Chapter 8

Days With You

Even after saying she’s fine countless time, Suinn took her home and stayed with her.

“You’re not asking me anything?” she asked her. They seated together in her sofa. They turned the TV on, but Sooyoung just stared blankly at it. Suinn just seated calmly while holding her.

“I’m waiting for you to tell me,” he looked at her. She smiled.

“Moon Suinn, you are one simple guy. You don’t ask questions, you patiently wait. Good boy,” she laughed and pat his head.

He chuckled. “I’m all ears whenever you’re ready, but don’t force yourself. You must be confused,” he her hair and kissed her forehead.

“You know, I hated him for what he has done to me. But as a longtime friend, I pitied him and I’m sad. I’ve met his sister Sunhyo a few times before, but she’s gone now. As a psychologist, I want him to be better because his condition could get worse. So I hated him, but I pitied him and want him to get better……” she sighed. Suinn listened while looking at her. It’s his specialty—he really listens to others. He wouldn’t do anything, he just looked the speaker in the eyes.

“It’s fine, Sooyoung-ah, you obviously want him to get better. I overheard at the clinic you said you couldn’t treat him yourself, is that true? Or just an excuse?” Suinn asked. This was his second specialty; being straightforward. He is always like that. Sooyoung called him a reality checker. He always gave logical explanation, and Sooyoung loved it whenever he does that.

“It’s true. You know, I’m quite popular among mothers. I have a lot of children to take care of,” she bragged. Suinn laughed.

“But I think you should keep him in check. Maybe to make you feel at ease?” Suinn suggested.

Sooyoung didn’t say anything. She doesn’t want to do anything related to Seungjae, but at least she can ask Dr. Jung about his condition from time to time. Yes, to make her feel at ease, or at least for the sake of his sister.

“Maybe I could do that when I’m not busy.” She hugged Suinn tightly. “Where else I can find a very supportive boyfriend like Moon Suinn-ssi? He didn’t even get jealous.”

“Why would I be jealous of someone who is not well? Besides, he didn’t even make a move to my girlfriend,” he hugged her back. She grinned.

“See? I will be fine as long as I spend my time with you,” she said.

Suinn couldn’t help but smile. “So, you’ll be fine as long as you’re with me,” he repeated.

“Yes,”

“So you need to be with me for a long, long, long, time then.” he stared at Sooyoung’s big eyes.

“…yes.” she smiled.

“Okay, noted.” he smirked. He hugged her even tighter.

“What do you mean by that, oppa?” asked her, squeezed because of the hug.

“Just making sure that you’re voluntarily want to keep me around you for a long time,” he broke the hug and kissed her.

--

Joohyun bit her nails. Seungwan just called her and told her about Sooyoung.

She remembered it as clear as a day—how miserable Sooyoung was because of Seungjae. Before Seungjae, her former boyfriend in high school, Dohwan, cheated on her with her classmate. She has been through a lot, and she knew if one of then suddenly showed up in front of her, she would be very uncomfortable.

“Don’t worry too much, Joohyun-ah. She’s professional, she’ll be fine.” Junmyeon hugged her. She only nodded.

“By the way, don’t you think it’s time for them to get married?” he suddenly brought up the topic.

“Ya, Kim Junmyeon, that brat is still young and immature. How can she take care of her husband?” said Joohyun. Junmyeon chuckled.

“Why? I think she’s mature enough. Besides, Moon Suinn will take a good care of her.”

Joonhyun agreed; Suinn was so good to her. He’s sincere and kind to her family. Joohyun likes him so much, she was always thankful that finally Sooyoung has someone who value her worth. Someone who’s serious and didn’t hurt Sooyoung.

“True, but— my Seungwan just got married. I’m not ready to let another one leaving me.” she pouted.

“You’re being ridiculous. You met them almost every week,” Junmyeon replied her.

“But I used to meet them every day,”

Junmyeon sighed. His wife’s mood swing is no joke this day, but she’s cute. Someone who’ll soon become a mother acted like a kid.

“Aigoo, little Junmyeon, let’s let your mother rest. She’ll go crazy at this rate,” Junmyeon talked to her belly and dragged Joohyun to their bedroom.

--

 August, 2017

“Oppa, I’m really sorry. I won’t do that again. I’ll always check my phone.” said Sooyoung. They were in the car on the way back to Sooyoung’s apartment.

Suinn didn’t say anything. He just focused on the road.

“I didn’t realize I keep my phone on silent. I didn’t do this on purpose,” Sooyoung shifted her body to face him. She touched his arm.

“You only need 30 seconds to text me. What I’m supposed to do when I said I’ll be going to your place, but when I arrived you are nowhere to be found and I can’t contact you?” he coldly answered her.

This stupid Park Sooyoung forgot that Suinn was going to her place at 8pm. Her longtime friend Seokwoo suddenly called her because he was in town and she agreed to meet him in the nearby café while waiting for Suinn to come to her place. They chatted a lot and she didn’t realize her phone was on a silent mode.

“Ya, it’s getting late,” said Seokwoo. Sooyoung immediately checked her phone that has been on her pocket. It's 9pm and there were 15 missed calls from Suinn.

“Omo, omo, omo. Ya Kim Seokwoo it’s nice meeting you but I have to go—I’m in a trouble, see you around!” she left hurriedly. When she called back, his voice was as cold as ice.

“Opp—“

“Where are you?”

“Oppa, you know my friend Kim Seokwoo, right? He’s in town and—“

“Where are you?” he sounded firm.

“Mitsumi Café,” she answered.

“I’ll be there in 10 minutes.” and hung up the call.

After he picked her up, he didn’t say anything.

“Do you know how worried I am?” he asked her.

“I know, and I’m sorry. I wouldn’t do that again. I promise.” she answered.

After that day, Sooyoung always texted him her whereabouts. He is kind and rarely got upset, but when he did, it’s terrifying and Sooyoung didn’t want to experience it again. She knew he was worried.

--

Sooyoung woke up late. It’s Sunday. She checked her phone, they were 4 missed calls from Suinn. She immediately called him back.

“Hi, were you sleeping? I’m sorry,” he said.

“Yes, but I’m awake now. Why?” asked her.

“Nothing, just checking up on you. it’s unlike you to get up so late,”

She smiled. “It’s Sunday, oppa. I have a morning shift yesterday. This is the only day I can sleep in,”

“Okay, then. What’s your plan today?”

“Nothing, except maybe going to your place for lunch. I’m too lazy to even lift a finger,”

He chuckled. “Want me to pick you up and have lunch somewhere?”

“No, I’ll come to you. It’s time for me to check on your messy apartment,” she said.

“Oh my, I’m in trouble. See you, Sooyoung-ah. Be careful on your way here. Love you,”

“Love you,”

Sooyoung got dressed and went outside. She took the bus. She sat next to a beautiful girl, who brought a lot of food in her lap. At the bus stop near Suinn’s neighborhood, she can saw him already waiting there.

She and the girl at next to her coincidentally stop at the same bus stop. Suinn was all smile seeing her but suddenly his expression hardened and surprised— when he saw the girl who sat next to Sooyoung in the bus.