prologue.

What It Means to be Me

Things were so simple when they were just kids. 

Anyone can guess how a pup will present when they grow up but when its not a sure thing, friendships can be made so easily, without the distraction of status. 

And that's how they were, sitting just outside the hut after school was finished, just eight years old, playing before it was time to go home. It was how they had been since they were babies, and how they thought it would always be.

"What are we gonna do over the weekend?" Chenle asked, squeezing Jisung's hand. Even at such a young age they had promised themselves to one another. After all, their future status was obvious: Chenle had always seemed like an omega and Jisung would clearly become an alpha.

The whole group looked to Mark for the answer. "Let's go to the lake," he responded. Mark was their tallest, their biggest, their strongest; their most obvious future alpha and definite leader. 

"Okay!" Donghyuck answered excitedly, smiling up at Mark. He'd been the biggest baby of the group but now, he was the smallest, always deferential to his best friend. 

"Won't it be cold?" Renjun asked, the status mystery of their group. "And what if there are predators? My dad said there's been a lot of tigers and lions around recently..." 

Mark stood up and crossed his arms, making the most fierce expression a little eight year old boy could. "Then I'll fight them off! I'll protect you all. That's my job, after all." 

"But Mark, they're lions. Even my dad is scared about that. And my dad is the Head," Jaemin answered, nodding his head. 

"Taeyong may be the Head but he doesn't know everything..." Donghyuck piped up. "Mark's strong." 

"Of course," Mark answered with a smile. 

"Jisung," A loud voice called. The boy perked up to see Jeno walking towards him. 

"What?" Jisung whined. 

"It's time to go home. Papa and dad want us back."

"Why? The house is always too busy! Don't they want us gone?" Jisung cried. The other boys chuckled. Jeno and Jisung's parents, Yukhei and Jungwoo, were notorious for having the most pups in the whole pack: four, and nobody doubted that more may be on the way. 

"You know how they are," Jeno answered.

"I don't wanna go!" 

"Come on..." 

With a sigh and a kiss to Chenle's cheek, Jisung stood up and walked over to his brother. The other boys just stared; Jeno had a different group of friends. 

"Bye guys!" Jisung said, smiling at Chenle. 

"H-Hi Jaemin," Jeno stuttered, ignoring everyone else. 

"Yo," Jaemin casually responded. 

Jeno flushed and looked down at the ground, and tugged Jisung off to go. 

As if on cue, another soft voice came towards them. 

"Chenlele! Renjunnie! Time to come home to daddy and papa!" 

The boys looked up to see Yuta, the typically tough alpha cooing at his two pups. Most of the pack would be shocked to see him like this but the group of pups knew he was always like this. 

"Coming!" Renjun said, grabbing his and Chenle's bags and running over to his dad. Chenle waved goodbye and followed after him. 

"Winwinie brought us yummy berries and we're gonna all make a pie together..." The remaining boys heard Yuta say to his children as they walked off into the distance, and eventually, his voice disappeared. 

Once Mark, Jaemin, and Donghyuck were alone, they all looked at each other. 

"How are you getting home?" 

"Dad's picking me up," Jaemin answered. 

"Ten or Taeyong?" Mark asked. 

"Taeyong." 

"It's really cool that even though Taeyong's the Head Alpha, he still picks you up from school," Donghyuck said. 

"If I'm Head Alpha, I'll do the same thing," Mark added. 

"What about you guys?" Jaemin asked.

"Mine too," Donghyuck added. 

"Johnny or Taeil?" Jaemin asked. 

"Both, I think. You, Markie?"  

"I'm gonna walk home." 

"Alone?" Donghyuck pouted. 

"Yeah. Both my parents are busy hunting, after all." Mark was the famous only child of Doyoung and Jaehyun, the only beta/alpha couple in their pack. 

"But what if you get hurt? Will you be okay?" Donghyuck asked. 

"Of course. I can take care of myself, just like I take care of all of you guys." 

Donghyuck looked shyly at the floor before staring up at Mark. "One day, Mark, I'll take care of you. I promise," he said, quietly but firmly.

Mark and Jaemin began to chuckle at the tiny boy and he humphed and crossed his arms, serious in his words.

"Alright," Mark answered, humoring the younger boy.

He had no idea how true Donghyuck's statement would end up being.