Ep 10

The Jealousy Incarnate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode Ten

 

Seungwan was never a nosy person. Her parents didn’t raise her as such.

Instead, she was taught how to give people space when they need to, to give way when people need time for themselves, and to not interfere when a person she likes is, in fact, spending time with someone else. Her parents said it is selfish of us if we want our friends to only stay by our side.

But as a kid, Seungwan couldn’t understand it. It doesn’t make sense to her. Won’t you want the people you love to be near you every time and as much as possible? Back then, she’s not someone good with letting go. Seungwan is quite territorial with the one she loves.

And yet, the time came when she had to, back in 3rd grade.

Seulgi was sick then and had to leave to recuperate. It was the hardest year for Seungwan. After all, Seulgi is the only person she has ever known. Other kids were mean to her and she had built these walls around that only let her best friend in. When Seulgi came back, they became attached by the hip. It was their own, secret bubble.

That bubble, of course, got bigger when Eunji, Solar, and Moonbyul came in her life which also extended to Chorong who is now Eunji’s girlfriend.

Then there’s Bae Joohyun, the biggest mystery in Seungwan’s life.

Seungwan’s feelings were always clear to herself, what she should do with it is the challenge. She confessed and she is starting to be optimistic, yes, but it isn’t always easy.

Especially when cool and handsome guys keep popping everywhere in Bae Joohyun’s flowery path, now that’s the hardest part.

“Hey, Wan?” Seulgi called out to her best friend who is obviously gritting her teeth. She, Seungwan, Eunji, and Moonbyul is hiding behind the corner of the building’s walls, trying to grasp the conversation between Irene Bae and the new alleged suitor of the campus beauty. They have a huge, black cloth all over them with eight holes so they can see through. “Don’t kill me or anything but I think you emptied your banana milk drink a long time ago. It’ll be good if you don’t try to grip it as much. Poor milk bottle…”

“It’s a plastic bottle.” Moonbyul retorted.

“Your opinion is invalid.”

“Why you-sksksks!”

“You two, cut it out!” Eunji interrupted their fight. “Our cover’s about to be blown! And I can’t even hear clearly what they’re talking about!”

“Cover, my ! We are already obvious with this black coat all over us! Whose idea is this?!” Seulgi retorted, glaring at her friends.

Moonbyul pinched Seulgi’s . “This is better than your idea of closing our eyes!”

“But it’s the rule of the battle! Anyone who you can see, can see you! So if you don’t want to be caught, don’t look at them! So you have to close your eyes! Oww! Stop pinching me, you idiot!”

“Seriously, stop it!”

“Quit pushing!”

“I’ll kill you just this once, Moon!”

“Great, bring it on, Kang!”

“Hey, you’re pushing Seungwan out!”

“AHHHH THAT HURTS!”

“YOU’RE GRIPPING TO TIGHT!”

Now, if Seungwan wasn’t that jealous, she would’ve minded about the ongoing fight.

However, the green-eyed monster haunting her mind would let her see nothing but Joohyun and that good-looking gummy boy wearing that Velvet Academy for Boys’ uniform. So, no, Seungwan has lost touch of reality and the next thing she knew, she was enveloped by the ground. Hard.

“Shoot.” Eunji, Moonbyul, and Seulgi cursed.

Darn it! I shouldn’t have let these three idiots come with me! Now, I just embarrassed myself yet again in front of my crush! Being jealous so much that I eat the ground to my face, aish!

Seungwan didn’t want to intrude. She just wants to peek a little at the corner of their school building and make sure that guy with a gummy name won’t do anything he’d regret. Her fist was even ready for a fight.

Of course, that was all bluff. Seungwan knows she has no right to interfere with Joohyun’s romances. She’s just one suitor among the many. Her fist isn’t even that strong to actually land a good punch.

But I’m jealous… and that guy just appeared out of nowhere… I can’t let Joohyun get whisked away that easily, right?

Seungwan covered her eyes with her right arm in frustration, feeling an upcoming nosebleed as she’s almost close to tears. Seungwan, you lame idiot! Joohyun definitely won’t like you acting like a possessive idiot! You’re not her girlfriend so stop acting like a jealous one! Argh!

“Seung…wan?”

Seungwan stood up quickly at the mention of her name. She couldn’t even spare a glance at Joohyun with how embarrassed she feels. Instead, she tilted her head up at the side, hoping her tears would return to where it came from.

She did sneak a dirty, middle finger on her back directed at her best friends who gulped in fear. (Not really the middle finger, it would be too uncouth so she usually uses her index finger. Seungwan still has manners despite being MAD mad.)

Dang it, why am I such a loser?!

“S-sorry.” Seungwan cleared , still refusing to look at Joohyun. “I was just walking around with the kids and tripped over something. I apologize for my sudden interruption. So yeah, I’ll go now. Bye!”

Seungwan dashed away. No way will she witness another one of the confessions Bae Joohyun receives every other day. That will only make her heartbroken.

But Joohyun did give me a chance… she’s not leading me on, right?

“That gummy boy sure is good looking though…” Seungwan muttered dejectedly to herself as she walked back to the school grounds. Putting a straw in her favorite milk drink, she sipped quickly as if it will take her bad feeling away. “Neat hair, nice smile, and when they stand next to each other, they’d look like a good couple. How can I fight with that?”

Seungwan felt her eyes growing hot as her mind continued to imagine that guy with Joohyun, hand in hand walking on the street, going on cute dates and all that.

Ah, this is not good… I’m going to cry… Seungwan held back a sob, hiding her eyes with her right arm once again.

“Oh? Wendy…?”

Seungwan looked up and saw Jennie who just walked out of their classroom. Seeing the girl, Seungwan dropped her arms and ran to the girl. “JENNIEEEEEE!”

“O-oh—WOAH!” Jennie was surprised, catching Seungwan in her arms just in time before the girl collapses in front of her. “Are you… crying?”

Seungwan shook her head as she buried her head deeper in Jennie’s neck. She was obviously sobbing though.

So uncool, Seungwan, crying in someone’s arms just because you’re jealous. Pathetic! T T 

But then, this is Jennie so it should be alright. Jennie is sweet and nice and she listens to my worries… I mean, Eunji, Seulgi, and Moonbyul also listen but they are more like guys so their advice is rarely helpful. 

“Is this about… her?”

Seungwan didn’t answer. It was fairly obvious.

Jennie chuckled at the rare sight of adorable Seungwan who is crying like a child who just lost her lollipop.

“I told you, you’re not a zero percent, right? So you shouldn’t cry…” Jennie whispered to soothe the girl.

And perhaps Jennie is right. Seungwan is never a zero percent to Joohyun. And seeing the brown-haired girl all over Jennie’s embrace, Joohyun wondered just how much of the green-eyed monster she secretly has in her heart could she tolerate.

 

 

 

If you ask Joohyun, she’s not familiar with the word jealousy.

It was fair, considering how she never really h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter