Chapter 11

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Not much editing done, sorry for typos 😁

---

It was way past lunch time. For today, their university's cafe was filled. Students were in their own table, typing seamlessly into their laptops and sipping their third cup of coffee. Everyone was either too immersed on doing projects or studying for their upcoming exams. It was way past lunch time but the only thing that filled them were their heart-palpitating beverage because they weren't there for the food, no, they were there for the free internet and the cheap coffee. 

 

Except for one table. 

 

In a sea of caffeine-filled bodies with heads hung low and eyes carrying heavy bags was a bright orange light. Seungwan was on her phone scrolling on her account while eating her half-finished sandwich when she heard a squeal which almost made her drop her phone and effectively startle half of the cafe's population. "How are you and Joohyun?" the voice started. 

 

What was there for Seungwan to tell Sana? "Uh... I don't exactly get what you mean? We're friends." Seungwan tilted her head in question. 

 

"Yeah, I get all the friends thing, honey. That's it?" Sana asked. She was tapping her fingers against the table after wiping with a piece of tissue. 

 

Seungwan's brows furrowed. She didn't need to elaborate their friendship because that was exactly it. They spend time to eat together, laugh together, and to top it off– annoy each other just for the heck of it. "Yep, that's pretty much it. She's a great friend."

 

Sana was still tapping the table in front of her, this time faster, and was leaning forward. "Huh. Okay. Okay. Let's see. I have an idea." Fishing her phone out of her bag, Sana hopped off of her seat and sat beside Seungwan. She was grinning widely now, opening to speak, "We're posting a selfie together..." Sana drawled then trailed her line of sight toward the older's button-up. She once again, swiftly undid one button of her shirt. Tapping Seungwan's collarbone, she continued, "...And it's going to be on your account." 

 

Furrowing her brows even more, Seungwan responded, "Okay?" She didn't have any choice but to just let the orange-haired girl be. She doesn't know what had the girl this excited but she doesn't have the strength to oppose to her wishes now. Sana's spontaneous and sometimes unpredictable like that. 

 

Now in an easy smirk, the Japanese opened her phone and turned her back to Seungwan to lean on the girl's front. The older placed her arms on the back of Sana's chair to envelope the girl fully. Cheek to cheek, they smiled lovingly together. After a couple of shots, Sana seemed satisfied and did her plan in posting their photos on Seungwan's account. She was expecting the younger girl to return to the space in front of her but the girl had more to add. "Now we wait." 

 

Seungwan's brows drew together, perturbed by the giggles sprouting off Sana's mouth. "Wait for?" More giggles were heard and Seungwan could only sip her drink and check what Sana had recently uploaded for her. 

 

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the photos. Aside from the post's controversial "Late lunch with my honey 💙", she didn't notice that along her smile, one of her eye was shut in bliss. They looked like they were having fun, and if you squinted more you'd see how they look good together. 

 

Seungwan was knocked out of her staring when she was notified of a new comment. From user snminatozaki. 

 

"Wow, don't you look like my prince here, Seungwannieeeee ~ and I'm Ariel kekekeke 😘" 

 

So that's what she's been up to. Sana never failed to always fuel the burning rumours that had been going around campus and with this, Seungwan's almost too sure she'd be hearing more gossip and made up stories about them. Not that she would care, really. What's important for her was what her friends would think. Others don't matter. Besides, other than being flirty and fun, Sana was surprisingly understanding as a friend. She knew it the moment they first met outside of their shared class. 

 

"This is why you're not getting your girl, Satang. You're making her more confused of your intentions," quipped the brown-haired girl. 

 

Sana shook her head and gave a dismissive wave of her hand. "Oh, none of that today, please. This is about you. Just wait a little bit and hope I know what I'm doing." Seungwan sighed. One thing she didn't like, was how the younger seemed to put up a front with her. They were both in the same situation but Sana's has more chance. Still, the girl was rejected once but after that drunken night, Sana was always reserved when talking about her love life. 

 

"There you are again, acting like you aren't that affected," said Seungwan. Without fail, the Japanese was once again wearing her playful grin with a hearty chuckle. "Then that makes the two of us, doesn't it, babe?" 

 

Seungwan returned a scoff, "Please, I'm not acting—" She was stopped by her phone lighting up, showing its notification bar and a message from someone who she'd never admit made an organ in her chest quicken its pumping momentarily. 

 

From My Lovely Joohyun Unnie: Have you had lunch? Where are you? 

 

She was still halfway to her sandwich so that would mean she haven't had her lunch, right? She pondered on what to reply and if Joohyun had lunch too. Maybe she had free time and wanted some company. Seungwan was about to type for a response when she heard a scoff of disbelief. Sana was standing up, and on her way to sit opposite Seungwan she heard her mutter lowly, "Where are you my ." 

 

Seungwan had forgotten for a moment that she was about to retort to a remark that the Japanese had said. She also forgot that they were probably close enough earlier for her to read through Joohyun's short message on her phone. Now, Sana was smirking with raised brows but hiding behind the glass she was drinking from. "What are you looking at me for? Shouldn't you be on your phone?" 

 

Oh yes. To reply. Dismissing the teasing glance shooting her way, Seungwan typed, "Still having lunch, unnie. I'm at the cafe." 

 

When she had her eyes on Sana again, the girl was quick to stop herself from smiling, sipping on her juice serenely as if she were sipping her tea. "Yah, what are you up to?" Seungwan uttered with eyes narrowed. Sana just shrugged behind her imaginary tea, oblivious to a figure on its way to grace them of her presence. 

 

"Hi." Joohyun said heavily in a breathy voice and nothing more, proceeding to slip into the seat beside Seungwan. Setting her gaze on the eldest, she observed the way Joohyun's chest heaved up and down, too fast for someone who was too calm inside the school's campus. Her lips were parted and her cheeks slightly flushed, her eyes focused on Seungwan's own pools of brown. Maybe this woman really wasn't human. It's only probably been five minutes since her text and here she was, with a presence so demanding Seungwan wouldn't be wondering how she's trapped hostage in a gaze she doesn't want to escape from. 

 

But she did escape from it. Because Sana was in a coughing fit. She probably sipped too much of her tea. With a cough of her own, Seungwan mustered to ask Joohyun a question. "So, have you had lunch? Would you like me to order for you?" 

 

"I... Uh," panted Joohyun. She closed her eyes and was still trying to calm her breathing. If she was going for being undetected in her shortening of breath, she was doing a poor job. So Seungwan chose to shift her attention to Sana who was once again sipping her drink and was probably smirking. Then she was winking. Then a snicker. 

 

Seungwan moved her foot to hit Sana's under the table. The orange-haired girl was being playful again and Joohyun may interpret her snicker as teasing. Which was true, but still. Better not to provoke the ice queen. 

 

"I already had lunch," voiced the goddess, back to her composed demeanour. She was moving her eyes back and forth between the two remaining girls. Sending Sana one last warning look, Seungwan regarded Joohyun. "What are you here for then?" 

 

Joohyun had her eyebrows creased. She looked offended which had Seungwan reevaluating her words. "No! I mean– why did you look for me and ask me if I already had lunch?" She asked softly, hoping her question came across as not offending this time. 

 

Joohyun's brows was still scrunched but now she was looking somewhere else, somewhere just behind Seungwan. The brown-haired girl turned her head behind her and saw no one. Seungwan realized the older was spacing out so she reached for her forearm which caught Joohyun's attention. She was surprised that the older didn't flinch, feeling a little proud for her apparent comfortability towards her touch. 

 

"I– uh, I came here about Sooyoung's party..." Joohyun said with a hint of an unfinished tone. 

 

"Oh! The party!" the singer exclaimed, turning to Sana. "The one I told you about, Satang. You should come." Seungwan invited, leaning forward and excitedly reaching for Sana's hand on the table. Before the youngest could react though, Seungwan was harshly pulled back to her chair by a palm that laid flatly against her chest. Their hands were disconnected before it even had the chance to connect. With eyes blown wide, she looked at Joohyun who icily glared at Sana then at her. 

 

So she does glare at Sana.

 

Did she do something wrong? Joohyun's face was now twisted into an unreadable expression and her hand was still very much pressed to her chest. Seungwan was worried Joohyun might feel her heart beating loudly just because she was surprised. It was because she was surprised. 

 

Joohyun's eyes travel to Seungwan's own then directly down her hand on the younger's chest. On a poorly concealed face of disgust, she buttons one of her shirt's circles. "Don't... w

Please log in to read the full chapter