Chapter 2

Three Squared

As planned Daejung and Jieun had another playdate, this time they played a guessing game with zoo animals. Jieun was very smart getting almost every answer right, Jeonghan was impressed.

“This one is very hairy and ROARs very loud. And it lives in the jungle.” Daejung explained very animated.

“Oh, a lion!” Jieun was correct again.

“Yes, you got it right!” Daejung gave Jieun a high five.

“Wow, Jieun-ie is very smart.” Jeonghan complimented to Kiyeon as they watched.

“Thanks, she loves animals. One day I caught her watching animal planet, and that night she gave me a whole bunch of facts about meerkats. It was incredible.”

“That’s amazing, she remembered all that?” Jeonghan is even more impressed.

“Yep, she even told the other day she wants to be a veterinarian. I didn’t even know she knew what that was.”

“Here I’ve got something for you.” Jeonghan got up to walk over to the bookshelf and returned with a colorful book, “It’s a book on animals, it’s written for children. I think she’ll love it more than Daejung.”

A Baby in the Wild.” Kiyeon read the title out loud.

“Yeah, it tells about a baby who is traveling in the wild and gives facts about all the animals it sees.” Jeonghan tried reading this to Daejung but he was more interested in building blocks.

“This is so nice of you Jeonghan, thank you.”

“Your welcome.”

            Again Kiyeon and Jieun went home by lunchtime with Jieun clutching her new book in her arms a big gummy smile on her face. Jieun really was the sweetest thing Jeonghan has ever seen, next to Daejung of course. But seeing Jieun so invested in animals made Jeonghan wonder what Daejung wanted to do when he grew up.

“Daejung-ah, can daddy ask you something?”

“Okay!”

“What do you want to do when you grow up?”

“I don’t know.” Daejung shrugged not really bothered by Jeonghan’s sudden question.

“Really? There’s nothing you’re interested in?” Jeonghan pushed, maybe Daejung wasn’t thinking about it enough.

“Hmmm, I like food.”

“Food?” Jeonghan sighed.

“Yep.”

“Well, how about helping daddy cook lunch, yeah?”

“Okay!”

            Jeonghan pulled out a stool for Daejung to stand on so he could watch Jeonghan cook. Daejung helped Jeonghan make Modeumjeon, fried egg battered fish, shrimp and zucchini, Daejung’s favorite. He helped Jeonghan cut the fish and zucchini using kid friendly scissors and also helped him batter the foods. Jeonghan handled the pan. Daejung then helped make the sauce which was just ketchup and mayonnaise as well as set out the kimchi. After about 35 minutes it was all done.

“So, was cooking with daddy fun?” Jeonghan asked around a fried shrimp.

“Yeah, I like cooking! Can I help cook dinner too!?”

“Of course sweetheart.”

            Jeonghan felt proud, he thinks he just unlocked Daejung’s hidden love for cooking. He just hopes he doesn’t get bored with it. Daejung is one of those kids who gets bored with things very quickly, Jeonghan was hoping this would be an exception.

Later Mingyu came home, much later than normal, it was around 10:30 when he finally walked through the door. Jeonghan was up watching a late night drama, when he heard the front door slam shut, good thing Daejung’s was already fast asleep. Jeonghan quickly got up from the couch and went to the door to see Mingyu with his back against the front door, his eyes shut tight, like he’s about to cry.

“Mingyu, what’s wrong? What happened?”

“He’s out of jail. Someone bailed him out, hyung. I didn’t even know he got bail.” Mingyu’s voice was strained, he must have been shouting or crying, or both.

“That mean’s there are more people in the office who are on his team.” Jeonghan said suddenly feeling sick, he didn’t want to go through this again, they have Daejung now.

“What am I going to do?” Mingyu’s said finally opening his eyes.

“Nothing right now, but get some rest. You look dead.” Jeonghan could tell even in the dim lighting that Mingyu was drained of his color, exhausted.

“I can’t just do nothing hyung. We have a son now, and I’m your husband, Daejung’s father, I don’t have time to do nothing.”

“Well you won’t be able to do anything if you collapse from exhaustion Mingyu. I know how much you want to protect us, okay. But I need you to be alright too and right now you’re not.” Jeonghan said more stern this time, Mingyu is still stubborn as he was when they were teenagers.

“I know hyung. I just, I thought this was over three years ago. I didn’t want Daejung to be involved in this.”

“We won last time Mingyu and we will this time.” Jeonghan was now standing in front of him cupping his face, “Now let’s get you relaxed, okay.” Jeonghan pecked his lips.

“I’d like that a lot.”

            So, Jeonghan took Mingyu up to their room, and into their bathroom and drew a hot bath with lavender oil. He then helped Mingyu get out of his work clothes. When Mingyu sat into the bath, he visibly saw Mingyu’s muscles relax. About fifteen minutes later Jeonghan came back with a towel, and a sudden moment of déjà vu hit him as he saw Mingyu asleep in the tub.