10

[pentagon] : runaway

When tasks were given to Shinwon and Wooseok, one of them wasn't really fond of the agenda. Though this may be a good way to start a blossoming friendship, Shinwon still finds Wooseok stupid. Shinwon is indeed heartless, and he knew that himself; there are no excuses. But this certain instance where Wooseok would use his friend and his friend's companion to his advantage really burns Shinwon off.

"You're too much for telling me that I'm not alone and still thinks of me like that," Wooseok grumbly replied to the supposedly unspoken thoughts that he was able to hear out loud from the older.

Shinwon didn't mind, neither Wooseok did, but it is also important for them to talk to each other about this when they have nothing to do but run to a convenience store to buy food to feed their hungry selves and friends.

"I don't use people, Wooseok," Shinwon replied while still having his eyes fixed om the road in this cold night.

People that passed by them didn't pay them any attention. It was like they're nothing in between the reality of this world and only them knew that they exist. When people think that they're in the upper part of the hierarchy just because they have something more than the others, the weather and the gush of the wind would always prove them that they're nothing but a tool—and Shinwon wasn't fond of that.

A dry laugh was caught from Wooseok, "Yeah, sure, you clearly don't," he said with a monotone. 

Moments have passed and their legs still wobble against each other when they walk. Their knees are clicking and the store that they were looking for was already in their sight. No one wanted to talk, and no one wanted to open another topic, as if they're afraid of losing everything when they open their mouths.

They pushed the door to the convenience store and the first thing that they saw is a man that is tall, almost as tall as Wooseok, with pink hair and white polo. He was moving across each sections of food inside the mini store and his eyebrows would scrunch up and down when trying to read the letters scribbled down the packaging.

Though the two men clearly didn't care, one of them pushed the other to choose what they were going to eat and picked ice cream for each other to sit down on the bench waiting outside. On the left hand of Wooseok was a plastic bag containing their ramyeon cups and on the right hand of Shinwon was the plastic bag containing bottles of soju to calm their nerves later.

They stared at the glinting moon raised way up above the starless sky. Though the crevices and the contours of the clouds were noticeably moving, nothing about this night was holding them down, that is why they relied on the chocolate ice cream on their hands to double the coldness they felt.

"I am not using anyone, hyung," Wooseok mumbled while he the top of the ice cream and bit it. While in the middle of hurting his teeth, Shinwon replied almost instantly, "You're using someone. Don't even try to fool me."

"Well you're also fooling me, so I think you're quite a hypocrite," the younger commented. He felt Shinwon stiffened and looked at the bobbing head of the youngest who smiles inwardly as if he was winning.

"Sure, I am," Shinwon started, not paying attention to the pink-haired man that got out of the convenience store, ringing the loud bell, who also slowly approaches the duo, and watched every movement that Wooseok does, "But at least, I don't use myself the way that you do," and what Wooseok doesn't.

Evident on the face of the youngest was shock and a pooling up anger inside him. He was sure not to show any weakness, but how was Shinwon able to see that in him?

"When I said that you're no longer alone, I meant it, but that didn't mean that you no longer feel lonely," he was sure to be someone who had no empathy and sympathy to show to people. He wasn't someone like Hui who'd hug a person, a stranger more of, when he sees them cry, nor was he like Jinho who would reach up to whoever was there, taller or not, just to let them feel someone's touch.

He wasn't any of them because he wasn't trying to be anyone—even being himself.

But seeing a fragile man like Wooseok, boosted up his ego and gave him a little bit of identity. Sure, he didn't like Wooseok, but you don't have to like someone to be nice to them.

"Don't get me wrong, Wooseok," Shinwon said before munching up a layer of his ice cream cone, "I use Jinho, Hui and you to give my life a meaning because I am envious of how they could smile at each other even if they are clearly strangers," he bit an another layer of his cone, "But how can I get my life some meaning if one of the people I rely to, slowly loses himself?"

This time, Shinwon bit the last piece of the cone and turned around to face Wooseok who's still listening to his rambles. He knew that Wooseok was bracing himself to be strong and was preparing himself mentally for the things that he will hear from Shinwon.

If only Wooseok knew that Shinwon could speak like this, he would never agree to come with him to this place.

"I am not losing myself," Wooseok defended himself, brushing off Shinwon's remarks about his actions.

Wooseok wasn't running away to hide himself from the embarrassment of being caught. In fact, he was running away because someone finally heard his whines that only Hui could hear before. He was genuinely afraid that Hui would slowly lose himself trying to fix the broken parts of Wooseok, that was why he ran away to avoid breaking Hui instead.

"Idiot," Shinwon chuckled again and brought his hand to Wooseok's cheeks and pressed them, "You are," Wooseok resisted the urge to push the hands down from his cheeks and hide himself from him, "So stop doing this to yourself. Stop wanting to die so badly because you really didn't want to die," Shinwon squeezed the flesh beneath his palm once more and removed his hand, "Stop using yourself as an excuse."

Wooseok seemingly stopped breathing and stared at nothing. His ears rung a very loud pitch noise and he knew that Shinwon was right. The man beside him was right and he's wrong. It  to admit that, but it's relieving to know that someone knew him better than he knew himself.

Though he wanted to stop himself from reaching out to the man that stood up, he placed his hand on his and tugged on him, "You know, I don't like you," he said with a smile.

And the man he holds on to also replied with a smile, "Yeah, I know, and I don't like you too."

Across the peripherals of the two was a walking tall man with his pink hair that finally approached their vision. The man only bowed his upper body slightly and looked worryingly at the two. Their eyes constricted and a sudden rush of adrenaline flowed through their veins before one of them asked—

"How may I help you?"

"I'm Yanan," the man answered at the question that did not ask for his name.