Chapter 5

Three Squared

Saturday December 7th finally arrived. Jieun’s party started at 11:00am and just like Kiyeon promised it was very casual and very small. Two of Kiyeon close childhood friends and their kids came over Dayoung and Jeonghwa and their husbands, they each coincidently had twins, so there were a lot of small children running around. But Mingyu and Jeonghan didn’t mind, they both wanted to have another kid one day, and seeing the children playing made Jeonghan want them even more. Mingyu went outside to drink beer with the other guys, while Jeonghan stayed inside with Kiyeon and her friends. He felt more comfortable around them, than big brawly guys. He felt he was manly but since he could conceive he was immediately seen as the nurturer, mother symbol. But he embraced his masculinity and femininity equally.

“So Jeonghan, how has Kiyeon been treating you? She can be such a beast sometimes.” Dayoung asked smirking at Kiyeon.

“She’s been great so far.” Jeonghan joked.

“So far? Wow, so that’s how it is. You’re already playing along with their games, you three get along nicely.” Kiyeon laughed, Jeonghan never seen her eyes sparkle so much, she looked so happy surrounded by her friends.

“Well, it’s not our fault he can see right through you.” Jeonghwa added then suddenly becoming serious, “But for real, how has she been? She doesn’t like to tells us her problems herself so we have to ask others.”

“She’s great, she’s mainly been ranting about one of her coworkers Seulgi. She’s been prying in Kiyeon’s business a lot lately and it’s pissing her off.” Jeonghan explained, watching Kiyeon nod along to what he said.

“Oh that . I thought she got fired?” Dayoung asked clearly annoyed.

“She got put on mandatory leave for a week, but she came back as y as ever, she’s just more sneaky about it now.” Kiyeon sighed finishing her beer in one gulp.

“Everyone hates her . Seulgi went to our high school and she was the Korean Regina George before ‘Mean Girls’ was even a thing.”

            Kiyeon was three years older than Jeonghan, he being 28 already and her being 31. Even though there only three years between them, Jeonghan feels like there’s a lot he can learn from Kiyeon and he also feels like she’s suffered a lot more than she wants people to know. She won’t even tell her childhood friends everything and they’ve known Kiyeon for almost twenty years. He wants to know more about her, but he just doesn’t know how.

            By 2:00 the party was coming to a close and it was time for Jieun to open her gifts. She got cat puzzle from Dayoung and a swimsuit, as well as giant stuffed bunny from Jeonghwa, which Kiyeon was not as enthused about. Then came Jeonghan and Mingyu’s gift, Mingyu snuck it over about five minutes ago.

“Jieun-ah, are you ready for Daejung’s gift?” Kiyeon asked smiling almost as much as Jieun.

“Yes, yes, yes!” Jieun clapped.

            Kiyeon went around the corner and came back with the tricycle and bunny helmet and pads. As soon as Jieun saw it she screamed and ran to hug Daejung, it was the cutest sight ever.

“I always wanted to bike! It’s so pretty and sparkly and pink! I love it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“I remembered you said you wanted a bike so my daddy’s got you one.” Daejung said suddenly looking shy.

“I love it! Want to watch me ride it?”

“Okay!”

            They all went outside to watch Jieun ride her new tricycle, properly protected of course. Daejung and Jieun was all giggles and smiles, something so simple a happiness of children was so touching, so innocent. After a while, Kiyeon’s friends had left leaving only Jeonghan, Mingyu and Kiyeon, with Daejung and Jieun still outside.

“Thank you guys for buying her that tricycle. She’s been wanting one for months but I just didn’t have the extra funds to buy it yet.” Kiyeon said from the couch, watching Jieun outside.

“You’re welcome Kiyeon.” Mingyu smiled.

“You know, Daejung looks a lot like you.” Kiyeon aid as she examined Mingyu’s face.

“A lot of people say that actually, I think he looks more like Jeonghan hyung.”

“Really?” Jeonghan was truly surprised by that, Daejung looks so obviously like Mingyu they could be twins.

“Maybe the next kid you have will look like Jeonghan.” Kiyeon said suddenly, before her eyes quickly widening.

“It’s okay,” Jeonghan sensing Kiyeon’s panic, “We actually want another child. Our doctor suggested we wait three years after Daejung, we’re thinking about it now.”

“Isn’t your anniversary coming up in two weeks?”

“Yeah, it’ll be four years on December 21st.” Mingyu smiled at the thought.

“So, what are you planning on doing?” Kiyeon asked, toward Mingyu specifically.

“Uhm, I have something planned I think Jeonghan hyung will love.”

“Oh great another surprise.” Jeonghan didn’t want to go through this again, but this time he had no one to interrogate.

“I see you hate surprises, I’ll keep that in mind.” Kiyeon laughed.

            That night Jeonghan had just taken his shower and was getting ready to go to bed when he suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap around him. He then felt a soft warmth come over him, he practically melted into the touch.

“Hey hyung.”

“Hey Mingyu.”

“Kiyeon is really nice and her daughter is so adorable. Daejung and her are great friends, I’m so happy we met them.”

“Me too. This new home really feels like home now.” Jeonghan leaned into Mingyu’s chest, grapping his arms that were wrapped around him.

“I know you want to ask about the surprise hyung.”

“Of course I do, but will you tell me?”

“No, but I’ll give you something now.” Mingyu unwrapped his arms off of Jeonghan to go to his nightstand and pulled out a purple envelope, “Here.”

            Jeonghan took the envelope and was about to open it when he saw the words on the back, ‘Open on December 14th.’ Jeonghan let out an annoyed sigh, of course Mingyu would do this. But wait, why does it say the 14th, their anniversary is on the 21st.

“Why do I have to open it on the 14th?”

“Because, if I wait until the 21st we won’t have time to get ready.”

“Get ready for what?”

“You’ll find out on the 14th.”

            Mingyu gave Jeonghan a peck on the lips before going to take his shower, leaving Jeonghan in a state of severe confusion. What was Mingyu planning this time?