Chapter 7

falling in and out
Please log in to read the full chapter

"—And I have the list of songs we could look over and then choose the ones we like best... Unnie?" The younger was talking to Joohyun but her staring at Wendy was getting agitating by the minute. The older girl was smiling, softly at that, but she appeared unfocused on what Wendy was talking about. 

 

"Irene unnie?" Wendy snapped her fingers, which caught the attention of her unnie. "Uh, yes, where were we?" Joohyun coughed a little, fixing her posture, her smile now becoming shy. 

 

"You asked about a song I could sing for Sooyoung's birthday." Joohyun opened and nodded, face brightening when she remembered the topic at hand. 

 

"Oh, sure. I could help you with that."

 

"What just happened to you?" Wendy regarded her oddly, curious about her spacing out. 

 

"It was nothing. You just looked excited singing for Sooyoung, so I felt excited too. I'm just happy and thankful that you care about them." The older put her hand over Wendy's, her smile full of sincerity and gratefulness. 

 

"Of course, I do." Wendy voiced earnestly. "They were my friends long before you were my friend, unnie."

 

"But you'd also put in this much effort for me too, right?" 

 

"I don't know about that..." The singer expressed, squinting her eyes and jutting her lower lip as if appearing hesitant. 

 

"Yah!" Joohyun shouted, peeved at the younger woman's answer. She playfully shoved her shoulder from the chair she was sitting on. Wendy could only laugh, reveling in the reaction she got from the other. 

 

Things were going well for Wendy. For the past few weeks, after that conversation, she made the effort of trying to start over her relationship with Joohyun. Clean. Without romantic intentions. The moment she decided to let it go, she actually found Joohyun pleasant. As a friend. 

 

It was nice, being on the receiving end of Joohyun's playful teasing, witty remarks, and childish pranks. It was everything she's ever wished for, back when she was courting the girl. She was far from winning Joohyun's heart, but she had gotten a glimpse of what it would be like to be an important part of her life. Driving the woman home from school was a normal occurence now, with Joohyun even ordering her to drive her home when she's too tired to commute. It's mostly Joy who invites her to their shared apartment but Joohyun is delighted whenever she visits. She even made Joohyun's favourite carrot cake for her when she asked. 

 

Their comfortability caused her to have more fun and less stress. She couldn't believe it but for now, she'd much prefer being platonically involved with Joohyun than anything else. After telling Seulgi about her "readjustment", the bear was neutral, saying being friends was good but moving on first was better. 

 

"Wan, you should really start questioning your life choices," Seulgi blurted with full of Pringles. 

 

"But isn't this good that we're friends, Seul?" She grunted, disbelieving her bestfriend's negative response. At this, the bear reached over her can and took a single chip to throw at her. "You're setting yourself up for pain! How about moving on first? My Pringles is precious but if it could knock some sense into you, I'd gladly throw you a whole can."

 

Wendy reasoned that being friends will certainly help her move on, to which the bear didn't bother to refute but just replied with, "Make sure I don't tell you 'I told you so' someday." She had promised, and so far, everything was good. 

 

Joy and Yeri's side was expected. They said no matter what, hashtag Operation WenRene was going to happen and nothing was going to stop it from happening, so they encouraged Wendy and Joohyun to be friends first. By now, Wendy has gotten used to the duo constantly pushing them together figuratively and literally, when they were given the chance. 

 

"Unnie, don't you think this is so nice? Wendy unnie cooking for dinner?" Yeri would ask. Joohyun, on the counter chopping some vegetables would reply, "Sure. It is nice of her to cook for us. But I'm also helping. Don't you see?" Joohyun looked back to the kitchen table where Yeri was observing them both, lifting her hand holding a knife to show that she was working on dinner too. 

 

"Exactly! Wendy unnie's on the pot and you're chopping vegetables. And we, your children, are waiting for the food! How romantic, how domestic, and just like a family!" Yeri giddily chirped, even putting both her hands together on her chest and tilting her head to the side. 

 

Wendy dismissed Yeri's dramatic spiel as she went near Joohyun to get the chopped vegetables. Out of nowhere, Joy appears to push Wendy causing her to stumble forward to Joohyun's alert arms. Once Joohyun caught her, the duo shrieked and screamed, their sound enough to fill the four walls of their apartment's kitchen. Wendy could only sigh at her so-called children's antics. 

 

To add evidence to the duo's case of pushing, this time figuratively, another example was now, where Yeri ditched them for no reason so they could be alone. Maybe also because she was too lazy to help them both on the thinking process. 

 

"I can update Yeri about the plans after this when I'm back at our apartment. Want to come with?" Joohyun questioned while reaching over to the opposite side of the table to drink from Wendy's hot chocolate. She had somewhat emptied her own cup while discussing the details of Sooyoung's party. 

 

And oh, they were at the cafe. The cafe. Wendy could only laugh. That feels like a distant memory now.

 

"Earth to Wendy?" Joohyun waved a hand in front of her. 

 

"Oh, no, I'm meeting Sana." 

 

And in mention of newfound friends, she also has Sana. Sweet, charming, and infectiously bubbly Sana. True to her words, Sana did see her outside of class. They've managed to be a little closer and Wendy couldn't be happier. During their first hangout, they immediately clicked. Sana asked where she felt most at peace and Wendy truthfully answered, "When I sing." She must have sounded so impassioned with her eyes glistening because the girl looked at her wearing a genuine smile, then she chuckled. "To the karaoke it is, then! 

 

After they sang, she would be tossed everywhere, holding Sana's hand as she led her to anywhere their feet could take them. She was glad, the girl taught her the concept of letting go. Of not thinking for once. Since then the orange-haired girl was even more flirty than before and in turn, Wendy was comfortably greasy around her. This has become their thing and their source of bond. 

 

Wendy was happier but right now, Joohyun was not happy. If one observed the raven-haired girl's face, they would be astounded. How could someone still look stunning even when her expressions are contorted in all the wrong places? 

 

"What?" Joohyun was visibly vexed. 

 

Wendy continued, "We're seeing each other." 

 

Joohyun can't explain it, but hearing what Wendy said sounded so wrong. She's seeing Sana? Why didn't she tell me?

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

 

"Why should I tell you?" 

 

"Aren't we supposed to be friends?" 

 

"Yes, we are friends but how is that related to what we're talking about?" 

 

"Then why didn't you tell me?" 

 

"Again, why should I tell you every little—" 

 

"This is a big thing!" 

 

Their conversation was abruptly stopped by a hand slamming on the table. Wendy was staring at the older, wide-eyed. 

 

"Unnie..." Wendy trailed, making sure the other person was a little calmer. Joohyun was wide-eyed too, realizing her outburst. 

 

"We're seeing each other today. Why do I have to

Please log in to read the full chapter