Chapter 1 - The new girl

Always By Your Side

In class

 

Minnie POV

 

'Tick Tack Tick Tack... and on and on. How come that fun moments always pass by so fast and boring things like this class just don't seem to stop? I genuinely think that this clock is not working properly. You cannot tell me that only 2 minutes have passed since I last looked at it.'

'Well at least we are together in this.' I thought to myself as I look to my right to see my dear friends Jeon Soyeon and Song Yuqi. They are dorking around as always messing with each other's stuff and giving me funny faces. I smiled at them knowing I have the best friends I could ever wish for.

Together with Shuhua, Yuqi and I went to the same middle school. We were so excited when we found out that we will go to the same high school too. In the beginning of our freshmen year we got to know Soyeon and throughout the year we met Soojin. We quickly became close and it's like they are my second family.

Shuhua and Soojin are in a diffrent class right now. Sadly, there is no class that all five of us share. I let out a small chuckle imagining how chaotic that would be.

 

 

*RING RING RING*

 

 

"Ahhhh finally, it's over. Let's hurry up I am starving!" Yuqi said as she started to pack up her things.

 

"Yah it's your own fault! I always tell you to eat breakfast before leaving for school, but you never listen." Soyeon said. She'd know since they are roommates.

 

"Breakfast claims valuable minutes I can spend sleeping in the morning. I'm just going to eat even more now so my daily intake can compensate." Yuqi grinned making us chuckle.

 

"Remember you only have 1 hour until recess ends. We better get going now." I laughed.

 

"Right! Let's go!" 

 

No ones's POV

 

They arrived at the cafeteria and sat down at their regular place after they got their trays full of food. Soyeon and Yuqi are now arguing about the food because the younger one wants to feed the other one some vegetables but Soyeon can't stand them, so they keep fighting until they notice Minnie somehow absent.

 

"Yah earth to Yontararak! Are you with us?" Yuqi observed the Thai.

 

"Huh? Oh yeah." Minnie said finally looking up to them.

She's normally bubbly and sweet but nowadays she is feeling limp, but she can't quite explain it. Doesn't every student feel like this sometimes?

 

"I guess I am just not in the mood to talk right now. No worries it will go away." the oldest continues giving her friends a small smile.

 

"Hm alright. When you say so." Yuqi said showing her friend an understanding gaze before changing the topic.

 

"Shuhua told me about a new girl transferring to our school today!"

 

"Oh really? When did she tell you?" Soyeon asked.

 

"Two days ago, or so... I totally forgot about it." Yuqi awnsered and went back to stuffing her face with Malatang leaving the sauce all over her face.

 

"Yeah and there goes my appetite." Minnie shoved her plate in front of her.

 

"But isn't it wierd that she is transferring in the middle of the year?" The girl with bangs grew curious since they are in their second half of their sophomore year. It's uncommon for people to transfer now.

 

"Maybe she got suspended for doing bad stuff at their old school. Something so bad that you have to leave the school immediately." Soyeon spoke out.

 

"Oh, I doubt that she is someone like that though." Yuqi shared her thoughts.

 

"How can you tell?" Minnie asked.

 

"I don't know... her name sounds nice. Cho Miyeon."

The name does have a nice ring to it Minnie thought to herself.

 

"I wonder where Shuhua is. We were supposed to meet up now in order to get our biology project done. Why isn't she here yet?" Yuqi said as she leaned back after finishing her meal.

 

"Maybe she just forgot about it. Wouldn't be the first time." the Thai commented.

 

"How annoying. If she is not showing up, she can do it by herself then." Yuqi tried to thread the youngest.

 

"C'mon we all know that you are too nice to actually let her do it alone." Soyeon teased the chinese girl while squishing her cheeks together.

 

Minnie couldn't help but smiled as she noticed the blush that formed on Yuqi's face at the sudden contact. Minnie knows that Yuqi has been liking the shorter girl but she didn't had the courage to confess yet. It's a secret Minnie and Shuhua promised to keep. Yuqi then pushed Soyeon away.

 

"Yah what do you mean? I can be scary if I want!" Yuqi hissed.

 

"No, you cannot. You are made of 1000% cuteness." Soyeon kept teasing the younger one.

 

Minnie chuckled at their little argument not noticing three figures coming from behind.

 

"Yeorobuuuuuuuun here I am! No need to miss me anymore!" You didn't need to turn around to see that it was Shuhua's voice echoing through the whole cafeteria now.

 

As they turned around a bright Shuhua was coming towards them. While the other two kept a little distance. One of them was Seo Soojin the shy girl that is in a relationship with Yeh Shuhua. She is like the mother of the group. Sometimes a bit cold at the same time nice and kind but she rarely speaks to people she doesn't know.

Minnie gave her a bright smile to let her know that she was happy about her presence which the black haired girl gladly returned. But the girl still wondered why they wouldn't come up to them. That's when Minnie started to analyze the girl next to Soojin who had their arms linked.

She is breathtakingly beautiful. Even though she is looking at her feet it isn't hard to notice her perfect features. Her brown eyes that will make you feel lost when you stare at them for too long. Her perfect nose every girl would envy. Her pinkish lips that look so sweet... and her flawless pale skin that looks so soft to touch...

'MINNIE SNAP OUT OF IT!' She is sure that she has been starring for too long. 'I think she didn't notice at all.'

 

"Yah!! You brat why did it take you so long? We barely have 10 mins until the recess is over and there is still a lot to discuss!" Yuqi yelled at her taiwanese friend.

 

"Shorry shorry but Jin-ah and I were busy showing Miyeon the school." She said gesturing to the two behind her.

 

'So, this is the new girl we talked about earlier.' Minnie tought.

 

"I'll give you a call after school so we can talk about the project. There is still plenty of time. No worries!" Shuhua calmly responded.

 

"Yeah ok whatever." Yuqi rolled her eyes on the maknae and then turned her focus to the unfamiliar figure next to Soojin.

 

"Hey over there! You don't need to be shy! I'm Song Yuqi, the coolest and the funniest among us. It's nice to meet you!" She said while standing up to face the new girl. The second youngest never had trouble making new contacts. She was indeed a social butterfly.

Soojin gave her a motherly smile before guiding Miyeon closer towards the group. With every step they took, Minnie's heart  started to beat faster and faster.

Soyeon was the next to speak up.

 

"Hi, don't listen to Yuqi. I'm the real coolest here. I am the one and only Jeon Soyeon. At your service." Soyeon slightly bowed.

Minnie didn't know why but suddenly became nervous like she had something stuck in . She couldn't speak. Which was weird because the Thai normally is not that type of person who gets all weirded out by meeting new people.

Soyeon noticed her friend struggling and quickly saved her out of this situation.

 

"This is Nicha Minnie Yontararak. Also known as Kim Minnie. She is quite nice I guess." Soyeon acted like she really hadn't anything else to say.

 

"YAH!" Minnie was suddenly able to speak again.

 

"What do you mean with 'I guess' of course I'm nice! It's great meeting you." The tall girl said as she gave Miyeon her great eye smile. Both of them started to blush when their gazes meet.

Miyeon then timidly smiled back at them and bowed slightly.

 

"I'm Cho Miyeon, the pleasure is on my side."

 

'That was the cutest smile I have ever seen.' Minnie tought to herself.

 

 

*RING RING RING* (end of break)

 

 

"Okay that is our sign to leave! Don't forget to call Shu!" Yuqi said loudly.

 

"Yeh yeh arasseo." Shuhua waved her chinese friend off.

 

They bid their goodbyes and headed to their classrooms. Yuqi, Soyeon and Minnie shared many courses together which was nice so they always had someone to talk to during class. But Minnie still hoped that Miyeon would end up in some class with her too.

 

 

Next period

 

 

Minnie POV

 

"MINNIE-SHI!" Mrs. Lee yelled.

With that I left dreamland and was brought back to real life.

 

"Wait what is happening?" I confusedly replied while hearing Yuqi, Soyeon and the whole class laughing.

 

"I see how good you pay attention Kim Minnie-shi. You better watch out. If I catch you one more time not paying any attention you will get an extra assignment!" Mrs. Lee said and then continued with her boring English class. I rolled my eyes on that. I'm already good in English I don't need the lessons anyway.

 

"Busy meeting Miyeon in your dreams?" Soyeon suddenly blurted out which caught me off guard followed by a smirk from Yuqi.

 

"W-what do you mean?" I chuckled while rubbing the back of my neck.

 

"Oh c'mon! When we were introducing ourselves to her, I literally thought about taking the boat on the way to the next class considering that your drooling could have formed Han river junior." Yuqi fronted me.

 

Soyeon was losing it at that point. Nearly dying while trying to not get noticed by Mrs. Lee.

 

"Stop it you guys! I was... just... curious?" I really didn't know how to talk me out of this situation. I mean they are right. I was thinking about Miyeon. If I will meet her again soon, if she will like me and if we can be friends or something... more? And why she transferred in the middle of the year.

 

"I really want to get to know her, ok? Is there a problem with that?" I continued.

 

"No, but make sure to bring a bucket next time you see her." Soyeon said causing Yuqi and her to break out into laughter. It was so loud that the whole class, including the teacher could hear it.

 

"That's enough!!! Detention for the both of you!" Mrs. Lee hissed.

 

I smiled in triumph as that kept them quiet for the rest of the lesson so I could piecefully meet Miyeon in my dreams again.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So what do you think about it so far? I'd love to hear your thoughts!