense. I became Head because of the votes of omegas. And you could too." 

Donghyuck thought it over in his mind. Up until recently, he hadn't given these rumours about his nomination even a second thought. Yes, everyone knew that Taeyong was beloved by omegas and kind to them as well, but Donghyuck didn't expect him to nominate someone of a like mind. He expected Taeyong to nominate the leader of those alpha bullies at school, or at least one of their ranks. 

But that was not happening. It was him who was getting nominated, and not for reasons he thought anyone would be nominated for. 

However...the reasons Taeyong was listing off to him were, in Donghyuck's opinion, the right reasons to be nominated for Head. And that was what made him even consider it. 

Maybe, Donghyuck didn't know how to get themselves out of this famine. But he knew how to love and take care of people. He knew how to defend against ty alphas and praise the ones that did do the right thing. He knew about betas; and maybe he could give them the pack support they needed. He knew he could protect the rights of omegas that were already in place, and maybe get them some new ones. Maybe, he could make sure what happened to his dad, what happened to Taeil and Doyoung and Sicheng and Jungwoo and Ten never happened again. He could improve on the progress Head Alpha Taeyong had started. 

There was always a chance he wouldn't win, even with the nomination, especially considering Head Alpha Taeyong's popularity at the moment. But even still...maybe he deserved it. The nomination and the win. 

With a deep breath, Donghyuck smiled. "Alright, Taeyong. I accept your nomination." 

Taeyong grinned back at him. "I'll announce at dinner tonight. And no, I won't tell Johnny and Taeil that you didn't come to the test hunt."

"Thank you," Donghyuck said quietly. 

"No, thank you. Now, I'll let you go. I don't know how much fun it is talking to someone's dad. Just, say hi to Jaemin for me, alright?" 

His last words were punctuated with a soft, sad look in his eyes. Briefly Donghyuck frowned. Maybe, there's was more to Jaemin's relationship with his father than Donghyuck always thought. "Will do." 

With a wave goodbye, Taeyong left Donghyuck alone at the rock, going off down the road, presumably back to the hunt. Once he was completely alone, Donghyuck let out a little screech: of fear, of excitement, of just plain nerves. 

He knew the first person he had to tell, racing down the road to his lover Mark's.

~~~~~~~~~~

On a different rock at the other side of the territory, Jeno and Jaemin were relaxing. 

Well, Jeno was relaxing. Jaemin was pretending to relax; in reality, anxiety was tearing up his insides. 

It was getting harder and harder, all the time. Harder and harder to separate this game, this plan from real feelings. Harder and harder to tell himself that Jeno was just a piece of the puzzle, not the end of the game. 

What was the hardest was the test hunt. He had spent the whole four days alone, going to school and in his room, locking himself away from the world. 

Why? Because he missed Jeno. And he hated himself for it. It was just four ing days and by the time Jeno came back, Jaemin felt like a mess. It had been too real when Jeno showed up on his doorstep, still dirty from hunting, just to say hello. He'd been so weak when he'd pulled Jeno into his arms without thinking. And Jeno had soothed him, cooed at him, telling him how sweet it was that his pretty little omega missed him so much, and once he showered they'd never have to be apart again, for quite so long. 

After the butterflies and the happiness of that hug and those kisses faded, Jaemin was left with a pit in the bottom of his stomach. 

Feelings. Disgusting. 

And now, Jaemin was terrified that the more time he spent with Jeno, the harder breaking things off would be. But if he distanced himself too much, Jeno would know something was up. And Jaemin wasn't ready to end things, just yet. 

He could pretend he was biding his time to have Jeno fall harder, but the truth was he was procrastinating. He, really, didn't want to. It would hurt him so bad. It would hurt Jeno so bad. Yet, that was the whole point. 

"I missed you so much on the test hunt," Jeno mumbled lowly, for Jaemin's ears only, just the thoughts that were on Jeno's mind. 

"Me too," Jaemin said, lying to himself that he was lying. 

"It was really boring. We all just hunted while Head Alpha Taeyong watched. And then when it was time to eat and sleep we talked about what it means to be an alpha and all that. Everyone was so ignorant, you know? It was especially bad since Donghyuck wasn't even there...I only had Renjun. And he's nice and so wonderful and great, but another alpha buffer would've been cool too." 

Donghyuck. Now that was something Jaemin really didn't want to think about. His best friend in the whole wide world was clearly lying about something very important. Well, Jaemin was lying too, so it was only fair. But it hurt him to think that maybe all of this was hurting their friendship. 

But maybe, once Jaemin broke things off with Jeno, everything would go back to normal. He would feel some power and he and Donghyuck would laugh about it while Donghyuck fessed up to what was happening with him. Life would still be ty but that was the point, right? That was how it was supposed to be. 

Maybe, there could be a perfect world. A world where Jeno was his mate but Donghyuck was still his best friend, and they told each other everything again, and things just made sense. 

But perfect worlds didn't exist. Jaemin knew it well.