three.

What It Means to be Me

It was another average day in Donghyuck's life. 

The cold weather pressed on his skin, almost stinging as he made the walk from Jaemin's cabin to Mark's. School had been fine, talking to Jaemin had been fine, and now this would be fine. He wouldn't get to see Mark but he would try, and things would carry on, same as they always did. 

This was his life. A life of secrets, a life of just okay, a life of pretending things were better. A life of hoping things could change and be better, but not holding out for it.

Donghyuck reached Mark's front door and knocked. Nothing, of course. That was to be expected. 

A second knock, nothing. 

A third knock, and a pause. 

But as Donghyuck pressed his ear against the door he couldn't even hear someone walking around. 

His eyebrows furrowed; that was unusual. 

A fourth knock, and then a fifth. Maybe Jaehyun was asleep. 

Donghyuck sighed. Still no noise coming from inside the cabin. 

Well, he'd give whoever was inside a few minutes. Donghyuck sat himself down on the stairwell in front of the door, leaning back to look at the slowly darkening sky. He couldn't stay out too long; if it was after dark his parents would look for him and that would lead to certain disaster. But he had some time. He could wait, and he would. As long as it took.

This was a new thing. Someone had always answered when Donghyuck knocked, even though it could take a little while. His stomach began to tie up in knots even though Donghyuck tried to keep himself calm. It was probably nothing. 

But it could be something. 

Maybe Doyoung and Jaehyun had finally gotten tired of Donghyuck's fruitless visits, figured it was him at the door, and decided to not even talk to him. Donghyuck could see why they would do that, as much as it hurt. Donghyuck's visits probably hurt Doyoung and Jaehyun too, reminding them that their son could not have a normal life and normal friends.

Or maybe Head Alpha Taeyong had finally called both of them for the hunt. Donghyuck knew Taeyong would be loathe to do such a thing; he was always very insistent on alphas taking care of their omegas and children. And he knew Doyoung and Jaehyun would be loathe to go. But things were desperate, so so desperate that Donghyuck would understand. 

Donghyuck took in a breath and stood up. If they were gone...that would mean Mark was in there alone, without anyone looking over him or taking care of him. What if something happened? What if his illness spiked? What if...

Donghyuck released that breath and gave one last knock to the door. Nothing. 

So, as if on instinct...his hand reached for the doorknob. 

It turned, easily, and opened. Unlocked. 

In the back of Donghyuck's mind he knew it was selfish and incredibly wrong to go any further into the cabin. But with this veneer of worry for Mark's safety he had an excuse and god would he take any reason to get one last glimpse at his most precious childhood friend. He didn't know how long he had; he didn't know when he'd have the chance again.

He walked deeper into the house. The wood creaked under his feet and it was messy, clothes and blankets strewn everywhere, but clean, and warm. Not a speck of dirt on the floor and the fire blazing hot; in fact Donghyuck thought another might be going it was so hot in that cabin. It had always been different from the houses of his friends and his own house, with no adult omega to keep the place like a typical mated cabin. But it was always a safe house for him and his friends. Donghyuck remembered visiting this place in his youth and his heart softened; the place almost hadn't changed a bit.

The only difference was the scent: it had always reeked of alpha; despite Doyoung's beta status his hunting kept the house very alpha. But now there was a hint of omega scent mixed in with everything, toning down the musk and masculinity. It immediately made Donghyuck feel more relaxed.

The fireplace crackled loudly and blazed bright, probably to keep Mark warm. Otherwise it was quiet, almost empty. 

Was Mark even in here? 

Donghyuck easily remembered where Mark's room was and slowly but surely walked towards its door. The door was shut but as Donghyuck approached, he could hear the soft sound of breathing, closer and closer. Someone was in here. 

He was in front of the door. Was he going to do this? 

Donghyuck's mind emptied itself as he pushed open the door to Mark's room. 

Mark quickly lifted his head from a book, Donghyuck's school textbook, he noticed, and dropped it into his lap out of surprise. Otherwise, he was silent. 

Donghyuck was silent too. 

This boy in front of him clearly was Mark, his childhood features still remaining on his face. Of course he looked grown up but he was skinny, way skinnier than he'd been as a child, disturbingly skinny. He looked gaunt and there were dark circles under his eyes. 

Donghyuck had always entertained thoughts of Mark being gone for other reasons. But it was so obvious he was sick, really, too sick to be in the public. 

His heart shattered and he turned around.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry, Mark, I shouldn't be here, I'm so selfish-" 

He made a move to leave. 

"Stop!" Mark cried, his voice weak, and Donghyuck whipped around. 

"I'm gonna get you more sick-" 

"No," Mark answered, more softly this time. "I...I think it'll be fine." 

Donghyuck knew it was wrong to stay. But how could he ignore Mark words; how could he leave Mark all alone, in this state? His feelings were a jumble of madness and if he wanted to get any clarity, he'd have to stay. 

So, ever slowly, he stepped in closer. Just one foot in front of the other. 

Mark just looked worse at less distance, layers of blankets covering him despite a fire going both in here and the living room. The room was very empty, just a window, a stack of books, and Mark's bed at the center, and it smelled distinctly like omega in this room. Nobody else in Mark's household was an omega, so he had to be one. It was weird, though, that the room was so empty; usually omegas enjoyed decorating. Mark must not have had the time, or the energy, to spruce up the room.

Mark's scent was beautiful, utterly enticing, but Donghyuck quickly pushed those thoughts away.

The omega looked down, almost shamefully. 

Neither quite knew what to say. It had been so long. So much had happened in those seven years, so much growing, so much changing. 

But despite the length of time, Donghyuck found himself feeling no less love for the boy in bed before him. 

"H-How are you?" Donghyuck managed to choke out, barely.

Mark chuckled. It sounded so sad. "Can't you tell?" 

Donghyuck had to shut his eyes and take a deep breath so he didn't scream. How could this have happened to such a sweet and wonderful boy? In what world did Mark ever deserve such a fate, who had only been just a boy when he'd fallen ill, who only ever wanted to take care of his friends?

"It's not so bad though. It's not so bad, Donghyuck. It's not like I'm...constantly in pain or anything. I just feel kinda sick all the time, you know? Like I always have a cold or something."

Donghyuck deflated a little. "You shouldn't have to live like that," he spoke softly. 

"I know," Mark answered, a twinge of sadness in his voice. "But that's my life. I've dealt with it for a long time now. I'm used to it." 

They both fell back into silence. There was so much to be said, so much unspoken, but they just couldn't get it out

"So you're an alpha..." Mark eventually spoke with a chuckle in his voice. 

"I know. I was as surprised as you are. In fact, the entire pack was as surprised as you are." 

Mark smiled slightly, the sight beautiful in Donghyuck's worn gaze. "I think I'm still taller than you." 

Donghyuck rolled his eyes at his teasing but smiled back all the same. "I'm pretty sure I'm the shortest alpha in the pack." 

Mark's grin grew and he beckoned Donghyuck nearer. "You can come closer to me." 

Hesitantly, Donghyuck took a step forward. Mark's eyes still watched him expectantly so Donghyuck stepped, further and further from the door, until he was beside Mark's bed. 

"That's better," Mark said with a smile. 

Now he was really close, and he could finally see the full effects of Mark's illness on him. But he was still beautiful. God was Mark still so, so beautiful, his scent almost overwhelming this close.

Donghyuck wasn't sure what was in Mark's mind but the omega boy looked him over quickly before his eyes darted away, a bit of color on his cheeks that hadn't been there since Donghyuck first saw him this afternoon.

"But wait," Donghyuck started, remembering himself. "Is this okay? What if I hurt you?" 

"Really, Donghyuck, it's alright," Mark answered, sincerely so. 

"Then...why did your parents send me away every day? Wait, do you even know..." 

"Yeah, I know." Mark looked away, back down at his lap. "I know you came every day."

Donghyuck looked away as well, not knowing what to think. "Oh...w-"

"Donghyuck, I...I'm just gonna be honest with you now; there's no point in hiding the truth if we've come this far." The omega sighed. "My parents have always said I should socialize more, ever since I first got sick. Kun said that I shouldn't be in big crowds, since that would just overwhelm me and leave me vulnerable to catching something. But he said it was really okay to have a friend or two over sometimes, as long as I could lay down. My parents really wanted me to as well; they don't think its healthy that I don't talk to anyone my own age. But..." Mark sighed, again. "I'm embarrassed. I was so, so embarrassed when I first got sick, and I still am, a little bit." 

"What for?" Donghyuck asked with concern, sitting down on the ground so he and Mark were eye level, instead of just standing over him. 

Mark sighed for a third time, taking a tense moment to answer. "I used to take care of all of you guys!" He cried, and Donghyuck winced at the obvious pain in his voice. "I used to protect all of you, make sure you were safe and happy. But now...now I'm weak. I can't do any of that for you all. I can't do much of anything. So...I'm embarrassed. It's humiliating being like this. And I didn't want you to see me this way, so I had my parents send you off." 

Donghyuck froze and made to leave. "I'm sorry-" 

"No, Donghyuck, please." Donghyuck looked back over at him. "Seeing you now I realize how stupid that was. Yeah, I...it's weird seeing you now; things were so different when we were kids, and they weren't supposed to turn out like this...so yeah, I'm still embarrassed. It was hard at first, especially when all of our other friends and their parents came to see me. It got easier, though, as I forgot about you guys, and how much fun we all had... it got easier to say no to you. But really I should never have stopped myself from seeing you. Things are allowed to change, I guess, they're supposed to." 

Donghyuck could read the tone of Mark's voice, so easily. He was embarrassed about being sick, yes, but he was clearly embarrassed about being an omega too. He was the Head of their little group, and as kids they all imagined he'd be Head of the whole pack. 

"Talking to you, though, has really made me realize..." Mark continued. "How much I missed talking to people my own age, especially our friends from back then. Especially....especially you." 

Donghyuck briefly looked away shyly before relaxing into his seat on the floor, resting his arms on the edge of Mark's bed, and his head on his arms. With a grunt Mark flipped onto his side, so they were facing each other. 

"Mark, do you remember when we were eight or so, and I promised you that one day, I'd take care of you? Just like you took care of me back then?" 

Despite Donghyuck's serious tone and gaze, Mark chuckled a little. "Actually, I do. Jaemin and I laughed so hard at you. You were just so tiny back then, but now you're all big...and strong..." 

Mark shook his head, trying to keep from getting distracted. Donghyuck grinned. "You two did laugh at me a lot, I remember. You didn't think there would ever be a chance for me to watch out for you, to protect you. But...now there is. Mark...I'd like to keep that promise. If you'd let me."

Mark gazed at him for a short while before slowly nodding. "Yeah...okay." 

No more words needed to be spoken on it. The two just looked at each other for a long time, taking in the people they'd grown into. Desperately, Donghyuck wanted to touch, to feel the softness of Mark's skin beneath the pads of his fingers, even just his hand or cheeks. But Donghyuck resisted, pushed the urge deep down. This was probably already a lot, maybe even too much, for Mark to handle. 

"Where are your parents?" Donghyuck suddenly asked, remembering his excuse for barging in unannounced in the first place. 

"Hunting," Mark explained. "Head Alpha Taeyong needed both of them. They wanted to send me to Kun's but there's no room, and my condition hasn't changed recently enough for someone else to be forced to leave for my sake. Anyways, there was a bit of a fear I'd catch something from the other patients if I stayed there." 

Donghyuck exhaled frustratedly; he didn't like that Mark had been left all alone. But at the same time, he understood. It was what he'd theorized earlier anyways, plus it was no surprise about the healing hut being closed. Cold weather plus famine lead to sickness spreading quickly and easily through the pack. Kun had his hands full; nobody was quite sure how he handled everything. 

"I get it...but I don't like that you were left all alone," Donghyuck answered. 

"Like I said, my condition hasn't changed recently. There isn't really any reason to worry. They should be home soon anyways." 

Donghyuck sighed and nodded; he wasn't sure if he wanted Doyoung and Jaehyun to find out he'd just barged into their house without permission. 

"How about your parents? When do they expect you home?" Mark asked. 

"They're pretty flexible; they don't worry too much since I'm an alpha after all. But if it's a while after dark and I'm not home they might start freaking out. Maybe they'd go look for me." 

Both of their gazes turned to the one window in Mark's room, shut tightly against the cold. It was fogged up from the freezing weather outside pressing against Mark's warm room, but both could see that the light was almost gone. 

They shared a disappointed sigh. Even though they knew Mark's parents would be happy to find out Mark had finally let a friend back into his life, somehow, they both got the feeling that this should be kept a secret. Maybe because they both knew that they weren't really friends, they couldn't be. What they'd rediscovered was different. But god Donghyuck was loathe to be parted from Mark, after all this time, and he could feel that Mark felt the same way. 

Slowly Donghyuck stood up, and the sorrow in Mark's sparkling wide eyes almost made him stay. But he couldn't. 

"Heading back out?" Mark asked, adding a chuckle to mask the pain. Donghyuck only nodded back. With slightly trembling fingers Donghyuck reached out to Mark, maybe to brush some of his black hair out of his eyes, maybe to fix the textbook on his lap, maybe to cup his drawn cheek or run his fingers over Mark's delicate hand, but he snatched himself away before he could do it. This was already too much, far too much. He shouldn't take advantage; he should be grateful for everything he'd gotten this afternoon. It hadn't been exactly how he'd expected, but it was everything he'd dreamed of. 

"You know...you can come back. If you want, of course." 

Donghyuck nodded again, momentarily too overwhelmed by anything to form a proper response. He turned around and made for the door until Mark spoke, his voice choked out and desperate. 

"Donghyuck, please come back," he begged, he pleaded, every emotion within him shot out into that simple phrase. 

The alpha teen turned around, his hands in his pockets, giving Mark the gentlest gaze he could muster. "Of course I will, Mark. I'll be here tomorrow." 

At that Mark slowly began to smile and gave Donghyuck the smallest, most adorable of waves. After a moment Donghyuck finally managed to return the gesture before ducking out as fast as his legs would take him. 

Donghyuck made sure he was a short distance from Mark's house before laughing out loud, breathing sighs of relief and joy and release, frustration and fear held in for so long that finally could be released. 

Mark was alright. Yes, he was clearly unwell, but he was alive and healthy enough to talk and laugh and just be near to Donghyuck. And their friendship wasn't hurt, they were still close; their childhood bond was too strong for any amount of years to have broken.

Mark was back in Donghyuck's life, and never again would Donghyuck let him leave it, as long as he could.