Chapter 6

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

She's in her English class again. Thinking. When have I never overthought? Overthought? Is that a word? I wonder what Joohyun's thinking now. 

 

Wendy groaned. Joohyun again. All the damn time. Ugh. Ever since her and Seulgi's talk, she's been trying so hard not to hope. Focusing on other things has been good for her and she does not want to go back to how she was before. Right now, hope is a bad thing. Hope will only slowly kill what's been left of herself. Hope is evil pretending to be pure. Hope is what breaks people. Wendy doesn't want to be one of those people. 

 

"You know, you need to loosen up." Wendy was brought out of her thoughts when she heard a cheery voice beside her. It was her seatmate. This time her orange hair was tied in a messy ponytail and she was wearing a black top that was off one shoulder, showing one side of her bra strap. Her smooth neck and shoulder was highlighted, calling for everyone's attention. Alluring. 

 

"Like what you see?" 

 

Wendy coughed. Hard. Red tinted her cheeks as she gathered words to say. This is embarrassing. What did I just do? 

 

"You speak to yourself a lot, no?" 

 

Wendy groaned for the second time this day. This time out of embarrassment. She facepalmed and buried herself on her desk. She thinks it might be better to not show her face to the girl sitting beside her. 

 

A second later, she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Hey there, no need to feel ashamed. I talk to myself too," her seatmate declared while giggling.

 

"Ugh. Why is the world against me." 

 

"No, it's not. You're cute. But yeah, we all need to get out of our head sometimes." After hearing the words, Wendy lifted her head and looked at the girl with warmth still present on her face. "I'm really sorry, Sana. I'm not usually like this." She doesn't know what's happening with her, she's always been friendly towards people she barely knows. 

 

"It's okay. Like I said, it's cute."

 

Does she have any other adjectives for me? 

 

Wendy waited for a while, checking if she had said things out loud again. Realizing she didn't, she felt her body relax. 

 

"And you need to loosen up. You always look uptight when I see you." Sana stated her observation. After a moment, her eyebrows quirked, perplexed to see the other's face filled with relief. 

 

"I'm only uptight when I'm in this class and you only see me in this class," Wendy said. Sana stared at her knowingly, understanding that she's like this because of a certain raven haired that's on the other side of the room. 

 

"Can I be given the chance to see you in a... not uptight condition then?" The orange haired girl showed a playful smile after hearing Wendy's small laugh. This alleviated Wendy's nerves. 

 

"That was smooth. You're on par with my being greasy." Wendy moved to adjust her body to fully face the taller woman. She rested her elbow on her desk and the side of her head was placed on her palm. She felt at ease, enjoying the playful turn that their conversation has walked through just now. 

 

"Oh, I'm not greasy. I'm giving that to you but—" A pause, then a grinning Sana shifted to mirror the older girl's position. "—I am a good flirt though. You can give that to me." 

 

They stayed like that, eyes locked and smiling for a short while before hearing their professor enter the room. They both laughed and smirked after they lost eye contact. 

 

"See, now you're at ease." 

 

Wendy didn't bother to look back at the younger, only smiling gratefully then concentrating on listening at the lecture. 

 

---

 

The class was done and Wendy only had to fetch something at their club so she could go home. Packing her things, she has yet again felt another pat on her shoulder. 

 

"Do you have another class after this?" 

 

"Uh, no, actually. I have one small thing to do at the club's office then I'm going straight home to finish papers. 

 

"Busy for today then," Sana mumbled while doing small nods. "I just wanted you to know I was serious about seeing you outside of this class." 

 

"Oh, you were?" Wendy's body paused its movement to send a questioning gaze to the taller woman. She scratched her ear and continued, "Hmmm. I don't see why not." Adding a teasing smirk, she mumbled, "Greasy and flirty sounds like a good match to me, honestly." 

 

It was Sana's turn to still, eyes widening. "You're too at ease now, Wendy. I only wish that's a good thing." Her eyes were narrowing like she was doubtful of Wendy being relaxed around her. Her smile gave it away though, showing how much she was enjoying their banter. 

 

"You bet it is." Wendy swung her backpack to wear it on one arm and was about to talk more when she felt another tap. 

 

Why is my back so tappable today? Is tappable even a word? 

 

"Wendy." She looked over at Sana, whose eyes were trained on the voice behind her, only to turn around and see her ex-girlfriend. Wendy laughed inside. 

 

Ex-girlfriend. Hah! You'd have to be her girlfriend first before that. 

 

"Irene?" Wendy called out, waiting for a reply. The raven haired goddess' eyebrows were knitted, formulating her words.

 

"Have you seen Bogum?" 

 

Wendy frowned at this. There. She felt it—the pain. It was like a slap that she expected but did not see coming her way. She was having fun just now, she didn't want to handle this. 

 

Do I look like Bogum's keeper?

 

"How would I know where he is?" Her grip on her backpack tightened and she was still wearing her frown.  

 

"Don't you have his number and a phone where you could ask him yoursel—?" Wendy was cut with another tap on her back. 

 

Goddamit, who's tapping my back again?! 

 

"Uh..." It was Sana. Wendy's face softened as she waited for her new friend's next words. "I'll be going out first." She politely bowed at Joohyun then went closer to Wendy. 

 

Sana clutched her arm, one hand covering as she whispered close to her ear. Too close. "She's glaring at me again. Now I'm sure it's directed to me and not the two of us." Wendy didn't know what to reply, as she only looked at Sana in confusion then mirth, after seeing her wink then walk away. 

 

Then another tap. 

 

Can I get a break? 

 

"Wendy." 

 

"What?" She turned around again, to find an impatient looking beauty. 

 

"Why is your face like that?" Wendy was eyeing Joohyun strangely, she did not understand the emotions coloring the other's face. 

 

"Because I was talking to you." Oh. If she was being the idiot that she was before, she'd actually think Joohyun wanted her to solely focus on her. But she's armed and prepared herself enough to know the woman was just demanding. <

Please log in to read the full chapter