Chapter 16

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

"Come on, I think I've done well enough. You can't just end this easily. Don't you like me one bit?"

 

It's a fine Saturday when Joohyun decided she should meet up with Bogum. It's early in the morning, and Joohyun just wants to mope around or watch some useless drama, but she's put this off too long. When Bogum arrived outside ready to take her out, she immediately refused; she wanted this done fast, although she had expected it wouldn't be easy. 

 

"I'm sorry, Bogum. I still can't find it in me to return your feelings. I think it's best I ask you to end this." Joohyun muttered blankly.

 

"That's why I'm courting!" Bogum explained exasperatedly. "Really, it's fine. Take all the time you want. It's fine if we just go back to hanging out with each other and seeing where it goes." The man was basically pleading, holding on to Joohyun's wrist with brows scrunched.

 

Joohyun sighed. "This is where I'm seeing it go. Where I politely ask you to stop." 

 

Bogum's expression grew unreadable, feeling Joohyun flick her wrist away from his hold. Slowly, the raven-haired woman gestured to turn and leave, ready to bury herself atop her bed and blankets. She's going to spend the whole day going over what she's done so far and find ways to distract herself from thinking of a certain brown-haired girl. Good plan. 

 

Walking away, Joohyun almost flinched at the rugged grip Bogum suddenly had on her. It seemed he's not finished. 

 

"It's that woman again, isn't it? What do you all see in her?!" Bogum roared, face getting darker from the woman's words. If it were possible, his grasp went even more rigid to intimidate Joohyun into an answer. He is, after all, stronger than her. She knew perfectly well this man may not be able to hold his emotions, that she could end up being overpowered.

 

But Joohyun is far more distraught by other things going on that she can't just let this visibly faze her. She's not going to give Bogum the satisfaction. 

 

"Don't bring Seungwan into this. We both know this isn't working." Joohyun scowled, making use of every energy in her body to appear as calm as she can be when she knows this man can beat her to a pulp. " And stop that, please. It's getting tiring hearing you whine and blame Seungwan for every time you don't get what you want." She ended. 

 

Bogum stiffened hearing this, face holding back his rage as his jaws tensed.

 

"Let me go." She whispered in a threatening tone, internally hoping her terrifying ice queen exterior works on Bogum too. 

 

Bogum looked and backed away, eliciting an unconscious sigh of relief from Joohyun that the man had thankfully not noticed. 

 

With as much confidence she can gather, Joohyun strides away from Bogum, her shaking hands in front of her, hidden from behind. 

----

 

"Darling, what should we eat today?" 

 

"You choose. Anything's fine." 

 

Two voices could be heard, loud and clear across the room where Joohyun is secretly trying to eye. It's the same Wendy and Sana game, but this time Joohyun can't do anything but listen. Son Seungwan did ask to give her space. But they still had this same class, and she can't actually tune this whole conversation out. Not when she might be wanting to hear what they're talking about. 

 

"That's what you told me last time. Then you ate while pouting," Sana declared indignantly. 

 

"What? No! I did not!" Seungwan huffed in defense. Her eyebrows move angrily at her denial, plainly spelling her disbelief at the absolute lie Sana had just dropped. She supposed she could have been overacting a bit, but maybe she's a bit conscious when she feels someone's listening to their conversation. 

 

It wouldn't even take a genius to figure out that some unplanned plan is already brewing inside Sana's lovely head. Moving closer, Seungwan mumbles under her breath, "Stop whatever show this is you're doing. I know what you're about to do." 

 

She didn't know what Sana was up to, but she's not buying this; she knows it's because Joohyun's nearby. Plus, Sana usually decides where they eat, and she usually doesn't mind wherever Sana wants to eat. 

 

Seungwan did her best to appear threatening; however, their closeness only seemed to encourage Sana more. The older did not anticipate a pair of arms to rest around her nape and a whisper on her ear, "What? I'm not doing anything, Seungwannie. But—" She paused, then continued, "If I were doing anything, then I'd bet you're trying not to look at her right now, aren't you? You're trying to look like you're not looking at her when you really are. You want to see how she's reacting."

 

A couple of blinks and a hard bite on her bottom lip later, and Seungwan still can't find it in her to churn out a response. 

 

"Come on, wrap your hands around me, then come closer." If this voice had a face, Seungwan is pretty sure it would be smirking. She doesn't even know how Sana's bewitched her to do just exactly as she had said, as she hesitantly crawled her hands on the younger's waist. 

 

"Good girl," Sana mumbled while slowly letting her arms tighten around Seungwan. The older's mind was in shambles. She now had her own thumb moving up and down Sana's hips. She tried not to think of anything else, focusing instead on how they're draggingly swaying, Sana's head going lower to place itself on her neck. What good would it make if she stares at the window and continually deny, in her mind, that she was indeed looking at the window? Because right now, the window's pretty blurry, and her peripheral view is clearer, displaying a raven-haired woman reading her book. 

 

Seungwan vaguely sensed the other woman in her arms moving, her shoulders vibrating, when she notices Joohyun closing her book and sharply staring directly at her. She couldn't even pretend to not be stealing glances anymore, not when she'd immediately caught Joohyun's eyes the moment she felt she was being stared at. 

 

She felt her heart jump out of , prompting her to swiftly squeal, "." 

 

Seungwan had her hands grip Sana's hips to push her out of their embrace, when she noticed the younger's shoulders were still shaking, revealing a thoroughly amused Japanese. 

 

"Oh my god, you actually did it!" Sana shouts in a whisper. Her pearly white teeth were on display as she had finally let go to clutch on her stomach and have her head thrown back. Her laughter pooled as smoothly as the waves that drown Seungwan in embarrassment. Maybe because she didn't know why she followed Sana or because Joohyun caught her, Seungwan had no idea anymore. 

 

She just wanted to be buried alive right now. Right now. Because Joohyun's standing up, and she doesn't know what to react if she'd walk her way to them. 

 

Frozen to her spot, Seungwan looks over to Sana in a silent cry for help. Now, Seungwan was the type to keep things in when it gets too hard, afraid she'd only trouble those people she cared about. But right now, she wanted to scream she needed help, but her words seem to be playing hide and seek, a game she does not have the time to play right now. Joohyun's officially looming closer, and Seungwan just wished the ground would swallow her whole.

 

Thankfully, the younger had gotten her message and instantly wrapped her hands around her wrist to guide her out of the room before Joohyun could get anywhere near them. 

 

She wasn't sure if they were running, or walking fast, just that Seungwan was acutely aware of how her breaths came to bring her life the farther away they were from the room they walked out of. 

 

"What are you doing?" Sana nudges as the younger notices her stern look. She was knocked out of her stupor. 

 

Other people are walking by. 

 

Okay. 

 

She can see people with headphones on. Hear students laughing as they march to their next class. Feel the wind slightly touch Sana's hair.

 

Okay. 

 

What was I doing?

 

"I don't know." Holy , I don't know. 

 

"Of course you don't." A smile was etched across the younger's features, and Seungwan's trying not to analyze it deeper, if only to avoid seeing her look of pity. 

 

Of course, she hasn't fully figured out what to do. 

 

"Come on. Let's go." 

 

But maybe it's okay if she doesn't know what to do for now. 

----

 

It's another party. The semester's almost ending, exams are approaching, and people from their circle decided to throw a party because they need to "breathe" once in a while. Their version of breathing included getting wasted and inhaling alcohol as if it were oxygen.

 

Of course, this is total bull for someone like Joohyun; she'd rather stay home and review, plan what to do for her life, and think

Please log in to read the full chapter