Chapter 15

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

In Joohyun's world of black and white, she's always believed that hard work and patience brings good fortune. If you study hard, you get high grades. If you practice well, you can improve your talent. Hard work is progress.

 

In this case, if she brings just enough coffee everyday, she might just be allowed to finally talk to Seungwan. Joohyun is determined. Everyday, without fail, she's managed to buy coffee for the girl. Now, how is she able to do this without being able to talk to Seungwan? It may come in the form of an innocent-looking bear.

 

"Is this for Seungwan? That's great! I can give this to her."

 

Joohyun had no choice. Behind the high-pitched, jovial tone of Seungwan's best friend was a beast waiting to be taunted. So it could be free to put up a challenge that the bunny was not ready to face.

 

She'd have to manage seeing her on campus, always with a friend, walking to her apartment. Sometimes she'd see Seungwan with her guitar, a soft smile adorning her features. She brings it with her a lot these days. Maybe she feels more confident about writing music now. It's always so nice to see someone smile doing what they love. Joohyun sees her everywhere and she looks so busy every time. Not that her eyes search for Seungwan's whenever she's at their university. No, it's not like that. Her eyes are just sharp to notice the younger girl when she's anywhere near Joohyun's eyeshot.

 

Joohyun sees her everywhere yet she's not allowed near Seungwan. That's that. So here she is, inside a cafe after lining up to buy the same dark and bitter coffee Seungwan loves. According to Seulgi.

 

She doesn't even know why she's agreeing to this setup. She could knock on Seungwan's door without telling Seulgi. It's not like she's on guard 24/7. But somehow, she feels the need to be on the good side of the best friend. Like asking for her blessing.

 

Once she was done buying, she was ready to look for Seulgi but smiled when just on time, Seungwan's best friend arrived on the cafe's door like a lost puppy. Just how can she switch from being harmless to a scary bear when it's about Seungwan? She must have not noticed Joohyun looking at her. 

 

"Hello there." Joohyun started, claiming the attention of the woman who was squinting near the door, browsing through the menu. 

 

"Oh, hey, Joohyun unnie." Seulgi beamed, happy to see a familiar face so early in the morning. "I was just about to buy myself coffee."

 

One of the changes with constantly seeing each other was having Seulgi call her by her real name now. She figured they might be seeing each other more often and if she sorts things out with Seungwan, they might be part of each other's circles. No, it wasn't so Seulgi might think they're closer and so she'd go a little easy on Joohyun. 

 

Seulgi scanned the cup on her hand and suggested, "You know what, unnie? I think I like that coffee you're holding." She was grinning, reaching for the coffee Joohyun bought for Seungwan.

 

"What? No!" Immediately, Joohyun moved her arm. "This is for Seungwan. You're supposed to give this to her." 

 

"She doesn't want coffee today." Seulgi declared with a pout, shoving her hand through her pocket and searching for an object inside. With a small cheer, she excitedly waves her phone around, like finding it was the greatest feat. "Wait. Hmm." Seulgi was humming, scrolling through her phone. Joohyun doesn't know what the other was up to, leaving her with scrunched brows. 

 

"Ah! Here." The bear pushed her phone with the screen open for Joohyun to see the tweet of a certain user.

 

@wendywhosings

AHHHH I WANT BUBBLE TEA  !!!

 

"So... can I have your coffee now so you can give Seungwan her bubble tea and we can all go on our merry lives?

 

Joohyun's eyes slightly widened. "You're letting me give it to her?"

 

Seulgi's hand was reaching for the coffee and Joohyun, on the other end, was hesitant, thinking she may be being tricked. In one swift motion, Seulgi held the cup to snatch it with a little force. Letting a chuckle escape from , the bear mumbled, "When did I say you couldn't? You could've just insisted you wanted to give it yourself. But you let me every time."

 

The older opened , her  brain working its way to give reasons to how Seulgi made it seem like she wasn't allowed anywhere near Seungwan.

 

But nothing came. Dammit. She has a point.

 

"Anyway!" Seulgi declared with a clap that startled the older. "See you around?" 

 

Joohyun had failed to catch that the bear was already out the door as she was scouring through every conversation, wanting to argue how the younger made her not approach Seungwan. 

 

She wanted to distract herself from the implication her mind had conjured. That she was scared again.

 

A moment more and she remembers she's going to finally be seeing Seungwan. 

 

.

 

----

 

Joohyun's hands feel clammy. 

 

She was standing outside Seungwan's apartment door, on its front showing the number assigned to it. It was colored in gold, formatted in a pretty small size, too small for people with poor eyesight. She wondered if it were real gold. If Seungwan were bored enough, she could definitely afford gold numbers on her door. But why would she do that?

 

Why is she thinking about numbers on a door?

 

She wondered if she'd finally have the courage to simply knock on a door. 

 

Fidgeting, she lifted her fist, touching it on the wood in front. Her heart was pounding. Why was it so hard to knock on some damned wooden door?

 

She wasn't going to let this go to waste. She just has to gather her courage. With a puff of air and a small "Fighting!" she braved one knock. Too light to hear. 

Please log in to read the full chapter