14

[pentagon] : runaway

Changgu had always been kind to everyone, even if people weren’t kind to him. As a response to every downfall that he got, he’d smile, cover himself up before running away and crying in an isolated room with nothing but himself to be with.

 

He was just that positive, and maybe that was why people began to mistreat him and take him for granted because he was kind.

 

He had always believed that for him to live his life fully, he should be able to coexist with other people and build relationships with them, despite the fact that relationships aren’t always mutual.

 

He just wanted to be the standard, the brightest, the kindest, even if he’s slowly losing himself.

 

He had nothing else to give but himself, that was why when he saw Hyunggu walking down the hallway of the community college that they both enrolled in, he immediately wanted to befriend him. He wanted to at least be able to give someone, like Hyunggu, some kind of faith, even if it was the most absurd thing he ever desired to do.

 

Hyunggu was all smiles. Despite his running mouth that speaks the unfiltered truth and words that describe situations in the most realistic way, he was still all smiles. He was that positive, he was that raw, real and unflawed.

 

He was that adorable. To the point that even if his mind was wicked, Changgu would still cling his arms around him and guide him.

 

To him, they were two different people that collided and became the inseparable duo. Their opinions clash, their attitudes do not mix up, and even if they banter, at the end, they’d still laugh it off.

 

Changgu would smile, and Hyunggu would laugh.

 

Their best assets.

 

Changgu fluffed the hand on Hyunggu’s hair and pulled him aside from jumping from excitement, “Gu, still with me.”

 

Hyunggu was still head over heels from the fact that he finally had a job and won’t be leeching off Changgu's educational savings. He was also delighted of the fact that he was able to dance, in front of people, and most importantly, in front of Changgu.

 

“I told you hyung! I am the best!” Hyunggu exclaimed at Changgu as he wrapped his arms around Changgu’s waist causing Changgu to trip over his foot and used his arm to look for balance.

 

Underneath the night sky and stars that peeps over the dark clouds, Changgu had always wished to be happy. Sometimes, he loses faith in people, in himself, and even the signs that the stars blinked at him weren’t even enough to give him a sense of reality.

 

And even if he was the sunshine that everyone thought he was, he’s just someone who needs the same sunshine that people were draining out of him.

 

“You are?” Changgu asked with a grin and held Hyunggu’s body to him as a support.

 

People told him that Hyunggu looks like his brother. Not only because they are both skinny, both fair-skinned, but because their facial features looked alike and they pretty much act the same.

 

But all of that was a lie.

 

“I am! Did you see my popping--” Hyunggu was cut off by Changgu’s sudden frown and push of arms.

 

“You’re not the best, Hyunggu. You should know that by now.”

 

Changgu’s tracks continued slowly, as if he was waiting for Hyunggu to get over his shock and finally walk with him back to their hole of an apartment. His eyes lingered over the people that passed by them, his eyes were searching for some things that he couldn’t find for years. He wanted the smile to remain stitched on his face, even if his cheeks fell off from this fake act, he wanted to be the epitome of the light, but sometimes, his fuels burns off completely.

 

And he began losing himself.

 

Hyunggu paused for a while and watched Changgu’s head that lowered down with each step that he took before running to his side and wrapping his arms again at the older, “You told the arcade owner that my mouth was foul, but did you ever think that you’re the one who’s a bastard?”

 

And when he loses himself, Hyunggu was always the first one to look for him and find him.

 

“Why did you run from your parents Hyunggu?” Changgu answered without actually responding to Hyunggu’s question.

 

Hyunggu stopped from bobbing and pulled Changgu’s waist to him and buried his face on his back, “Because I wasn’t happy,” and whispered the words that Changgu always received from him everytime he asked the same question.

 

“But your sister’s there.”

 

Changgu stated the fact like it was not something that Hyunggu reflects about every night. Leaving his sister was his biggest mistake, and he knew that.

 

But leaving his sister was also the best decision he made because--

 

“But I am not happy there,” Hyunggu this time released his arms from tugging Changgu and used his hand to slowly pull Changgu’s head to look up at the sky.

 

Changgu’s eyes stared at the moon that revealed itself after clouds repelled themselves from its sides. The moon shone brightly at the night and reminded him of the light that he should be emitting, because now is not the time to weep.

 

“If you’re not happy with something, why would you still do them?” Hyunggu mouthed and held Changgu’s head inside his palm and forced him to look up even if Changgu’s eyes were slowly closing from the tears that formed.

 

“Because that’s who I am,” Changgu’s lips mouthed those words even though they frail. It was almost like a stutter, but Hyunggu was determined to show Changgu.

 

“You’re the one who decides who you are, Changgu. Not me, not them, and not all the people that told you that you should be fine,” his hand slowly moved from Changgu’s head to Changgu’s hand, and pulled the hand that cling onto him with desperation and guilt, “You can’t shine the brightest if the only thing you knew is the darkness.”

 

The grip tightened, and the pressure almost formed white patches on the area that Changgu held close, yet Hyunggu remained calm and collected. He watched Changgu lose himself a lot of times, and every time he did that, he was the first one to be of aid.

 

Even if Changgu wanted to help other people, Hyunggu knew that Changgu first needed to help himself.

 

“I thought you’re positive?” Hyunggu laughed at Changgu’s remark.

 

“I am real, hyung. I am neither positive nor foul-mouthed,” Hyunggu said as his arms once again wrapped at the thin waist of the older, “I am real.

 

Though his actions seem repetitive, Hyunggu realized that sometimes, all you ever need is a hug.