thirteen.

What It Means to be Me

It was morning time the next day, and Mark finally felt a little bit okay. 

Yes, he was angry at Jaehyun and upset at both his parents and upset about their family situation in general. But now that his mind was a little bit more clear he could at least understand why his parents felt the way they did. He didn't agree with it, but he understood. And that was enough to want to make up with them. 

He didn't want to stay angry at them for very long. No, he couldn't at all. Not when he wasn't sure of the last time he would see them. 

Clearly, Doyoung and Jaehyun felt the same way because a few minutes after Mark woke up, he heard a knock on his door. 

"Come in," he spoke, his voice groggy with restless nights. 

In walked Jaehyun, followed by Doyoung. Mark's eyes widened; he was surprised to see both of them there, with the hunt and the famine and everything, at least one of them would normally be gone by now. 

"Yesterday we asked Taeyong if we could take some time in the morning. This is more important than anything," Doyoung explained when he noticed the shock on Mark's face. 

Mark hummed and nodded, trying to figure out how to formulate his words in the best way possible. 

"I...I'm gonna talk first." His parents nodded, so Mark continued. "Now, I have to be honest. Your...meeting story still makes me really uncomfortable. I get it, I wasn't there, but from an outside perspective...it's still really weird. But, I get that you two are happy now. So, what can I do. And of course you both have your flaws, just because you're parents doesn't mean you're perfect. We all have flaws. And I know you guys both love me and care about me so much. You've both gone above and beyond for me when...I dunno...an average parent would have cast me to the wayside long ago. And, well, I just wanna say sorry to you, dad, Doyoung. I shouldn't have said those mean things about betas. You shouldn't be...I dunno, banned from starting a family just because of your status. Betas go through a lot and I should've understood. I guess...I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm still upset about certain things, but that it doesn't mean I don't love both of you, and I know both of you love me. I just don't wanna fight any more." 

Both Doyoung and Jaehyun nodded, taking in their son's words. Finally, Doyoung answered. "See, Mark, I understand you, and that's why it's so hard. You can't really rationalize how Jaehyun and I got together. You just can't, and that's why we held off telling you for so long. And even though it hurt I understand what you said about betas too. I know where it came from. I just wanna say though...you being taken care of is not, some, I dunno, amazing thing. It's your right. It's what you deserve no matter what, it doesn't make us exceptional. We're just doing our job as your parents. I'm sorry that we've ever made you feel that's not the case." 

Mark swallowed and nodded. "Thank you," he mumbled softly. 

Jaehyun suddenly cleared his throat. Everyone turned to him. Although Doyoung was involved in Jaehyun was the stem of the argument, and Mark was nervous for what he was going to say. He really didn't want to fight anymore. 

"I'm sorry," Jaehyun finally spoke, his voice shaky, his eyes wet. Mark was in shock but he listened, closely. "I'm so sorry. I...shouldn't have acted like that, like I would have rather been hunting than spending time with my precious, precious son. It was so selfish and vain of me. I...I've always struggled with that, as you could probably tell from me and Doyoung's story....I've struggled with, like, breaking free of those alpha stereotypes. Every time I've succumbed to that it's hurt me. But I thought I had pushed past that, when Doyoung and I finally mated officially. I realize now that I haven't. So, I'll work on it, every day. So I can be better for both of you." 

Mark could see that Doyoung's eyes, too, were beginning to well with tears. The beta reached out to rub his alpha's back and it was so different from the other day, when Doyoung had to hold back Jaehyun's anger. Instead, he was comforting Jaehyun to allow him to bring those other emotions forward, the non alpha kind. And Jaehyun was succeeding in doing that, even without Doyoung's help. Already, things were better, even if it was just a little bit. 

"I love you, Mark. You're my everything. You're the best gift I've ever received. And, I don't want to fight any more either. But if this fighting could lead to me being better to make you happy, then it's worth it. But I want to just be good, now, the kind of alpha father you can be proud of. So we don't have to fight again." 

Jaehyun put his face in his palms, his body shaking with sobs even if Mark couldn't see it on his face. Mark gasped and Doyoung held Jaehyun a little closer. 

"We can't...we've...gotta make the most of it. We've gotta make the most of our time together and I can't waste it by being an ," Jaehyun spoke, looking away as he choked on his words. Everyone knew what he meant; Doyoung shuddered and Mark looked away sharply. 

"I love you dad, both of you," Mark mumbled. Really, he didn't know what else he could do in that moment. 

Doyoung led Jaehyun over to Mark's bed and the three shared a tight hug, as a family, closer than they had been in a long while. Mark couldn't forget everything that had happened, everything he'd learned over the past few days. But he could forgive, and that's what he would do. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jaemin still wasn't used to Jeno's affection. 

At this point, they'd been promised mates for a little while. And in all honesty, it was lovely: no matter what Jaemin said or did Jeno was still unendingly affectionate. Kissing his cheek and holding his hand and school, wrapping his arms around him and pressing their lips together and showering him with compliments and love after school, on their rock, alone together. 

It was nice. But he still wasn't used to it. 

Sometimes, it made Jaemin feel disgusting. He didn't deserve any of this, not a single bit, especially with what he'd do to Jeno later. 

But then Jaemin remembered why he was doing this in the first place. It wasn't about Jeno it was about all alphas, and Jaemin finally getting the power over them he needed.

Only then could Jaemin make himself forget. 

Even now, Jaemin still wasn't accustomed to it. They were sitting together on that rock, Jeno clutching Jaemin in his arms. He tucked a little lock of Jaemin's hair behind his ear and Jaemin winced, although he couldn't say why. 

"I'm so happy we're promised. Every day just gets better and better," Jeno mumbled. 

"I-I'm glad," Jaemin stuttered. 

Jeno hummed. "You know, we've gotta start preparing." 

"Prepare?" Jaemin pretended not to be worried to be worried by that. 

"Yeah! Like, if we're promised, then once school finishes we'll wanna move in together into our own cabin, and I don't know about your parents but my parents wouldn't like me just mating an omega they hadn't met before, plus my brothers and sisters are dying to meet you. You know, I hope this doesn't creep you out but my sisters Hyejoo and Yerim confessed to spying on you the other day! I told them to stop but I know it's because they just really wanna meet you." 

Jaemin stared at Jeno with his mouth agape, but Jeno just continued. 

"And, I know our alpha fathers are so busy with everything, but I stayed up late to talk to my dad Yukhei last night and tell him about you and find a time when we could all meet. He's so excited! He said he'll come home early tonight or tomorrow. So... do you wanna come to my house in a little while?" 

Jaemin was speechless, expressionless. 

"I'm sorry," Jeno said. "I shouldn't have just sprung that on you." 

Holy . Guilt pierced Jaemin like a knife and he felt sick. 

He leaned over the rock, clutching his mouth and shaking and he heard Jeno gasp, leaning to hold his arms steady. 

"Oh my god, Jaemin, are you okay?" 

Jaemin took three deep breaths, in and out, in and out, in and out.

He couldn't do this, , he couldn't do this. He had to break up with Jeno now, in a real sort of way. Oh my god, he couldn't do it. He couldn't follow through with his plan anymore. It was what Jeno deserved. 

Jaemin finally forced himself to sit up and locked eyes with Jeno, that worried gaze making its way into his soul. He looked back at the alpha teen, all concern and affection etched onto his face. And Jaemin's heart shattered. 

He...couldn't break it off either. He couldn't explain it, really, but he couldn't tell Jeno he didn't want to be with him anymore. His heart aches just thinking about it. 

Jaemin knew the truth, deep inside, that maybe some of Jeno's affection was returned. 

But he wouldn't acknowledge it. If he was staying with Jeno, he was following through with his plan. It would be worth it, so worth it in the end. He just had to stick by it. 

He took a deep breath. He'd wasted time already, he now had to figure out, quickly, how to tell Jeno he couldn't meet his family without losing his affection at all. 

Jaemin knew he couldn't meet Jeno's family. He would never forgive himself. 

"Are you alright? I'm sorry, do you want me to take you home?" Jeno spoke, clutching Jaemin's arms like his life depended on it. 

"I'm fine," Jaemin said, managing a gentle smile. "Just felt a bit sick for a second, but now I'm fine. I promise." 

Jeno exhaled, relieved, but still looked over Jaemin with a hint of concern. "Are you sure?"

Jaemin nodded. Now, it was time for him to make his excuse. "About our families meeting... Jeno, that's such a good idea! Taeyong's been super busy lately so I haven't told  him yet. And I haven't talked about us with Ten yet either because I just assumed he'd love you as soon as I brought you home." Jeno smiled and flushed at that, and Jaemin immediately felt relief. This was going to be okay, it was gonna work, he could stay on his plan, as much as he was starting to dislike it. "But I think I should talk to my parents about us before I meet yours." 

Jeno nodded in understanding, not a hint of unhappiness on his face. "That makes sense. Of course!"

"I promise I'm so excited to meet your family though," Jaemin lied. 

"Me too, me too. Actually, this might be even better! Maybe we could find a time when all of us could meet up? My parents, my siblings, your parents, and us. I know it would be hard for my alpha dad and especially Taeyong to find time but they could just stop by for a little while, right? Oh, and I promise I'd make sure my sisters didn't pester and grill you too much. Both our omega dads are close, right? From the old pack?" 

"Yeah, actually, they are," Jaemin answered. Ten was always an oversharer with his son, so Jaemin knew Jungwoo wasn't quite as close as the others from the old pack were (Taeil, Ten, Doyoung, and Sicheng). But they were still close nonethless...and that might not be a good thing. Jaemin didn't want Ten to know anything until his plan was totally complete, and gathering omegas were known to blab. He wasn't going to tell Ten about this yet, and if he could control it, neither would Jungwoo. "I would really love that though, a big get together. Everyone would have fun. Just...let me bring it up with my parents first, alright?" 

"Of course." Jeno quickly pecked Jaemin on the lips. "Seriously, I can't wait." 

"Me either," Jaemin lied, and ignored the warning in his heart. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Donghyuck was relieved when he saw Mark that day. There was still a shadow over him- there always was, even in their happiest moments. Donghyuck knew why it was there and why it couldn't go away: Mark's loneliness, his parents, his fate. 

But over the past few days, that cloud had seemingly grown darker and thicker over Donghyuck's head. Donghyuck knew there was a reason for it being there, and he could only do so much to make him feel better. So he tried his best, but he knew it was fruitless to some degree. Still, it hurt to see Mark suffering so much, so much more than he already was before. 

So when Donghyuck laid beside Mark, clutching him in his arms, and Mark returned his touch with a smile; a massive wave of relief washed over the teen alpha. He wasn't perfectly happy, he couldn't be, but he was much better. And that's all Donghyuck ever wanted for him. 

"How's it going?" Donghyuck mumbled into the crook of his soft neck. 

Mark hummed. "Better. So much better." 

"Did your parents apologize?" 

Mark nodded sleepily into Donghyuck. Donghyuck knew that for anyone, the release of such emotional tension would make them tired. But for Mark, who was weak as it was, it was utterly exhausting. Talking to Mark was lovely, of course, but if Mark needed to rest, Donghyuck was okay with that. Having Mark in his arms was more than enough. 

"We had a big talk this morning. I said sorry for the stuff I said about betas. That wasn't nice of me, especially knowing about Renjun...but my parents apologized for everything else. Jaehyun even cried." 

"A little?" Donghyuck asked in surprise. 

"No, a lot." 

"Wow..." Donghyuck mumbled. 

"Is it really such a big deal for alphas to cry?" 

Donghyuck nodded. "I don't think I've cried since I presented, or even a bit before..." 

"How long ago was that?" 

"Maybe, three and half years ago? I presented in the first year of upper school." 

Mark giggled. "That's when I presented too. Well, I mean, I wasn't in upper school, but I would've been..." 

"That's the average age, right?" 

Mark nodded. "The only healthy thing my body's ever done." 

Donghyuck pressed a kiss to the corner of Mark's lips, trying not to think about what it would've been like to be at school with Mark when they both first presented, realizing their statuses were compatible, that they could be together. How perfect that moment would have been. 

"Who was the first to present?" Mark asked. 

"Jaemin. Like, the day after he turned thirteen. Way early." 

"Oh wow, that is young..."

"Next was Chenle, but that wasn't for another year. Once he presented we were all so nervous; if Jisung wasn't an alpha... that couldn't have been good. I was after Chenle, and while it was super surprising for everyone, we were all too nervous about Jisung to think about it too much. Jisung was next; that was such a relief. And Renjun... I don't think any of us know when he really presented. It could've been any time we just didn't realize since he was a beta." 

"Wow... that's so interesting. I bet it would have been weird to be in school while everyone was so worried about presenting. Anyways," Mark continued. "I just wanted to say thanks for helping me yesterday. I don't think I could've had that conversation with my parents today without it. I really needed to vent to calm down, but...I didn't have anyone to do that with before you. And, thank you for helping me see their side more, and about their...getting together situation, and really about betas. I would never have thought about beta's situation otherwise. Just...thank you. You don't know how much it helped me." 

Donghyuck simply clutched Mark tighter to him. "I'm so glad I could help. You know, that's what a lover is for: to let you vent and to help you through things, to listen, to support." 

Mark shuddered and Donghyuck looked down to see him smiling, eyes shining, the stars locked in those brown circles.

"I'm so glad I have you," he mumbled tiredly. 

"And I'm glad to have you, Mark. You don't know how much you mean to me." 

"And you me." 

Donghyuck simply watched as they both fell quiet. He rubbed Mark's back as he always did. His skin was still a touch chilled but every time they met, he felt a touch warmer.  Donghyuck would never let himself go down that road, as it would inevitably lead to heartbreak and disappointment. But sometimes, his mind whispered to him that maybe, Mark stood a chance. Perhaps, with his love, Mark could get better. 

Mark's eyes had slowly fluttered shut before bursting open again, blinking repeatedly. He hummed and adjusted himself, trying to sit up a little more. But a few moments later, his eyes started to close again. 

"Cute," Donghyuck muttered. 

Mark whined a little and adjusted himself more, scrunching up his arms. Like a sleepy cub his eyes closed again, and Donghyuck snorted. 

"'M sorry," Mark mumbled sleepily. "I can't take a nap now. We can't waste our time together." 

"Mark, Mark, it's fine. You deserve to rest. I'll be here and I'll make sure to leave before your parents come home. I happy just to hold you, alright? It's not a waste of our time. It only is if you think of it that way." 

"You sure?" 

"Always," Donghyuck spoke, ever soft. And gently, Mark shut his eyes to rest. 

Donghyuck was simply content, to watch him, to listen to the sound of his breathing, to hold him close, to think about things as Mark got the extra sleep he needed. Donghyuck was utterly content.