Chapter 5 - The Sooshu Story Pt. 1

Always By Your Side

FLASHBACK

HOW SHUHUA AND SOOJIN GOT TOGETHER

 

 

Shuhua POV

 

It was already 4:20 pm school had ended already. But I’m still sitting at the grandstand next to our football court with my laptop. People would assume that I was working on some papers or doing homework. But to be honest I am sitting here just to watch her. This is the time where the cheerleading team practices. On Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm and on Fridays they would train an hour earlier.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not like I’d come every time just to watch them stretch and tumble. I am a hardworking freshman at this school I don’t have the time for that. But if I do have free time, I like coming here in order to see her.

Seo Soojin. Since the first day of school I started liking her and I would always admire her from afar. My best friends Yuqi and Minnie are the only ones that know about it. But we all know that she is way out of my league. Even though she is a freshman as well she is already really popular in this school. She is beautiful, smart and an athlete. How could she not? Boys waited in queues just to talk to her. I mean at least they could. I have always been too shy to approach her.

 

“Hey there!” the voice of a boy suddenly brought me back to real life. I didn’t even notice that the practice had ended.

 

When I looked up, I saw a familiar face. It was Hui a senior. All I know is that he was in the football team. I saw him playing once when Minnie, Yuqi and I decided to go and watch the game but that’s about it.

 

“Uhm Hey?” I looked at him confused. Is he actually talking to me? He was one of the popular kids too. No one that would bother talking to me.

 

“So, what are you doing?”

 

“That’s none of your business. Why are you here?” I didn’t mean to sound so mean but I was uncomfortable with him being here.

 

“Wow. Don’t worry I am not here to flirt with you or anything.” He said in a defending voice while scratching the back of his neck.

 

“I heard that you are quite good in school. You always get good grades and so I wanted to ask you a favor.” He continued. He wasn’t necessarily wrong. Even though I only moved here two years ago. I tried my best to be good in school and worked hard on my Korean. It’s not perfect yet but it’s enough to get straight A’s in nearly every essay.

 

“I won’t give you any tutoring lessons.” I said and packed my stuff in order to leave. I bet Minnie is waiting at the dorm already. We planned to meet up with Yuqi who wanted to introduce us to her new roommate.

 

“N-No I don’t want tutoring lessons. I want you to help me write letters to the girl I love. Seo Soojin.”

 

“And why exactly should I be helping you with that?” I rolled my eyes. I wasn’t surprised at all. Everybody has a crush on her anyways.

 

“I don’t know…. Uhm maybe because kindness is a thing?”

 

“Yeah No thanks.” I said as I passed him.

 

“Wait! I’m going to pay you!”

I stopped in my tracks. I do need money. My parents stayed in Taiwan, so I always had a very limited budget.

 

“I’m listening.” I turned around to him.

 

“Y-yeah I can give you 50 Dollars for each letter you write for me. You would help me a lot with that!” he genuinely smiled at me.

 

“Oh, and I already tried writing one. Here” he handed me a crumpled piece of paper.

 

“Dear my beautiful butterfly Soojin, you are so pretty, and I like that very much. You smell like fresh pineapples in the summer. It always reminds me that I like pineapple juice. I know we are meant for each other so please go out with me…”

 

After I read it out loud, I looked at him in disbelief. He can’t be serious about this. It’s almost funny how bad this is.

 

“What do you think?” he asked me expectantly.

 

“Well uhm… just let me take care of it. But I really must get going. I’ll give it to you tomorrow.” I said and gave him a little smile before I turned around in order to leave.

 

“Thank you very much Yeh Shuhua!! I appreciate it a lot.” I heard him yelling after me.

 

*Beep Beep*

 

You received 50 Dollars from Hui.

 

I scrolled down and saw 3 missed calls, 5 messages from Minnie and 2 missed calls from Yuqi.

Oh, I am late. I picked up my pace and ran to the place where we were supposed to meet.

 

……..

 

“There you are.” Minnie said as soon as she saw me entering the ice cream shop.

 

“I’m sorry but I had to deal with something.”

 

“Yeah whatever but before you continue let me introduce you to my new roommate.” Yuqi said excitingly.

 

“Yeh Shuhua this is Jeon Soyeon. Jeon Soyeon this is Yeh Shuhua. Please get along well."

 

 

“Yah Yeh Shuhua! Wait up” I heard Hui screaming from behind me. I was on the way to my science classroom.

 

“Whatever u wrote, it worked. She answered. Here, take a look.”

 

Hey Hui,

Surprising to hear from you. Never would have guessed you can write a decent letter. I have received a few once but I really enjoyed reading yours.

……

Soojin

 

Shuhua smiled as she read the following lines.

And like that they kept talking. Shuhua would keep writing the letter for Hui. He would toss it into her locker. He never even read what was written. Shuhua didn’t like that Soojin thinks that he was the one sending her the cute letters. But at the same time, she didn’t want to stop because like this she was able to talk to her. Turns out they are really different but still understood each other like no one did before. Receiving her letters was Shuhua’s highlight of the day.uiHu

------

“Hui did she answer yet?” Shuhua asked the senior curiously.

 

“Yeah she did!”

 

“Great give it to me.”

 

“Nah it’s fine. She finally gave me her phone number. I’m going to ask her for a date now.” Hui said grinning to is phone.

 

“HUH? What? NO, don’t do it!”

 

“Why not? We have been talking to her like this for three weeks already. It’s time to get on the next level.”

 

“Dude! She is not some game. She was just about to tell me about her insecurities and how people act towards her just because she is popular. Did you even read her letter?”

 

“I kind of skipped through it. Something with people hating on her because she is hot.” Hui took out her letter of his pocket all crumbled up.

 

“Aish. Give it to me.” as Shuhua read the letter she started to sympathize with Soojins situation. People would only talk to her to gain more attention. No one actually cared about her and her feelings. Dumb girls would even call her names or write lies on the toilet walls just to put Soojin’s reputation down.

 

Shuhua made a mental note to end those es who dare to talk bad about her Soojin. She then turned to Hui

 

“Hui listen. Don’t you understand? All she needs right now is someone to talk to. Someone she can rely on. Don’t be just another flirt that is going to hurt her. Please…” Shuhua was on the edge of crying she really didn’t want Hui to date her but at the same time she wanted Soojin to have someone to talk to.

 

Shuhua blamed herself that she was too shy to go and talk to the cheerleader. They had many courses together yet Shuhua never had the guts to go up to her. She didn’t even know if Soojin knew she exsisted.

 

“Shuhua. I love Soojin. I don’t want to hurt her. I promise you. Thanks for helping me until now.” Hui gave Shuhua a smile before turning around ready to leave.

 

“You gonna need help.” Shuhua blurted out “You don’t know anything about her. How do you wanna talk to her. Let me help you.”

 

“I don’t have enough money anymore.”

 

“I do it for free.” Shuhua didn’t know why she offered to help him. All she knew is that she wanted Soojin to feel okay. Even if it’s not her comforting the girl.

-----

Chemistry class

 

Soojin sat in front while I sat at the back. Even from behind she looks flawless. Today is the planned date with Hui.

‘How on earth can I get him to only say stuff that I would. He is a friendly guy. He is just really dumb when it comes to talking. Headphones won’t work since he has short hair. It’d be visible.’

Shuhua thoughts got interrupted when the bell ring signing the class has ended. She took her stuff and hurried outside not seeing the empty bottle on the floor.

She tripped and all her belonging were sent for a fly.

‘Ah how embarrassing.’ The maknae hated to get unwanted attention. Now all eyes were on her as she picked up her books.

“Are you okay? Let me help you.”

‘This voice… don’t tell me’ the Taiwanese looked up and saw Soojin helping her picking up her stuff.

“Here Shuhua.” Soojin smiled as she handed her the rest of her books.

“You know my name?” Shuhua was clearly surprised.

“Of course, I know. We share a lot of classes together. It’s hard to not notice you.”

Shuhua wasn’t sure how to interpret her comment but her line of thought paused when her eyes landed on the letter Soojin gave to Hui that she kept between her folders.

Soojin followed the gaze of the younger and noticed the familiar handwriting. She reached out in order to invest it but Shuhua’s hand was faster.

“I-I’m ehm... T-thank you.” Shuhua stuttered before leaving the scenery with all her stuff.

‘.’