Chapter 5

Days With You

“Sooyoung-ah, how about we meet up tomorrow?” asked Seungwan over the phone.

“We both can make it. How about lunch at our usual place?” answered Sooyoung.

“That will be great. I baked some cookies today, I’ll bring it tomorrow,”

“I’ve been craving for your cookies! See you tomorrow, then, unnie.” Sooyoung disconnect the call.

“Oppa, Seungwan unnie asked for lunch tomorrow, and I said we’ll go!” she shouted at Suinn who was playing basketball by himself in the court near his place. He stopped and signaled “ok” with his right hand.

Sooyoung came back to her seat and her piles of her patients’ charts. She worked as a psychologist specializing in children’s growth. it’s more comfortable to do her work at her study at home, of course, but working while watching Suinn practice was a better choice.

“You still have work left?” he came to her side, panting. She immediately gave him his towel and water.

“A little bit. You remember the kid named Woonyoung?”

“The one who has difficulties speaking?” he sat next to her.

“Hm-m. She came with her mother yesterday, and she said a few words. She even greeted me,” said Sooyoung with a smile while looking at Woonyoung’s chart. Sooyoung loved it how Suinn remembered every single details she had told him before, even things about her work.

And she still felt butterfly in her stomach seeing him like this; panting hard after practicing, drenching in sweat with a towel in his shoulder. She felt grateful for knowing and being with him. She loved how she can fully be herself—and he accepted her for who she was.

“You must be happy. And hungry. What about beef bone soup?” asked him.

“Exactly what I wanted.”

 

--

Suinn loved watching Sooyoung eat. He loved it since they eat udon together 4 years ago. She didn’t try to eat “beautifully” just because she’s with him—her way of eating was already beautiful.

He suddenly remembered those sleepless nights back in his last year of college. After their first meal together, Suinn wanted to eat with her again. He was contemplating with himself at the moment, he didn’t confident enough to ask her out, after all he was an ordinary guy while she is like someone out of his league. Park Sooyoung was tall and beautiful and shone the brightest in the hall. The boys automatically grinned whenever she greeted them to start the practice. She has her own charming way in managing the boys, even Coach Janghoon acknowledged that.

He remembered the day he went to the BBQ place not far from campus with Sangyoon and Eunwoo. It was three days after he and Sooyoung had udon together.

“I got a message from our Sooyoung—she said I should work out tonight,” Sangyoon checked his phone. “This girl is really strict!”

“Eunwoo, how you become close to Sooyoung?” Suinn suddenly curious.

“I was a member of the photography club in my freshman year and I met her there. She was dating the president of the club back then,” he chuckled.

“Really? I didn’t know. Are they still dating?” asked Suinn.

“They broke up at the beginning of the year, noona suddenly left the club and I followed her. As far as I know, Hayoung noona told me they didn’t end well and Sooyoung noona was very down,” Eunwoo explained.

“Yook Seungjae from law major? He’s my junior— he dates Seolhyun now. You know Kim Seolhyun, right? The ballet major,” said Seungyoon while drinking his beer.

“Yerin noona told me the reason was Seungjae hyung only see noona as her little sister, and loves Seolhyun-ssi as a woman. After they dated for almost a year,” Eunwoo explained.

“You sure know a lot of things,” replied Seungyoon.

Suinn couldn’t say anything. He can’t imagine the situation. Sooyoung must be so broken hearted. Treated like that with a man you loved is painful. He really wanted to comfort her—but how?

Suddenly, there was the notification on his phone. It’s from Sooyoung. Speaking of the devil.

“Wanna grab a beer? I think it’s your turn to hear me out.”

Suinn grinned. “Ya, I need to go—“ he grabbed his coat and put some cash on the table.

“Ya! Where are you going?” asked Seungyoon and Eunwoo, but Suinn already left.

 

--

Sooyoung cursed, why would she text him like that? Will he think she got the wrong way just after they eat udon together? She bites her nails. Impatiently waiting for his reply.

She had a rough day today. On her way home after class, he accidentally saw Seungjae with Seolhyun. She can’t run away because that was the only way to exit the campus complex. She had no choice but to walk faster so they didn’t notice her, but Seolhyun saw her.

“Sooyoung!” she cheerfully greeted Sooyoung.

Sooyoung cursed, but awkwardly greeted her back. “Hello, unnie.” Seungjae looked uncomfortable and didn’t say anything.

“Are you going home?” asked Seolhyun.

“Yes, unnie.”

“Seungjae and I are going to eat tteokbokki, do you want to join us? I haven’t met you for so long! Yook Seungjae, Sooyoung and I used to practice ballet together in the same academy in high school, have I told you that? By the way, this is Seungjae, Sooyoung-ie..”

“O-oh yes,” he awkwardly answered her. Sooyoung just nodded and tried her best to not make eye contact with him. Didn’t Seolhyun know that Seungjae and Sooyoung used to be a couple? But then she thought Seungjae can’t call them a couple.

“Thank you unnie, but I have to go—I have a group work,” she lied.

“Ah, sure. Let’s meet up soon, then. See you around!” Sooyoung forced a smile and walk as fast as possible.

Such a bad day, she thought. Yook Seungjae looked like a fool and she hated him more. She can’t hate Seolhyun even though she really wanted to. That unnie is kind to her back in the ballet academy and until now. She hoped Seolhyun won’t have to get hurt by that jerk Yook Seungjae just like her.

 

--

“Sure. I’ll pick you up in 10 minutes.” Suinn replied her in less than 5 minutes.

Sooyoung reflect thew her phone. What did she just do? She immediately changed her outfit and brushed her hair. She picked a decent outfit and ran out of her apartment. She couldn’t hide this happy feeling inside. She thought maybe talking to Suinn can help her forget this awful day.

At the lobby, she saw a familiar black car. The car window rolled down, and there was Suinn with his gentle smile. “Get in,”

Sooyoung took a deep breath and seated herself next to him. “I’m sorry for asking you this late, you’re not busy, right?” asked her while wearing her seatbelt.

“It’s okay, I’ve been craving for beer too. Do you want to eat? How about beef bone soup? I know a—“

“I’ve been craving for beef bone soup.” she immediately answered and he grinned.