Ep 02 - A Solution for Jealousy

The Jealousy Incarnate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Episode Two

 

Joohyun isn’t smart. At least, not in the romance department.

She guesses it was the downside of her so-called beauty that swoons even the most cold-hearted person in all of Velvet Academy, for girls and boys alike. She grew up with kids her age offering her flowers with rushed letters of scratch papers and pencils along with their cliché rhymes that over time; she came to memorize.

“Joohyun, you’re so pretty! Please go out with me!”

“Joohyun, you make my heart beat crazily! Go on a date with me?”

“Joohyun, you send butterflies in my stomach! So can you please be my girlfriend?”

Her heart never fluttered, not once, so she thought she had to wait. Besides, love isn’t something that you try to hurry, right?

But she’s growing impatient. Joohyun didn’t mean to, but sometimes her jealousy comes in and she doesn’t know what to do with it.

Joohyun knows it’s wonderful to fall in love, but as she grew restless waiting for that someone, she felt stuck. She’s not good at making friends. Even the idea of introducing herself to someone new makes her knees jelly in anxiety.

Yes, Joohyun’s not smart when it comes to romance. She’s as clueless and dense as everyone who never had it before.

And yet, Joohyun’s afraid. She had heard it before, the sad tale of a beautiful maiden living in a humble home. (Joohyun likes reading fanfictions. Where she read this, I don’t know.)Talks about that maiden’s grace reached the distant lands and far away kingdoms that princes and benevolent adolescent men came from far and wide to profess their undying admiration. However, all those people move on and find some other lady to marry, leaving the maiden alone. She had turned into an art, a beauty only meant to admire...

That young woman must’ve grown old living with a cat or something, Joohyun wasn’t too sure.

Well, our dear protagonist didn’t want that. She’s more than the beauty she has. And perhaps she wishes people could see that too.

 

“—and then, Moonbyul and I ended up eating ramen on our way home~!” Solar beamed as she narrated her supposed confession that happened the late afternoon before.  Her eyes seemed to turn into hearts as she recalled the sweet memories of last night.

Chorong and Joohyun couldn’t even cheer for their friend. They were both conflicted between cheering for her and telling her how stupid she was. It was stupid. Solar confessed the evening before but since she got too nervous, she took back the words ‘I like you’, brushing it off as a confession rehearsal for the actual thing. They could even picture the scene in their heads. Solar must’ve said those three words with flushed cheeks, trembling knees and crazy-beating heart before her mind rebooted. “That’s only a joke! For practice! Help me practice for a confession, Byul-ah” Solar must’ve blurted that right after. They could even imagine Moonbyul’s expression. From a look of surprise to a flushed face and finally into an image of pure disappointment. The two girls know that wasn’t in the script. Poor Moonbyul.

Gosh, I don’t even know if Moonbyul’s that naïve to go along with Solar’s practice. Joohyun thought.

 “I see…” Chorong mumbled.

“So that’s what happened,” Joohyun added.

The two shared a look, counting down from three using their lips.

One.

Two.

Three. 

“Wait… THAT’S WRONG! THAT MEANS I FAILED!” Solar’s former heart eyes turned into wide orbs of wails and disappointment at her failed confession.

Chorong and Joohyun shared a giggle. They have already expected that happening. Solar do focus on the less important things.

“All right, at least keep your legs closed. You’re a girl.” Chorong said, pushing Solar’s knees together.

“So you charged on the battlefield only to retreat. That’s very Solar of you.” Irene giggled, teasing her friend who now looks like a kicked puppy.

“No, it’s not! It’s just—it’s a tactic, okay?!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever you say~”

“You two are teasing me!”

“We’re not~,”

“You are!”

“Fine!” Solar huffed as they reached the gates of their school. “How are you and Eunji, Rong-ah?”

The girl under investigation (well, not exactly) blushed. There was an obvious hint of pink on her cheeks that did not go unnoticed. Thankfully, the academy’s rooftop garden is empty today. They can all die from embarrassment and no one would bat an eye on it.

“Just the usual.” Chorong supplied vaguely.

“The usual? What’s the usual then?” Solar pried on.

“We just go home together, that’s all. Why? Are you expecting something more?”

Solar crossed her arms in thought. “I expected Eunji to have more game than that. I swore she’s also interested in you.”

“She’s busy with the winter play, remember?” Chorong timidly replied. “We might not go home together after this week.”

“Eyy, don’t sound so sad. You can wait for her after practice!” Solar suggested, “or you can help for the winter play too! Can she do that, Irin? Can she, can she~?!”

“Yeah, well, we need help for the props. You can help with the songwriting too. Most of the songs are just covers but I’m planning to have the confession songs original.” Joohyun smiled, “Son Seungwan-ssi is already writing the second lead's confession. You can write for the girl’s confession, Rong-ah!”

Joohyun must have been too excited for a moment. When she got no reply, she glanced at her friends who now had -eating grins on their lips. Now, what does that mean…?

“Why?” Joohyun asked in confusion.

“Nothing,” Chorong answered, elbowing Solar next to her.

“Yeah, just that…” Solar continued. “… how about you, Irene? Do you have crushes lately?”

Joohyun wasn’t expecting t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter