Chapter 12

Three Squared

The next day, Kiyeon dropped Jeonghan and Daejung at the hospital on her way to work, Jieun at home with her babysitter. A nurse brought them to Mingyu’s room, he had lost about a pint and a half of blood by the time he got there last night. The bullet luckily didn’t go too deep in hi shoulder so, the wound should heal within a month.

“Dad!” Daejung cried as soon as he saw him.

“Daejung-ah. Don’t cry, dad’s okay.” He said hugging Daejung with his good arm.

“But you’re hurt. I saw you bleeding. It was so scary.” Daejung sniffed.

“I’m sorry I scared you Daejung-ah.” Mingyu kissed Daejung’s forehead.

“Promise you won’t get hurt anymore!” Daejung said looking him dead in the eye.

“Daejung-ah--.”

“Promise!”

“I promise Daejung-ah. Dad loves you so much, you know that right?”

“Yeah, I love you too dad.” Daejung said calmed down now.

            Daejung snuggled closer into Mingyu’s arm and before long he was asleep, clutching onto Mingyu’s shirt.

“He cried all night. He couldn’t sleep, neither could I.” Jeonghan said rubbing Daejung’s cheek.

“I’m sorry hyung.”

“Mingyu-ah, it’s not your fault.”

“I know but, I should have handed this better. I should have led him outside, I didn’t think about the fact that Daejung would have saw that. A four year old shouldn’t have to see and hear things like that.” Mingyu looked at the sleeping child in his arms, regret filled his heart.

“Mingyu, I don’t want you to live in regret. I’ve lived that life, and it ate me alive. Right now Daejung needs you to be strong, I need you to be strong. In less than three months, we’ll have a new baby, and it needs both of us. You know you’re not alone in this. I’ll always be here for you, always.”

“I’m so glad you are Jeonghan hyung.”

“You protected us, Mingyu. Thank you.” Jeonghan grabbed Mingyu’s hand.

“I love you hyung.”

“I love you too.”

            About two weeks later Mingyu was discharged from the hospital and was made to stay home from work for the next two weeks. And during those two weeks, Seokmin and Hana came over with their now six month old baby Taeyeon. They were all in the living room, minus Mingyu who was upstairs knocked out on pain killers.

“Hey Jeonghan hyung, how’s Mingyu?” Seokmin asked, watching Hana play with Daejung and Taeyeon.

“Great, he’s still in some pain, mainly when he wakes up, but he’s good.”

“I swear I’m getting gray hairs from worrying about you guys.”

“You and me both.”

“So, are guys okay? Like truly okay, I clearly see you’re pregnant again. Thanks for not telling me by the way.” Seokmin said sarcastically.

“You’re welcome Seokmin-ah.” Jeonghan smiled, “But yeah, we’re okay. Daejung took it pretty hard though. And Mingyu really regrets that. So do I, but living in regret won’t fix things you know. I just want Daehyun and the new baby to know that they’re parents will do anything to protect them.”

“They know hyung, trust me. You guys are excellent parents. Not everyone has to deal with the things you guys do, let alone with such small kids, but you guys survive it and come out better because of it.”

“Seokmin-ah, stop trying to make me cry.” Jeonghan felt his heart swell, he’s so grateful for Seokmin.

“Well, that’s what I’m here for. So do you guys know if it’s a boy or a girl yet?”

“No, we want to keep it a surprise.” Jeonghan said rubbing his belly.

“Any name idea’s?”

“Actually, Daejung is going to pick the name.”

“Oh really? That’s so cute. What name did he pick?”

“Daehyun.”

“That’s a great name, how did he think of it?”

“I never asked, actually.” Jeonghan said thinking back, so he decided to ask now, “Daejung-ah.”

“Yes, daddy?”

“How did you come up with the name Daehyun for the baby?”

“I was playing with my blocks and they fell on the floor and Daehyun came out.”

“Really?” Seokmin laughed.

“Yep!”

“Wow, talk about random huh?” Seokmin whispered.

“Yeah, but a cute random.” Jeonghan smiled, Daejung was the cutest thing.

            The next two weeks went by rather slow, not that Jeonghan minded. He spent most of the time babying Mingyu, changing his bandages, helping him get dressed and get out of bed as moving even a little made his shoulder hurt. Jeonghan was seven months along and Mingyu felt bad having him serve him all day.

“Mingyu you don’t have to feel bad. Because even if you weren’t hurt, I’d still have to run around after a toddler all day.”

“Yeah, but still.”

“Mingyu-ah, let me take care of you, okay.”

“Okay hyung.”

            Now Mingyu is back at work and their routine is back to normal. And today was playdate day. Daejung and Jieun were playing hide and seek, with Jeonghan and Kiyeon looking for them. Their house is not small, and there are a lot of places to hide. Kiyeon and Jeonghan had a pretty hard time finding them.

“Wow, playing this game makes me realize how big my house is.”

“Tell me about it. I need a break.” Kiyeon said out of breath, falling onto the floor.

“They sure are good at this game.”

“Of course they are they’re kids.” Kiyeon laughed.

“Okay guys, come out we give up!” Jeonghan shouted.

“Yay! We won!” Jieun yelling running towards them with her arms raised, Daejung right behind her.

“Where were you guys?” Kiyeon asked standing up.

“There’s a space under the stairs that I found, so we hid there.” Daejung pointed to the stairs that led to the third floor.

“You kids.” Jeonghan laughed, squeezing both of them in his arms.

            Jeonghan wished that everyday could be this way but knowing that Mingi and Lee Minseok were still out there planning who knows what. He knows this period of peace won’t last long, so he plans on making the most of it.