Chapter 9

Three Squared

Three Weeks Later, 2014:

            Three weeks had pasted since their Paris vacation and it was now the new year. Which they spent with Kiyeon and Jieun and Mingyu’s mother. Seokmin and Hana called via skype as Hana had just had her baby about a week ago, welcoming their baby girl Taeyeon. That was the first time Jeonghan had seen Seokmin cry, he was so happy for them. But he was also longing for the same feeling.

However, ever since new year’s, Jeonghan has been feeling quite nauseous. Jeonghan sat trying to figure out why he felt this way so suddenly. He thought back to the last time he felt this way, and that’s when he realized it. The last time he felt so sick was when he found out he was pregnant with Daejung. He felt his heart beat increase, and the sickness in his belly got slightly worse. It couldn’t be, right?

            So instead of telling Mingyu right away he decided to go purchase a few pregnancy tests from the hospital. The next day, while Daejung was taking his nap, he took the tests, one after the other. After he was done he lined all three up in a row and waited for the amount of time the box said. It felt like an eternity. The whole time, he played with the infinity necklace Mingyu gave him on Christmas, as if rubbing it for good luck. And then the timer went off and he almost jump out of his skin. He quickly got up to check them all and they all said the same thing, ‘Pregnant’. He couldn’t help but cry, him and Mingyu had such doubts and fear about him getting pregnant again, so to see it come to life was a dream.

            He tried to collect himself, as it was almost time for him to wake up Daejung. As he put the tests in a bag in the drawer of their bathroom vanity he noticed the baby onesie he left on the edge of their hamper and almost cried again. He really beat the odds, now it was time to make it to the end. Jeonghan had a slightly different feel about him the rest of the day, that even Daejung noticed.

“What’s wrong daddy?”

“What do you mean Daejung-ah?”

“You seem happier. And your smiling for no reason. It’s kinda weird.”

“Well, I just found out something today, something really great.”

“What is it? I want to know!”

“I’ll tell you a bit later okay sweetheart. I promise”

“Okay, daddy.” Daejung pouted.

            Jeonghan hated keeping secrets from Daejung, but he wanted to be absolutely sure this was going to go smoothly and also he wanted to tell Mingyu first. And so that night after dinner, Mingyu was in the bathroom, getting ready for bed when he opened the drawer where he kept the toothpaste and saw the bag of three pregnancy tests. He pulled them out, they were already taken. He flipped them over to reveal the side with the screen and saw the word, ‘Pregnant’ shown on all three of them. And as if one cue Jeonghan walked in after putting Daejung to bed and saw him in the bathroom staring at the bag of pregnancy tests. Mingyu turned to find Jeonghan standing in the doorway and big smile on his face and a small tear rolling down his face.

“Is this for real?” Mingyu asked trying to grasp the situation.

“Yes Mingyu-ah. It’s real.”

“Oh my god.” Mingyu breathed out running up to Jeonghan to hug him, letting Jeonghan cry on his shoulder.

“I can’t believe this. We actually did it.” Jeonghan said between sniffs.

“And we’ll go all the way. I know Doctor Hong said there are risks but I believe in us.” Mingyu said Jeonghan’s hair, “This proves it.”

“I’m so happy.” Jeonghan laughed through his tears.

“Did you tell Daejung yet?”

“No, I want to wait until we’re sure. Doctor Hong said after three months the risks become less likely. I don’t want to get his hopes up, as well as my own.”

“That’s the best choice. I just still can’t believe this.” Mingyu smiled.

“Me neither.”

            Jeonghan tiptoed to kiss Mingyu’s lips slow and sweet. Their dream of having another baby was becoming a reality, slowly but surely. Now it was just a matter of time.

            The next week, they immediately made an appointment to see Doctor Hong. They have built a very strong relationship with him, and trust his judgement. He’s also Daejung’s doctor so he been with them through a lot. By the time of their appointment Jeonghan’s nausea had gotten worse, at some points it lasted all day.

“This is a pretty common case even for women to have morning sickness all day, in some cases it can last the whole nine months. So this is nothing to worry about in terms of the baby. However, this can be a hindrance to your day to day life. So there are some pills I can give you to help calm the nausea some.”

“I don’t know about taking pills. My mother took pain meds with my sister and had complications because of it.” Jeonghan said thinking back to how he almost lost his sister.

“I figured that, most patients don’t go for the pill option. Another option is eating lemons or any sour foods. That can often counteract really bad morning sickness as well. So try that for about a week and let me know if it works, alright.”

“I’ll give that a try. Thanks Jisoo.” That was Doctor Hong’s first name, they’re just that close now.

Luckily after a week of using the lemons, his morning sickness was much more manageable. And the next three months went by as normal. Daejung had his fourth birthday party on March 23rd with everyone coming over of course. Plus, this is the first time Jeonghan and Mingyu got to see Taeyeon, Seokmin and Hana’s baby, she’s now three months old. And she was even cuter in person. She definitely had Seokmin’s smile. They didn’t tell everyone about Jeonghan being pregnant yet, they both wanted it to be a surprise.

He was now three and half months along. Jisoo predicts he’ll have the baby by mid to late September. So they didn’t have much time left. Jeonghan was also showing his belly, which Daejung did not fail to notice and point out as they walked through Ikea, once again looking for baby stuff.

“Daddy, your belly looks fat.” The bluntness of a now four year old.

“Daejung-ah its not nice to call people fat.” Mingyu said pinching his cheeks.

“But he does.” Daejung said poking Jeonghan’s belly.

“Hey Daejung-ah, how would you like to be a big brother?” Jeonghan squatted down to look Daejung in the eyes.

“A big brother? I’m going to be a big brother!”

“Yep.” Jeonghan smiled at how happy Daejung was.

“Yay! But why is your belly fat?”

“Because Daejung-ah, for you to be a big brother, I have to grow the baby in my belly first.”

“Oh~. Like a watermelon!”

“Yes Daejung-ah, like a watermelon.”

“Is that where all babies come from?”

“Yep.”

“But what about Jieun-ie? She doesn’t have a daddy, where did she come from?”

“Oh.” Jeonghan was not prepared for this conversation.

“Well, daddies and mommies can grow babies in their bellies. So Jieun’s mommy grew her in her belly too.” Mingyu said saving Jeonghan from sudden doom.

“Oh~~. So I can grow watermelons in my belly too?” Daejung had so many questions for them to be in the middle of Ikea.

“Not quite bud. Only some daddies can grow watermelons.” They found out whether or not Daejung could conceive at his last checkup.

“Okay.” Daejung said turning away from them.

It looked like Daejung’s game of twenty questions was over, so they continued their shopping finding a crib, dresser, shelves and other nursery essentials. I t wasn’t until at check out when Daejung asked another question.

“Oh, can I pick the name? Please~~?”

“Of course you can. What type of name were you thinking?” Mingyu asked intrigued Daejung’s question.

“Daehyun.”

“Daehyun is a boy name.” Jeonghan added.

“I know, but I want a little brother.” Daejung wanted a brother and he felt it would happen, and Jeonghan felt the same way.

“Me too.” Jeonghan said grabbing his hand as they left the store.