seven.

What It Means to be Me

Every single day Jaemin's wildest dreams were coming more and more true. 

He had Jeno in the palm of his hand, easily. It had taken practically nothing to get the shy alpha just absolutely crazy over him. And most of the time, Jaemin had the distance he wanted: able to flirt and have fun without getting attached, sticking to his plan exactly. 

Most of the time. As long as he didn't think about that day, when Jeno stood up for him so strongly without a thought to his own safety, so caringly, so considerately, Jaemin was good. Then he could keep his cool. 

It had become tradition now for Jeno to walk Jaemin home from school; with Donghyuck's weirdness it hadn't been a difficult tradition to create. But the more time they spent together the more they began to linger, to take the long route home from school, to pause and talk outside of Jaemin's house before he went inside. It was all just excuses to spend more time with one another, and it was exactly what Jaemin wanted. 

Now the two of them had a spot where they would sit and talk. It wasn't the same dark and hidden place he used to have with Donghyuck; that was sacred. So it was a new spot, glowing with sunlight, still a bit tucked away but not quite as hidden as before. Jaemin didn't feel the need to hide so much any more; as his power grew his shame began to dissipate. 

The two of them sat on that rock together, no real touching but clothed thighs pressed up against clothed thighs, deep in conversation. 

"What's it like living with such a big family?" Jaemin asked, feigning interest. 

Jeno chuckled. "It's...crazy. There's never a boring moment; something's always going on." 

"How many siblings do you have again?" 

"Six." 

"Six?

"Yup, I know. I swear my omega dad Jungwoo runs around more than my alpha dad Yukhei just because he's always going back and forth in the house. I try and help a little whenever possible, but it's a lot of work." 

"What are their names?" 

"So...I'm the oldest. Jisung's next but he's only a few months younger so we're kinda the same age. Then there's my sister Heejin; she just started upper school. Then there's Yangyang who's about to finish middle school, then Hyejoo and Yerim. They're twins and they're still in lower school. Things used to be much crazier before everyone started school, but back then....Yukhei had time to help us." 

Jeno and Jaemin shared a sigh; everyone knew that no adult alphas had time for their families since the famine started. Many families were already used to absentee alphas but with as many kids as Jeno's family had, it was detrimental. 

"Anyways," Jeno continued, clearing his throat. "I love them so much, so all of the chaos is kinda worth it." 

"It must be hard to be the oldest sibling." 

Jeno hummed. "You know...sometimes I don't feel like one of the siblings at all; instead I feel like parent number three." 

"Wow..." 

"But I don't mind it at all. My parents never put that role on me, instead I just kinda fell into it, because I like it. I like pups and I like taking care of people. I'm not the best hunter sometimes but I'm good at that, you know?" 

"Have people ever given you for it?" 

"That's why I don't usually tell people. But I've wondered a lot, like, why would I be an alpha if I have these care-taking urges? But, I realized over the years, I think any true alpha wants to take care of people too, you know? Only a bad alpha wouldn't want to take care of their omega and pups." 

"I agree," Jaemin mumbled, trying not to feel weird at Jeno's utter sweetness. 

"It must be weird for you though, being the only pup. Doesn't it get lonely?" 

Jaemin shook his head. "Never. I'm really close with my dad. We have so much fun together." 

"Head Alpha Taeyong?" 

Jaemin scoffed. "No way. I mean my omega dad, Ten." 

"Ooh." Jeno paused. "It's because of the famine too, right? I mean, if my dad is busy then I can't imagine what being Head Alpha is like..." 

"I don't think he'd wanna be close even if he could," Jaemin mumbled. 

"What? Why?" Jeno asked with real concern. 

Jaemin looked off into the distance and sighed. Did he want to talk about this with Jeno? 

Stop. Jaemin, you can't get this vulnerable. 

"Um...I don't know. It's whatever," he eventually answered

"It's not whate-" 

"I just think it's really cool about you and your family," Jaemin spoke over the alpha, trying to change the subject. He shouldn't waste this opportunity to flirt, give a compliment, plant the seed of mates for life in Jeno's mind. No time for his own bull issues. "I don't know any other alphas who would willingly do that kind of thing. It's amazing, Jeno. You're amazing." 

Jaemin could still see the concern in Jeno's eyes but he was smiling at the compliment, looking away shyly. 

"I dunno...it's just my life." 

"No, Jeno, it's exceptional." Jaemin scooted in a little bit closer, doing his signature move of resting his head on Jeno's shoulder. Somehow it still got the alpha shy, got him going. "You know...it says a lot to me. As an omega." Jaemin punctuated his words by looking up at Jeno. 

Those few words Jaemin just spoke said so much. Really, they implied a lifetime. And by the way Jeno shivered, by the way Jeno smiled, he knew what Jaemin was talking about. And it was what he clearly wanted. 

As Jeno looked at him, a little bit of a blush on his cheeks, Jaemin pondered the one issue he hadn't quite reached a decision on: when? 

When was he going to break this alpha's heart and snatch up the feeling of power he'd spent his whole life desiring? What would be the best time to get everything he'd always wanted? 

Soon? No, not too soon. Technically they weren't really together; they didn't know each other well enough yet, and not enough people knew they were starting to be a thing. It wouldn't hurt him quite enough. 

But they couldn't wait too long. If Jaemin shared a heat with Jeno, it would be all over. He knew dumping someone you had true romantic feelings for after heat was a cruel thing to do. And if Jeno gave Jaemin a mating mark....neither of them could carry on. Jaemin would be stuck with him, or if they broke up, those marks would always be there. Neither of them could have a mate again. Jaemin didn't want to do that to Jeno nor did he want to be stuck in that situation. 

So, it would have to be somewhere in between. Between official mating and a simple flirtation ship. 

Maybe...the promise. Where Chenle and Jisung were at right now. Being promised to one another, promising to share a heat, promising to become mates for life. But not actually going through with it. 

Now, that was perfect. Jaemin could get that feeling of power without taking things too far. Being promised mates...well all of that was just words, after all. 

"Jaemin?" Jeno called, pulling the omega teen out of his thoughts. 

"Huh?" Jaemin answered, shaking his head. He flushed a little; he'd totally tuned out of their conversation. Hopefully Jeno wouldn't be upset that Jaemin hadn't been listening. 

But he wasn't upset, of course he wasn't. Instead Jeno just smiled at Jaemin's absent mindedness. 

"Cute," he mumbled under his breath.

Jaemin slowly smiled at Jeno. To Jeno's eyes it would be shy, soft, and sweet, but Jaemin knew it was utterly sinister. 

It was working. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Every single day Donghyuck's wildest dreams were coming more and more true.

What a privilege it was to be able to scurry down to Mark's house after school and have the door be left open for him, to be able to enter Mark's room and gaze upon his perfect face, inhale his perfect scent, hear his perfect voice and learn the deepest thoughts in his perfect mind. 

Before, Donghyuck wasn't sure of what would happen if and when he finally got to talk to Mark again, but an inkling inside his chest always said Donghyuck would fall right back into love. That inkling had been right; he'd fallen quickly, easily, without question. 

The only issue now was where Mark stood. Donghyuck had a feeling that Mark felt the same, but he didn't want to presume or just have it sum up to wishful thinking. So Donghyuck still treaded slowly and lightly, waiting for Mark to give more of a sign about the feelings he held in his heart. 

But if Mark didn't feel the same, it was okay. It would always be okay. Even just a friendship with Mark would be worth the world. 

Donghyuck finally reached Mark's cabin and went in, no inhibitions, straight to Mark's room. The smile that bloomed on Mark's face upon seeing Donghyuck was an image the alpha teen would keep forever. 

As Donghyuck came closer to kneel beside Mark's bed, as he always did, he noticed the flowers he'd brought Mark a few days before on his bedside table. They'd been put in a vase now, filled with water, but the flowers were dead, each and every one of them. Picked flowers Donghyuck had always seen before lived longer, at least, he thought they did. But Mark still kept them beside his bed, petals brown and scattering around the vase, all the same. 

"Hi," Donghyuck said with a breathless smile, resting his head on Mark's mattress. As always, Mark his side to look at him. 

"Hi," he answered back, every shy. 

"You look pretty," Donghyuck mumbled. Mark immediately flushed and tried to hide his face, but Donghyuck could see he was still grinning. Just seeing him like this, Donghyuck grinned back. 

"Stop," Mark whined. "I look like ." 

"No," was all Donghyuck could answer. "No way." 

Mark made the most adorable face and sat up a little, clearing his throat. 

"How was school?" 

Donghyuck rolled his eyes. "Same as always. How was your day?" 

"Same as always." 

"Your dad's been staying home lately in the morning, right?" 

"Yeah. It's nice, to have the company. But it's not Doyoung who stays home, it's Jaehyun, so I think he's a bit embarrassed about having to stay home while being the alpha." 

Donghyuck sighed. "I know a lot of alphas felt that way but like...I never got it. I dunno about him but I'd much rather be here with you than out at school or helping with the hunt." 

"That's just you, I guess. I'm just glad at least someone feels that way." 

"I wish he just hadn't been so obvious." 

"I know, I know. He tries, he really does. And I know part of him does really like staying home with me but he just can't overcome that alpha instinct." 

"It's unfair. It makes you feel guilty for something you have absolutely no control over." 

Mark sighed back. "Exactly. Well...thanks for understanding." 

"That's what I'm here for. That's why teenagers have friends, so they can vent about their annoying parents." 

Mark giggled at that and Donghyuck melted a little, scooting in closer. Looking at each other, neither of them could just stop smiling. 

"Speaking of parents...what are you gonna do when you finish school? Are you gonna move out?" 

Donghyuck shrugged. "I guess there's enough empty cabins for it. But I think they want the company, with everything that's going on. And the body heat in the cabin." 

"True, true." 

"It'll be easy too. My life will basically just stay the same as right now, except instead of school I'll go hunt with my dad Johnny." 

"Isn't that a little..." 

"Boring? Yeah. Agreed. But with what's going on, what can you do? There's not many interesting things that can be done...and as an alpha, there's so little choice already as to what you do after you finish school. But with the famine the hunt needs every alpha they can get." 

"Well...what do you think you'll do once the famine is over?" 

"Ah, now that's a different question," Donghyuck answered. "I'll probably get my own place. I guess I'll hunt? But maybe I can try to figure out something else I could do as well. I don't mind hunting but...I do like a little more variety in my life." 

"That does sound like you," Mark answered with a smile. 

"I just get bored easily, especially with alpha stuff," Donghyuck explained. 

Mark looked away briefly. "What about..." He desperately wanted to ask Donghyuck about mating, if he had someone in mind, but didn't have the courage to get out and say it. 

"Ooh! Wait, you know?" Donghyuck started, a bright grin appearing on his face, not hearing Mark's words. "Maybe instead of your parents taking care of you, once the famine is over and everything you could move in with me in my cabin! Now that would be great, right? Your parents could visit of course but then they could hunt as they like and I could take care of you. I'd much prefer that, you know? We could take walks sometimes and I could show you all around territory; I bet you haven't walked around it in a while, right?" 

With each word Donghyuck spoke, Mark's heart broke a little more. It was obvious how just the thought of this future made Donghyuck beyond excited, and it was the future Mark wanted more than literally anything in the world. But it couldn't happen; it was impossible. 

But Mark didn't speak up yet, and Donghyuck continued on. "And then maybe since you're an omega you could decorate the cabin? Do you like that? I mean your room is kinda bare but I guess that's because neither of your parents are omegas...well, anyways, if you don't like that I could help you out. I think our cabin would be really pretty. And we'd always keep two fires going, just like in here, so that you could always stay warm and safe and comfortable. And maybe then since the famine's gone and all there'll be flowers growing again, right? We can go flower picking and put them everywhere so our cabin smells nice, and it's all pretty, Mark, just like you-" 

"Hyuck-" 

"And then maybe we would visit everyone, like all of our friends! Jaemin and Chenle and Jisung and Renjun. By then Chenle and Jisung might have kids, oh my god...but I just know they'll be so happy to see you, and-" 

"Donghyuck!" Mark almost shouted this time, and the alpha teen finally shut up. 

"Wh-what?" 

"That's..." Mark looked down and sighed painfully. "That's not going to happen. It's never going to happen." 

"You don't know-" 

"I do know. And Kun knows, and my parents know. I...I'm not going to make it that long Donghyuck. It's a miracle I've even made it this far in life." 

"But, if you've made it this far, then..." Donghyuck said, his speech growing in pitch, staring at the ground with shaking eyes. 

"Donghyuck, I...it's hard to explain but I just....know that I don't have very much longer. I'm not getting significantly worse but I've never gotten better, and every year I become a little more sick. Donghyuck, I'm going to die. And it's going to be soon." 

The alpha swallowed thickly and sat on the floor, unable to look at Mark's face. He'd always known in the back of his head that this was the way it had to be with Mark. But over these weeks it had been so lovely, so perfect, so right that Donghyuck had convinced himself it could be this way forever. 

But it couldn't. There was an end date to all of this and it wasn't the old age kind of end Donghyuck wanted. 

"I....I like having you around so, so much. You've made my life so much better. It's hard to imagine going back to being without you. But...if you don't think you can handle when I do....go away, then I advise you get out of this now, leave and don't come back. For both of our sakes, you know? We're only going to get more attached." 

Donghyuck finally regained the strength to look back at Mark. That wasn't an option. Of course it wasn't. "Mark, it's worth the pain of later to have you back in my life. I'll never leave, unless you want me to," he spoke. He meant every word of what he said, looking Mark deep in his eyes, just trying to convey every feeling in his heart. 

"I don't want you to get hurt though..." Mark trailed off, swallowing, turning his head away as if he was about to cry. "I don't want to mess up your life." 

Mark rubbed his eyes cutely and Donghyuck's heart broke, moving Mark's smaller, more delicate hands out of his face. Donghyuck didn't quite squeeze or hold them but he kept them in his hands, not wanting to let go. He was afraid it was too much but Mark kept his hands in Donghyuck's, a sigh of release coming over him, as if Donghyuck's gentle touch made him immediately more relaxed. 

"You could never mess up my life, Mark. Never. My life was messed up enough before you came back in it. You said I made your life so much better and really, you did the same for mine. No matter what, you've made my life better." 

The two teenagers just stared at one another for a while, searching, neither sure for what. But they could feel the chill and the darkness seeping in from the window into Mark's too hot room; it almost killed them. 

"I don't want you to leave," Mark spoke, just barely above a whisper, leaving his hand in Donghyuck's. 

"I don't want you to leave either," Donghyuck answered, using every muscle in his body to stop himself from crying.