Chapter 4

Three Squared

The next six months went by pretty routinely, there were no surprises, no updates involving Lee Minseok, it was as if everything was back to normal. Although they knew it wasn’t. it was now late November and Kiyeon and Jieun were over for their usual weekend playdate. Daejung and Jieun were playing knights and princesses, one of their favorites. Kiyeon and Jeonghan were at the kitchen table “gossiping”, it was mainly Kiyeon since Jeonghan didn’t go out much. The only other people he talked to were Seokmin and Hana, and since Hana was less than two months away from her due date, he didn’t feel comfortable inviting them over. At the moment Kiyeon was ranting about one of her coworkers.

“She told me that I should find a husband, so I can be a better mom to Jieun. I mean, I feel like I’m doing my best, and Jieun says she’s happy with just the two of us, but I’ve always thought that if I got married again things might be better.”

“What do you mean better? From what I see you’re a great mom. Being a single parent isn’t easy and the decision to get married should be yours not someone else’s. Only you know what’s best for Jieun and yourself.” Jeonghan said reassuring, as he could tell Kiyeon was second guessing herself.

“I know but, what will happen later in life, when she asks where her dad is? I’m always dreading the day that happens. I don’t what her to feel like she wasn’t wanted because essentially that’s why he left, because he didn’t want her.”

“Well you wanted her, right?”

“Of course.” Kiyeon said thinking that was obvious.

“Well, that’s all that matters. What he felt and thought back then isn’t important anymore. It’s best that he left then instead of later, so she doesn’t have to experience a pain like that.”

“You have such a way with words.”

“So, I’ve been told. I’ve always been the counselor in my family, even my parents would come to me for advice. I just never took it myself.” Jeonghan still, even now, wishes he could go back and accept Mingyu’s heart that day, the guilt is still faint in his heart.

“What do you mean?”

“When Mingyu and I first met back in high school, he confessed to me and pursued me for two years straight but I rejected him every time. Then I got disappeared for three years only to meet him again at QM. I hated myself for those three years, the regret ate me alive.” Jeonghan paused to sip his coffee, “I always told my little sister to follow her heart no matter what when she would come to me about one of her crushes at school, but I didn’t take my own advice. I didn’t follow my heart, I ran in the opposite direction and I hurt the man I loved. But he still loved me after all that and for some reason that makes me feel even more guilt.” Jeonghan looked at his ring on his left hand, his most treasured possession. A sign that he was united with Mingyu forever, but there is still the feeling that he doesn’t deserve it.

“Now its my turn to give you advice I see. The fact that he waited three years for you is something incredible. He felt that much for you that he waited until you were ready to make that step, most won’t do that. But he felt you were worthy of his heart and he wanted to give it to you and only you, no one else. You are worthy of all the love he gives you, you should never feel guilty about being with him. You two are meant to be Jeonghan.” Kiyeon touched his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, he was so lucky to have a friend like her.

“Thank you Kiyeon. I needed those words.” Jeonghan smiled, and just then he heard two pairs of tiny feet running into the kitchen.

“Mommy, can Daejung come to my birthday party!?” Jieun said waving around her princess wand.

“Oh yeah, that’s what I meant to ask you Jeonghan. Jieun’s birthday is next Saturday on December 7th and I was wondering if you would like to come?”

“Please daddy, please!?” Daejung said jumping up and down.

“Of course, and Mingyu is off work that day so the two of you can finally meet.” Jeonghan realized a while ago that they’ve been in their new house for almost seven months and Mingyu and Kiyeon haven’t met yet.

“Great! It’ll only be us and two of my close friends so it’ll be very casual. I’ll send you the details tomorrow.”

“I can’t wait.”

Jeonghan was truly excited but for some reason nervous, Kiyeon wasn’t too different from most of the people Mingyu and Jeonghan associated with but she was quite unique. Her body was spotted with many tattoos and piercings and her hair was dyed a bright blonde. She had her own style and stuck to it, but Jeonghan wasn’t so sure how Mingyu would react. Most people he spent time around were pretty sophisticated, and Kiyeon was not that in the slightest. She was bold and loud when you got to know her and Jeonghan loved that about her, in a lot of ways she reminds him of Seokmin minus the her having tattoos and being older than him. Jeonghan was concerned about coming to Mingyu last minute about Jieun’s birthday party but he really wanted Mingyu to meet her, even if it was just once.

“How was your day Daejung-ah?” Mingyu asked, they were in the middle of dinner.

“Great! Jieun and Ms. Son came over again to play knights and princesses.” Daejung said, spitting rice on the table.

“Daejung-ah, don’t talk with your mouth full.” Jeonghan nagged, picking up the rice.

“You know hyung, I just realized I still haven’t met them.”

“Yeah, I noticed too. Which is why this is perfect timing.”

“Perfect timing for what?”

“Jieun is having her birthday party next Saturday and Kiyeon invited us to come.”

“Really? She’s turning three right?”

“Yeah. So hopefully if you don’t get called in last minute we can all go.”

“That’ll be good. I feel bad for not being able to properly meet them after all this time.”

“She’s sending over the details tomorrow, hopefully she has a gift list though because other than animals I have no idea what she likes.” Jeonghan said sipping his wine.

“Her favorite color is pink and she likes tigers, and bunnies and marshmallows and swimming and coloring and hide and seek.” Daejung suddenly said, still talking with his mouth full.

“Oh. Anything else?” Mingyu asked, clearly intrigued by how much Daejung and Jieun know about each other.

“She likes bikes too, but she can’t ride one. She realllllly wants one.”

“I think I know what to get her.” Mingyu said to Jeonghan, both thinking the same thing.

            Three days later, they got Jieun a tricycle for her to ride. It was pink with tiger stripes, with a pink bunny helmet and pads. They stored it in the garage and waited for Saturday.