Chapter 3

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

English class. Yay. The one class Wendy had with Joohyun. She entered the room, observing some students sleeping. She was wearing her blue hoodie and a pair of jeans, her brown hair swept to the side. 

 

Wendy usually arrived a little later than Joohyun so she could sit beside wherever the older girl decides to sit. She often sits on the front right side, where space is always left for the two of them, as most students already know their situation. They're quite a popular couple pair. Still, she arrives a little late, so she could make sure to sit beside the one she was courting, just in case she sits somewhere else without notice. 

 

Now, she's five minutes early. And she's still seated at the front, but this time, she's at the leftmost corner, the opposite of where they usually sit. 

 

Listening to music from her phone that is tucked on her hoodie's pocket, Wendy lets the notes take her away, far from the confines of their lecture room. Glancing at the scene outside the window, she fails to notice someone taking a seat beside her. 

 

She was knocked out of her daydreaming when she feels a tap on her shoulder. 

 

"What?"

 

She failed to hear the other person talking, realizing that she hadn't taken her earphones off yet. Once she took it off, she asked the woman again, "I'm sorry, what was that again?"

 

She took a moment to process the girl beside her because she was simply gorgeous. Her orange wavy hair could certainly catch anyone's attention and her smile was dazzling. She had a bubbly aura that draws you in, giving everyone free invites to be her friend. 

 

"Hi! I'm Minatozaki Sana."

 

Japanese?

 

"Yes, I am Japanese," she giggled after seeing the shorter girl's slightly confused look.

 

I said it out loud? 

 

"Yes, you said it out loud," she giggled again, adding, "...cute." A certain blush could be seen on the brown haired girl's face after hearing the Japanese girl's statement. 

 

"Anyway, I was just wondering why you're on my seat."

 

Wendy's eyes widened. She didn't mean to steal someone's usual place, she just wanted to not be beside Joohyun for once.

 

The woman, Sana, may have noticed her slightly panicking so she quickly added, "No! I don't mean it like that–" her lips were tugged upward, a little amused with the other's reactions, "–I was just wondering why you're on my seat instead of... you know, where Irene is."

 

Oh. That was what she meant.

 

"Yes, I meant it that way. Or perhaps you both decided to sit on the other end of the room this time?" the girl inquired some more, eyebrows lifting in curiosity. 

 

Wendy mentally facepalmed, remembering to keep her thoughts to herself around this beautiful Japanese. 

 

"No, I wanted to sit—"

 

Just then a raven haired goddess graced the entrance of their room. Without sparing Wendy a glance, she settled herself on the rightmost corner in the front of the room and continued to arrange her belongings. 

 

"—here. I wanted to sit here," she returned her attention to the Japanese, explaining that she kind of stopped courting the Bae Joohyun now, thinking that there was no use in keeping it a secret. She hoped thought that Joohyun would at least be unsettled that she'd sat far from her now.  She knew the girl despised changes in her routine. This somehow confirms how she was never really seen by the older girl. 

 

"Oh... Well, you're welcome to sit here anytime with me, Wendy," Sana said with a wink then showing her perfect set of teeth in a fun smile. 

 

I guess I'll do better here with a very attractive new friend.

 

She succeeded in not saying her thoughts aloud this time. 

 

Unbeknownst to her, an icy pair of eyes were watching them from afar, mildly troubled with their current arrangement. 

 

---

"Uh, Wendy, do you happen to know why Bae Irene looks at me like that?" 

 

"Like what? And where? When?" 

 

Wendy was hit with a pang of jealousy. I wish she'd look at me too. 

 

"Just now. With her usual glare. Like I've done something to offend her, though I'm not sure if she's looking at me...or looking at us." 

 

Wendy looked past her seatmate, darting her eyes towards the woman they were talking about. She was intently listening to the lecture. Wendy scoffed, saying, "I don't think she'd ever look my way, Sana."

 

"Huh. If you say so." 

 

---

Bogum is the life out of Joohyun. In a bad way. 

 

The guy is trying. She's gotta give him that. They were eating at the campus' cafeteria and for the past twenty minutes, Bogum has only talked about how he successfully pranked and dared his friend into drinking a large bubble tea in one go, with the bubble tea containing chili powder. 

 

"...And then some of tea went out of h-his... oh gosh, his... n-nose!" Bogum said in between his fits of laughter, barely noticing Joohyun's uninterested state. 

 

She supposes that the story could be funny, and what Bogum did was fun. If only she knew or cared who the said friend was. She was sure Yeri and Joy was capable of pranks much evil than this and she was sure Wendy has been through so much more than Bogum's friend has. She could only imagine how Wendy would react had it been her that was pranked like this. She laughed a little at the thought. 

 

"Hilarious, right?" Bogum ended his story with amusement still present in his face.

 

He must've thought that I laughed at his story. Oh, dear. 

 

And... oh, dear. 

 

...Why am I thinking of Wendy? 

 

She's been seeing more of Wendy these days, without the girl actually following her around. Has she always been this active around the campus? 

 

A group of people was surrounding Wendy the other day, as she played her guitar and sang an original song. Joohyun had to stop in her tracks to hear her better. She had the most angelic voice that she forgot she had somewhere to be at that very moment. She never regretted arriving a minute late to class, panting, after running through the halls. 

 

She didn't even know Wendy led the same club that Bogum was a part of, Bogum being second-in-command. Bogum even invites her to accompany him to club activities and she accepts most of the time so she sees Wendy quite often. 

 

On top of everything, Wendy is one of the school's top students. She wonders how Wendy managed all of those the past year, considering she has made it her personal mission to attach herself like glue to Joohyun. She should be proud of herself. What she had achieved was not an easy feat. 

 

While deep in her thoughts, her eyes lead her to a pair of deep brown ones that she only managed to notice now. 

 

Wendy was walking towards thei

Please log in to read the full chapter