Chapter 9

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Note: Not so thoroughly edited, sorry for typos 😁

---

On a warm day, when the birds are singing and when the skies are clear, Seungwan would stay at home. When she has no classes, she would spend her time playing her guitar, writing whichever words that come into her brain and turn them into a song. Sometimes she would bake and have Seulgi eat them. Sometimes she'd study in advance just for the heck of it. For today though, she cooked. 

 

"Seungwan, this is so delicious." 

 

They were at the Den, under the same big tree, overlooking the vast horizon with trees in line. Just recently, she volunteered to buy a wooden table for them to use. It's a public place but fortunately, nobody batted an eyelash for someone suddenly placing a table under one of the trees. 

 

"Thanks. It follows after its maker." Seungwan proudly directed her grin and finger guns at Joohyun sitting beside her. Joohyun returned her remarks with a laugh and commented saying, "Smug as always, Son Seungwan." 

 

In front of them sat the duo. They were chomping on the food that Seungwan prepared without stop. It almost looks like they were in a race of who ate faster. Seungwan tried cooking this Filipino dish that she heard of online and she was quite proud for preparing it well. 

 

"Unnie, you cook so well. Absolute wife-material." Yeri exclaimed with mouth still full of rice that came with the food. 

 

"You can cook plus bake. Daebak, unnie, what else can you not do?" Joy soon followed after chewing most of the food in . She raised the spoon that she was holding and added, "Although... I may have already forgotten how well you bake. It's been so long since you baked us that delicious red velvet cake."

 

"Yeah, wouldn't it be so nice if we tasted it again?" Yeri's tone was full of suggestive innuendos hidden by a voice of childlike curiosity. Seungwan could only chuckle at the two, endeared for their subtle request. 

 

"You can just ask me directly, children. I can bake it for you anytime." Seungwan noted as she is reminded that she's only been baking one type of cake these days, most of the time for Joohyun. She should start asking the duo for their favourite types so she could work on them later. 

 

"Yes! We'll be waiting 'til this week." Yeri screamed with once again, a full mouth. This did not go by unnoticed by Joohyun who was just silently listening to their exchange. Joohyun faced Seungwan but not before scolding Yeri for speaking with full. 

 

"Seungwan." Calmly, the eldest placed her spoon on the table. "You always let these devils trick you and give them what they want. You spoil them too much." Joohyun chided, as someone who is not easily pushed by the two youngest. 

 

"No, I do not!" Seungwan squealed in a high-pitched voice. 

 

"Yes, you do. You should limit your baking for when there's an occasion." 

 

Seungwan was pouting. Yes, she often bakes for them, but most of the time her intentions are for Joohyun to enjoy them. It just so happens that the duo eats the majority, if not all, of the cake she sends them. Joohyun doesn't have to know that she feels bad for not baking specifically for the girls in front. 

 

"If that's the case then we have an occasion today, mom." Joy smirked, stressing her word on "mom". 

 

"I don't have a daughter like you," said Joohyun with a glare. Joy shrugged and looked at Yeri. 

 

The two was mentally communicating with their eyes then Yeri turned her head towards Seungwan. "Happy Father's Day, Seungwan unnie!" This time Yeri made sure to swallow all her food in a big gulp before yelling her greeting. 

 

"Wait, why am I the father?" Seungwan asked with brows furrowed. 

 

"Duh. You're both our moms. We don't need to conform to heteronormative ideals for our family to work. I'm just saying we'll use that occasion for baking a cake." 

 

"Smartass." Joohyun rolled her eyes at Yeri's explanation. The girl had once again found a way for Seungwan to give in to their demands. 

 

"So?" Yeri probed, smiling creepily wide. 

 

"Okay, okay." Seungwan raised both hands as if in surrender before standing up. "I'll find time but I have to go now. Take care." 

 

The girls squealed in delight while Seungwan fetched her bag that was placed under the table. She had already told them that she wouldn't stay for long, wanting to spend some time alone. She patted the head of a Joohyun who was still in disagreement and waved two celebrating girls goodbye. 

 

"Thanks, unnie! This is why you're the cool mom!" Joy hollered once Seungwan was far away. 

 

"Excuse me? Am I not cool?" Joohyun frowned. 

 

"I see... you want to be the cool mom. I see you're slowly succumbing into the role of being our mom." Joy taunted Joohyun, bringing her hands together and placing her elbows on the table. 

 

"No, I am not. I'm just offended you don't think I'm cool. You both have to stop pushing this family agenda already." Joohyun mumbled. She's been annoyed at how persistent the duo were into assuming they were a family. It always happens when the four of them are together and she still isn't used to it. 

 

"Why can't you both just be together already?" Yeri spat back in desperation. 

 

"I don't swing that way, Yeri." Joohyun replied in a monotonous voice. She went back to focusing on her food and taking a spoonful. 

 

"What?" The duo was in sync in asking the question, both faces painted in a mix of surprise and confusion. On the opposite end sat the eldest, composedly munching while preparing for another bite. 

 

"You heard it. I don't swing that way." Joohyun said after gulping down most of the food she was chewing. 

 

"You're telling me—all this Bogum charade has been because you—" Yeri paused, gathering her thoughts. "—don't swing that way?!" 

 

It made sense now for Yeri now. Everything. She wanted to slap her unnie with the truth so she could see what she was seeing. "What the hell!" Yeri spoke loudly, abruptly hitting her table with her fist. She was just hit with a revelation. "I've connected the dots."

 

"You didn't connect ." Joy uttered threateningly, purposely finding Yeri's gaze to send her a message in another episode of their silent communication. 

 

"Language." Joohyun scolded Joy with the cursing but she seemed to not have heard, eyes still locked with their youngest. 

 

They stayed still for a while, creeping Joohyun out. They've always had this connection that made them understand each other well. It's like they're attuned to read each other's souls by just one look. 

 

"Let her find out on her own." 

"No, Seungwan unnie won't wait forever." 

"So?" 

"She needs to realise what she feels with our help." 

"No, she can do that on her own."

"Nothing will develop with how she is." 

 

"I've connected them." Finally, Yeri was the first to break the silence. Her brown orbs wore a determined look that had the desire to fight with the war in Joy's eyes. "Unnie! How could you!" Yeri was also first to break her staring competition with Joy to yell at Joohyun. She closed her eyes then breathed out deeply. She was preparing herself for a speech that she thinks Joohyun needed. Beside her, Joy wanted to drag her away from their unnie. 

 

"What are you saying? Don't tell me you're doing that whole speech method with me again." 

 

Joohyun was used to this. Yeri would close her eyes and the moment they opened, she would have spewed out some ridiculous nonsense about all sorts of things. One time, she had to endure 10 minutes of Yeri rambling why pineapple cannot and should never be a topping for pizza. She had to hear her speech only because Joohyun said she didn't care for the issue, because she also didn't care too much for pizza. 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter