Chapter 1

Three Squared

Three Years Later, 2013:

Spending the past three years married and with their first child was everything they could’ve imagined it would be. With Lee Minseok in jail, life has been beyond peaceful for them. QM has made massive progress in the industry, with Mingyu now being able to lead his company how he was meant to, how his father meant for him to. Their son Daejung is nothing but a ball of joy. He’s always so happy, and now that he’s three he’s also become a chatterbox. Talking Mingyu and Jeonghan to death, but they wouldn’t trade that for the world. As for Seokmin and Hana, they are now married, have been for about two months now. They are also expecting a child together, with Hana being now three weeks pregnant. Jeonghan is hoping for a girl, Mingyu hopes it’s a boy.

As for the rest of the family, Jeonghan’s family visits at least once a month, mainly to see Daejung. Same for Mingyu’s mother, and since she lives close by she often stays overnight, despite there being no guest room. Mingyu’s brother Mingi is a different story. After Mingyu and Jeonghan’s wedding he once again went off the grid, Mingyu tried calling him a few times but gave up in the end.

Right now, Mingyu and Jeonghan were in the middle of moving into their first house. It was in the final stages of being remodeled, located just outside Seoul. Their city apartment was now becoming cramped, not to mention the noise complaints from their older neighbors. A crying baby is not pleasant at three in the morning. Their new house has five bedrooms, a playroom for Daejung, as well as four bathrooms. The house was massive just for the three of them, but they were planning on growing their family in the future.

Jeonghan is currently at home packing up the last few boxes in their kitchen, with Seokmin and Hana’s help.

“Daddy look at me!” Daejung was tucked inside one of the smaller boxes.

“What are you doing Daejung-ah?” Jeonghan laughed, Daejung is so cute.

“I can fit myself inside the box! Can I make this my secret hideout?”

“Of course sweetie.”

“Yay!!”

“Aww he is so cute!” Hana cooed. Since the day she saw him, she was in love, “I love babies. Seokmin and I have already thought of baby names.”

“Really?” Jeonghan had already known they were planning on have kids right away, but names, already?

“Yep, if it’s a boy Kihyun and if it’s a girl Taeyeon.” Seokmin said taping up a box.

“And if they’re twins we’re thinking Seoyeon and Seoyoung for girls or Donghae and Donghyuk for boys.” Hana added.

“Wow, you two are amazing.” Jeonghan laughed, “I hope you have twin girls, those names are so pretty.”

“Me too!” Hana squealed.

Finally they were done packing the kitchen. The company remodeling the house said the house was ready whenever they were. So they decided to move in tomorrow. They accumulated a lot of stuff over the past three years, and their style has changed since having Daejung. It’s no longer simple and comfortable, but colorful and familiar. They wanted their house to look lived in and loved. They ordered all new furniture and had it put into house so when they arrived all they’d have to do is put stuff up. Mingyu and Jeonghan were beyond ready to move, not just because of space and noise complaints, but because buying a house meant family, growth and forever. They loved their apartment but they were ready to take the next step.

By the next week they were settled into their new house. Daejung loved all the space, the first few days he spent his time running around the house laughing. He also loved having stairs, he liked to pretend it was a mountain and climb them, Mingyu often waiting at the top encouraging him.

Their new neighborhood was pretty private, which is surprising considering how close it is to the city. Only about twenty houses were on their street, most of the neighbors being older couples or couples with no children. Mingyu and Jeonghan were really hoping to find some kids Daejung’s age so he could start making friends. Right now he is very shy around other children, and with him starting school in two years, they had to act fast. Just then the doorbell rang, and when Jeonghan went to open the door he was met with an young woman and a small girl, who looked Daejung’s age. An answer to Mingyu and Jeonghan’s prayers.

“Hey, I noticed you and your husband moved in last week and I wanted to greet you.” The woman began the child clinging tight to her leg, “My name’s Son Kiyeon and this is my daughter Son Jieun, we live across the street.” She pointed to their house with her thumb.

“Oh yeah I saw you the other day.” Jeonghan remembered seeing someone at the house but he was too busy to look closer, “My name is Kim Jeonghan, my husband Kim Mingyu is at work right now, you’ll probably see him later and this is our son Daejung.” Jeonghan said noticing that Daejung was now next to him, clinging onto his leg, just like Jieun to her mother.

“Oh, he’s so adorable. Actually, he looks about the same age as Jieun. Jieun is three this year.”

“Same as Daejung.” Jeonghan realizing Kiyeon and her daughter really are a gift from heaven, “We’ve been worried about finding Daejung a friend to play with. He’s very shy around other children.”

“So is Jieun, I’ve set her up on playdates but the always end with her crying for me to come get her. I was starting just consider home schooling her.” Kiyeon sounded just as desperate as Jeonghan was.

“Hey, how about you two come in. I was just about to make some coffee.” Jeonghan said widening the door for them to enter.

“Oh thank you, that’d be great.”

As they walked in Jeonghan saw even clearer how clingy Jieun was. Even as Kiyeon walked she clung so tight to her leg, she could barely move it. Having Daejung and her become friends was going to be very difficult. Jeonghan and Kiyeon sat down at the island in the kitchen while they watched Daejung and Jieun “play”, basically just playing with toys by themselves.

“Ahh, just as I what afraid of, she playing by herself again.” Kiyeon sighed deep, “I just don’t know what to do anymore.”

“My mom said when I was little I was very shy but I grew out of it as I got in school. Maybe it’ll be the same for them.” Jeonghan said trying to reassure her and himself.

“Yeah I guess, but I just don’t want her early years to be so lonely. Being alone is painful even for kids.” Kiyeon stared at her coffee.

“You’re a single mom.” Jeonghan said as a statement rather than a question.

“Yeah, my boyfriend left me as soon as Jieun was born. Leaving me to raise her by myself, not knowing anything about raising a child. I was so afraid and lonely, it ate me up inside. I don’t want that for Jieun. I know she wants friends but she just has a hard time getting comfortable with other kids. I want her to have someone to lean on when I’m not there you know?”

“I know exactly what you mean.” Jeonghan felt her pain, feeling as if your child is lonely outside of home is hard.

“I don’t want you to feel as if I want to force them to be friends by the way. If this doesn’t work out then I’ll just home school her and…”

“Wait.” Jeonghan said cutting her off, “Look.”

Kiyeon turned to see what Jeonghan was talking about and there it was. Daejung and Jieun were playing together, and smiling, laughing even. Sharing toys and helping each other. It was the most beautiful thing she’s ever seen.

“Oh my god, they’re playing together.” Kiyeon couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Mommy, mommy! Look at what me and Daejung made!” Jieun said smiling brighter than Kiyeon has never seen before, “We made a castle!”

“Wow, it’s amazing guys.” Kiyeon praised, “You guys are master builders.”

“Can we stay longer mommy?”

“Only if Mr. Kim says we can, sweetie.”

“Please, Mr. Kim, please~?” Jieun held her hands together, pouting. There was no way Jeonghan could say no.

“Of course you can, Jieun-ie.”

“Yayy~!”

“Let’s build a house next!” Daejung said smiling at his new best friend.

Kiyeon and Jieun stayed until about noon, leaving to go home to eat lunch, even though Jeonghan said he wouldn’t mind cooking for them. Kiyeon said Jieun had some food allergies and to ask him to cook for her would be too much. Right before leaving Jeonghan and Kiyeon exchanged numbers, marking their new friendship. Jeonghan felt a lot more at home in their new neighborhood. And he felt a lot better knowing Daejung had a new friend to play with, rather than just Mingyu and Jeonghan or alone. When Mingyu came home, Daejung became very talkative.

“Dad, I made a new friend today!”

“Really? That’s great bud. What’s their name?” Mingyu asked putting down his bag.

“Her name is Jieun. She’s very funny and we both like playing with bricks. Her mommy Ms. Son is nice too, she gives the best tickles.” Daejung then ran over to Jeonghan who was in the kitchen, “Daddy can they come over again tomorrow?”

“I’ll ask Ms. Son tonight, okay? Now go sit, it’s time for dinner.”

“Okay!”

“So Jieun-ie you like playing with Daejung?” Kiyeon asked her daughter as they ate dinner.

“Yeah! He’s super fun, I want to visit again soon. Can we go over again tomorrow?”

“I’ll ask Mr. Kim tonight alright?”

“Yayy~!!”

And of course the answer was yes.