Chapter 4

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wendy was trying to avoid Joohyun. Keyword: trying. She has been occupying herself with every activity that she can find and she's even been extra active with her club. Unfortunately, that would mean she gets to see Joohyun often.

 

Rumours have been going around that Joohyun has finally adjusted to Bogum–easily accompanying him whenever he'd ask to, especially in his club activities. 

 

Tsk. And I had to beg her for a whole day to have a "meeting" at a cafe. 

 

Wendy often wondered why Joohyun won't enter their club. She's already participating in lots of their work and she's even more involved than some of her actual members. 

 

I guess things are going well for them. 

 

"Congratulations," she scoffed, speaking to herself.

---

It's a good morning. The sky is clear, weather is good, everyone's on their way to class and Wendy is in a good mood.

At least until she sees Joohyun slightly smiling while walking and talking with Bogum. 

 

Great. They're really hitting it off, aren't they? The guy has more chance. Good-looking. Popular. Kind... kinda. Overall good guy. Your girl's probably straight without you knowing. How dumb can you be, Wendy? Look, they look like they're in their own little bubble. And they're walking towards you now. It would help if you walked the other way.

 

But no, she didn't. Because she couldn't. She should've stopped looking their way too but she didn't. Didn't she just plan on moving on?

 

"Hey, Wendy!" Bogum smiled in recognition when he saw her. He was grinning from ear to ear like he won against Wendy. Finally, huh? 

For once in Bogum's life, he smiled like he won against Wendy. It wasn't a secret that campus hottie Wendy was head over heels with ice princess Bae Irene. And just now, it seemed that her lowkey rival, Bogum was too. 

 

"You look a little pale today," he concluded while swinging his arm over Joohyun's shoulder. When was he allowed to do that? Joohyun looks uncomfortable. She was about to call him out but she stopped herself. No point in sticking yourself in someone else's business. Especially if that someone does not want you to. 

 

"Ah, yeah, I didn't get enough sleep last night," she touched her nape awkwardly, it didn't help that she traced a hint of concern in Joohyun's features. "I'll be fine though. Thanks for the concern," she looked away, wanting to calm her heart after she noticed, in the corner of her eyes, the way Joohyun has been focusing on her. Like she wanted her to acknowledge her presence. "I'll get going now. Thanks again."

 

Not once looking at Joohyun, she was about to turn sideways and finally escape seeing Bogum's victorious eye smile when the girl caught her arm. It was immediately dropped like she had just touched fire after she realized what she had done. For a moment, Joohyun looked nervous, their eyes finally meeting. 

 

"You're coming to Bogum's party tonight, right?" Slowly, Joohyun moved out of Bogum's hold to properly meet Wendy's gaze, now wearing her indifferent facade but with eyes intently holding Wendy hostage. 

 

"Joohyun, didn't you forget? I invited Wendy to sing tonight," Bogum stated matter-of-factly. 

 

Still keeping Wendy's gaze, Joohyun regarded the guy. "You didn't tell me." 

 

"Well," he chuckled while trying to hold her arms, "I'm telling you now."

 

"Hmm." 

 

Joohyun was still looking at Wendy. What was happening? Joohyun was blatantly staring at Wendy. Like she wanted her attention all for herself. 

 

Holy . 

 

Wendy didn't want to look away. Things were escalating and getting intense by the minute. Joohyun's eyes were like the ocean, inviting her to come near, to let go, to drown, to– 

 

"Joohyun?"

 

Suddenly, they were brought out of their trance.

 

Wait.

Joohyun?

He calls her Joohyun?

 

Like being washed over a bucket of ice cold water, she was pushed back to reality. 

 

Yeah, Bogum existed. Haha. That sudden staring session got you hoping, huh? Get out of here already.

 

With a final glance and without a word, Wendy left the two alone.

 

---

It was an hour before Bogum's party and Wendy was still lying on her bed, overthinking about her past actions.  

 

Maybe I should ditch this party. No one's going to drag me out—

 

"Wannie! Are you getting ready?" 

 

"Ugh. No, Seul."

 

Her bestfriend gasped and hurriedly went to her side. 

 

"Seungwan! It's Bogum's party! You should be there."

 

"Why? It's not like the party's not going to start without me." 

 

"Because!" she exclaimed, lifting one finger up, "You were invited to sing tonight. And—" she trailed off, excited energy pouring out of her body, "—Joohyun's going to be there!" Seulgi was bouncing like a child who just got handed the biggest sweet at the candy shop. 

 

"Seul, please, you're forgetting something. Joohyun's with Bogum. I should be nowhere near as excited as you are right now." 

 

"But I thought you've moved on?" 

 

"I'm trying to move on. Emphasis on trying. Hence, I'm not going." 

 

"But do you really want them to know you're as miserable as they think you are?" 

 

"Why would they know?" 

 

"Because you never ditch your gigs. Right now, you are ditching your gig. And everyone's going to connect the dots."

 

"Even I know it's because Bogum's going to be sticking around Joohyun the whole night." She has a point. They've been friends for all their lives so she knows the bear can be oblivious sometimes. If she caught on Wendy's reason for ditching, it's for certain everyone's going to understand too. She processed the situation's pros and cons then went for a conclusion. 

 

"Okay. You win. Ugh. I hate this." 

 

Wendy stood up and proceeded to find an outfit. She'll be fine. She's going to rock this night.

 

I hope.

 

---

Maybe Wendy was looking for someone in the crowd. She's singing on stage, mic in her hand, and her brain unconsciously searched for a pair of strong eyes that she missed when she first got inside the house where the party was held. 

 

She was sporting a black long sleeved crop top paired with a black mini skirt, her fit figure displayed for everyone to see, along with her hard abs. Her brown hair was let down, gently swaying against the movements of her body. 

When she's done here, she's going to enjoy herself. 

 

Time to get wasted. 

 

---

 

Where is Seulgi? 

 

She planned to get wasted with her bestfriend but somehow she ended up drinking and very drunk alone in the corner of the kitchen counter. 

 

I need to go home. 

 

With a hazy mind and a blurry vision, she walked her way to the heart of the party where people from their university was in a cluster, dancing to the beat of a song

Please log in to read the full chapter