15

[pentagon] : runaway

 

Jinho had managed to set out a checklist for the people in the household to fulfill. Before they ever run out of money, Jinho thought of finally setting rules and stop living free before life flashes out of their eyes.

 

“I thought this was a journey to free ourselves?” Shinwon asked Jinho who still has his eyes glued to the piece of paper that he held using his right hand and the left hand that touches the strands of his hair.

 

Hui was just waiting for Jinho’s cue to finally speak and direct the people living under the same roof, “It is, but we’ll die if we spend my and Yanan’s money to our liking,” he said before looking over at Jinho and nodding at Jinho’s signal.

 

Yanan was bored to death. After he was pulled by Wooseok to sit together in a circle and forced himself inside the small space that they live in, he did not open his mouth to talk to any of them and just wished for this to finish so he can finally rest his body on the couch.

 

Hui clapped his hands first and took the piece of paper that Jinho passed over to him, “So here is what we’re going to do.”

 

Shinwon and Wooseok seemingly looked for each other before finally setting their eyes to Hui’s gaze.

 

“Yanan is rich, I am beyond broke but never rich, Jinho’s bank is whining, Wooseok’s house is small and you,” Hui pointed at Shinwon, “You were expensive.”

 

Shinwon rolled his eyes at Hui’s remark and made a face before catching a pillow on his hand and throwing it at the grinning older, “Shut up.”

 

Jinho just watched them play with each other with a smile on his face. His eyes travelled over their faces and analyzed each one of them. But he couldn’t help and notice Yanan’s eyes that were hateful and stared at him for a little longer.

 

“I had nothing left with me, hyung,” Wooseok raised his hand and voiced out his concern at the two oldest making Hui and Jinho to snap their heads in his direction.

 

“Nothing?” Jinho asked with his eyebrow raised up.

 

“I meant money,” Wooseok clarified with a shrug of his shoulders and dismissed the topic by looking over at Yanan’s direction, “Well, money is everything,” he said directly at Yanan’s eyes, as if he was directly saying that to him.

 

Idiot,” Yanan whispered.

 

Yanan’s eyes were just staring at a single direction, with nothing to focus on, it was mostly staring blankly without any intention of getting into the conversation between the five of them. Jinho just watched him again, for a lot of times this day.

 

Hui smiled at Wooseok and began rambling again, “So we figured that even though we are running away, it doesn't mean that we should hide,” this time his eyes were also glued to Yanan, just like the oldest, Jinho.

 

Shinwon always thought that Hui and Jinho were alike. The way that their kindness reaches to people and their wisdom that buries itself deep into their thoughts, creating a food for their thoughts-- Shinwon always thought that they were alike. Though Hui was someone who smiles at everything, and Jinho who frowns at everything, they were the exact opposites that attracted each other and became their pillars.

 

For some reason, Shinwon’s doubts about this journey are dissolving, as if they are turning into an air and slowly vanish.

 

“We propose that we should get out of this cave and explore the streets,” Hui said before standing up and placing the piece of paper on the side table.

 

Stretching his arms and staring at the light that is near its limit, he realized that their journey doesn’t end here. Though this space beneath the land was funded with memories that they cherished, Hui wanted for them to live more.

 

“We’re broke and you want us to explore the world?” Yanan challenged Hui which earned him a smack on his arm by the youngest.

 

Hui chuckled at Yanan and looked over at him, “You were a model, right? Don’t you want to see the world?”

 

This time, Shinwon was sure that Hui should be offended and reprimand Yanan, but he still smiles, like the kind man that he is, his eyes remained smiling.

 

“Actually, don’t answer that. I just know that you want to see the world,” Hui tiptoed to Yanan’s direction and squatted down to meet his face with his smile, “After all, you already have a home to get back to.”

 

Hui reached his hand out to Yanan, waiting for him to place his hand to Hui’s. Confusion washed out Yanan’s face and his eyes staggered to Shinwon and Wooseok, waiting for at least a sign of what he’s to do, but Wooseok just grinned at him and stood up walking towards Jinho.

 

Meanwhile Shinwon was still staring at Hui, watching the hands that he offered to Yanan be grabbed by the latter.

 

Jinho held Wooseok’s hand and tugged him before turning to Shinwon and reaching out his hand to him, “No one’s going to leave you, Shinwon,” and smiled at him.

 

Shinwon bit his lips and closed his eyes before getting pulled by Jinho.